Talk

Advanced search

Isadora?

(23 Posts)
snowshoes Fri 25-Sep-09 12:33:49

WDYT?

Also, what are our options for nicknames? I can only think of Izzy and Dora. I don't care for Dora, and Izzy just sounds like it's short for Isabelle/a, which is lovely but tremendously popular ATM. Besides, with so many Isabelle / Isabellas running around right now, if half of them get Izzy, our Izzy-for-Isadora won't sound very unique anyway. Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Persephoponce Fri 25-Sep-09 12:35:32

Not overly keen, to be honest. I always think of the ballerina who died tragically or Wizadora from that 80s kids programme (forget name!).

Dora is the cutest nickname... but obviously there is The Explorer to consider wink

Dory?
Zadie / Sadie?

Cortina Fri 25-Sep-09 12:36:52

Damn this is getting popular! I knew it would!

Everyone laughed 3 years ago and made negative comparisons with Isadora Duncan (never mind that most out there have no clue who she was).

Issy is what it tends to be whether you want it to be or not - peers go for it. I know one. Dora is lovely I think.

The one I know is also know as Wizard and whizzy .

lucky1979 Fri 25-Sep-09 23:50:18

I think it's really nice, although you will be stuck with Izzy as a nickname, unless you try something like Zazz which is a bit...off the wall.

mrswoolf Sat 26-Sep-09 00:58:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

thumbwitch Sat 26-Sep-09 02:40:50

Isadora - I like it as a full name, not so keen on Izzy or Dora, or even Dorrie.
Iza (pronounced maybe with a long I, like ee) would be ok though.

Or, here's an off the wall suggestion, you could call her a short second name, like May (yy, I know it's uber popular at the mo) and call her Izzy-May for short. But perhaps not.

scattykatty Sun 27-Sep-09 19:59:27

Wizadora is all I think of. My sister reminded me of the program when I considered this name and ruined it forever!

Bellsa Sun 27-Sep-09 20:03:29

She'd get scarf jokes. But it is a pretty name. I like Isa for a shortened name, too.

Tidey Sun 27-Sep-09 20:05:09

Isadora neccessity on a house?

Actually, I think it's quite nice, I like Izzy as a nn.

StayFrosty Sun 27-Sep-09 20:07:48

I love it. Twas on my list for current bun in oven, who is apparently a ds. It means 'gift from Isis' which I think is beautiful. I love Dora and Dorrie as nicknames.

People will say 'ha ha, reminds me of xyz' about any name before your dc arrives and that name is fixed on as definitively theirs, ime, but once they are born and you give them their name then they just stfu and go 'oh how lovely' unless they are very very rude indeed. If you like it, use it.

snowshoes Mon 28-Sep-09 11:05:42

Thanks for the input.

scattykatty, I've never heard of Wizadora - will have to Google that one!

campion Mon 28-Sep-09 13:40:45

I teach an Isidora ( spelt that way) who is known as ...Isidora.

You don't have to have a shortened name and everyone seems to cope.

Nice name BTW and less common than Isobel ( various spellings).

Cortina Mon 28-Sep-09 13:44:08

Interesting, Campion. This is an 'accepted' alternative spelling I think (the gift of Isis) and might be someone trying to get around the unfortunate associations some have with Isadora Duncan. (I read recently that both her young children were killed/drowned when her handbrake failed or something and the car rolled backwards down a hill into a lake. She didn't have much luck with cars it seems. A bit chilling)!

campion Mon 28-Sep-09 16:15:59

The Isidora in question comes from an E. European background, Cortina, and I think that's the correct spelling there.

Isadora Duncan def didn't have much luck with cars since as well as the tragedy with her children, she ( famously) was killed by her scarf getting entangled in the wheel spokes of an open-top car as it set off. Unfortunately, she was attached to it. Narsty!

But you probably knew that smile

Cortina Mon 28-Sep-09 16:26:49

Yep. I didn't know about the E European spelling. I do know of a few Latin American and Hispanic Isadoras, seems popular in Latin America.

FuriousGeorge Mon 28-Sep-09 19:02:40

I like Isadora,but we chose Isabella and have only ever come across one other Isabella in 6 years.Her friends do call her Izzy hmm,but no one else does.

janeite Mon 28-Sep-09 19:04:59

I love it. Isa as a nn. Or Dorry (isn't Dorry in What Katy Did, or have I imagined him?).

snowshoes Mon 28-Sep-09 23:58:54

I think Isidora is the older spelling, as the masculine Isidore has been around for ages. I could be wrong, but I thought Isadora Duncan was actually the first (popularly) to spell it with the A. I just think where we are now, it would make more sense to use the A as people are more familiar with it that way.

FuriousGeorge, in my son's preschool he has an Isabella, an Isobel, a Bella, and a Belle. Oh, and an Ella.

FuriousGeorge Tue 29-Sep-09 15:51:18

I'm really surprised snowshoes! The only other one we know is my friends' dd,who is 3 years younger than dd1.Never met another one anywhere.

Cortina Tue 29-Sep-09 15:53:38

Isabella is very popular in middle class enclaves

mrswoolf Tue 29-Sep-09 17:36:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

snowshoes Tue 29-Sep-09 23:45:41

FuriousGeorge, I'm actually in Australia. I think Isabella (or some variation) is our current #3. I think it's a beautiful name but it is seriously everywhere here, along with Ruby, Grace & Mia, so I'm just looking for something a little different.

StrikeUpTheBand Wed 30-Sep-09 09:07:42

Wizadora, we adore her, doing things in her very special way....!

Other than that it's a lovely name - and I guess her own generation won't have heard of Wizadora so why not?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now