Talk

Advanced search

Do other's opinions really matter?

(33 Posts)
anniemac Thu 24-Sep-09 12:03:46

Message withdrawn

AMumInScotland Thu 24-Sep-09 12:35:37

Dh and I discussed and agreed names between ourselves - it never even occurred to us to ask anyone elses opinions! I think the desire to check what random people in the internet think of your choices is something peculiar to forums like this...

anniemac Thu 24-Sep-09 12:43:49

Message withdrawn

Prunerz Thu 24-Sep-09 12:44:49

I think it's a good idea to run it by a few trusted people in case you haven't sussed that the initials spell TWAT or something grin

Other than that, it isn't anyone's business. People do feel they can make comments, though, just as they do on any aspect of parenting. It's a bit of a free-for-all but most advice or comment is easily ignorable smile

Lots of people in my family hated the name we chose for ds and now say that it was a great choice that suits him really well. I am glad we didn't listen to them. (MIL emailed us with alternatives! shock)

anniemac Thu 24-Sep-09 12:50:47

Message withdrawn

Cortina Thu 24-Sep-09 12:54:25

Agree. Be brave, be bold. I find those that criticise most loudly have chosen the names I would never consider in a million years.

anniemac Thu 24-Sep-09 12:55:19

Message withdrawn

ninah Thu 24-Sep-09 12:57:36

I agree, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks

tummytickler Thu 24-Sep-09 13:43:51

I pick names that i love (and then bulldoze dh into loving them too grin), and nobody could change my mind.
However i often ask opinions on this board and others because I am interested int he opinions even if they don't really matter.
Also to make sure there is no current faddy supersatr with the same name, and to make sure it is not super duper popular.
I have 4 dc's and i have learnt that 3 of them have been or are Emmerdale characters, i don't watch soaps so would never know that but i know others do and might think i am a crazes Emmerdale fan! This does influence a name for dc5 - i would not knowingly choose a name that had appeared in Emmerdale - damn those Dingles - there names are so cool!

Blu Thu 24-Sep-09 13:46:28

DP and I didn't share our chosen names with ANYONE. The first time anyone knew what he was called was the birth announcement.

TheHeadbangingWombat Thu 24-Sep-09 13:49:27

I do think that it matters to an extent because if your choice of name is met frequently met with horror and disbelief then it's likely that your child is going to be given a hard time about their name, and they're the ones who have to live with it.

A few negative reactions wouldn't sway me but I would think twice if I received almost nothing but those.

hulabula Thu 24-Sep-09 14:01:02

Without knowing a posters's tastes/style/values, then their comments have very little 'meaning' to me....

Say a poster who describes my name choices as 'poncy' loves the names Chardonnay and Jayden. I'd expect, even hope, for them to dislike my name choices!

It's like asking random people about our hairstyles, favourite meals etc. We all have different tastes and that should be reflected in our choices (of names and everything else)!

But more importantly, why are so many of us keen to get 'approval' on their choices? Ok, pointing out unfortunate initals or associations is one thing, but endorsing a name ("its lovely!") is another. Why are we so keen to please other people's tastes rather than focus on our own likes and dislikes?

hulabula Thu 24-Sep-09 14:02:54

But why, unless you name your child Frankenstein or something, would ANY name be met with "horror" and "disbelief"?

pagwatch Thu 24-Sep-09 14:07:43

But people post asking the most extraordinary things on here. I don'tthink asking what people think of your childs name is any weirder than the people who ask for opinions re their holiday or job hmm or their childs school shock

All of which strike me as really odd.
But it really interesting reading grin

anniemac Thu 24-Sep-09 14:18:01

Message withdrawn

TheHeadbangingWombat Thu 24-Sep-09 14:22:10

You obviously haven't read some of the names that people have actually considered on here Hula.grin

If it's met with only strong negative reactions then I think it would be a good idea to reconsider. The poor kid has to live with it.

TheHeadbangingWombat Thu 24-Sep-09 14:27:26

And there are quite a few very unusual names that I love, and would like to use, but I probably wouldn't because I know what other's reactions would be.

pagwatch Thu 24-Sep-09 14:33:47

smile and i suppose if you are considering a made up or unusual name you might just want someone to tell you that you have chosen the name of Ancient Finnish God of Excrement or that your name backwards is arsetit ( advice dear titesrasmummy should have heeded)

Ok . I made that up but it is not out of the realm of possibility

pagwatch Thu 24-Sep-09 14:36:35

I am such a child. I now want to post

"what do you all think of Titesra"

and see if anyone tells me.

TheHeadbangingWombat Thu 24-Sep-09 14:37:53

Do it.grin

pagwatch Thu 24-Sep-09 14:41:24

as you wish
grin

( I knew you would want to be involved )

TheHeadbangingWombat Thu 24-Sep-09 14:41:36

That was a mistake wasn't it. I'll know better next time.grin

pagwatch Thu 24-Sep-09 14:43:09

grin

What is worse is that now you will suspect all mumsnetters of not warning you that your child is an arsetit...

TheHeadbangingWombat Thu 24-Sep-09 14:48:31

LOL.grin

Knaw does have a certain ring to it.

TheHeadbangingWombat Thu 24-Sep-09 14:53:49

Is it just me or do some people actually think that we're being serious?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now