Talk

Advanced search

This has been vetoed, but I'm curious - Innes?

(73 Posts)
Habbibu Wed 23-Sep-09 11:00:32

For a boy? This may be more relevant to Scottish MNers - DH doesn't like it as he thinks it's poncy, but is happy enough with other Scottish names (he's Scottish, and we live in Scotland). What do you think?

dizzydixies Wed 23-Sep-09 11:01:17

I adore Innes - knew one once and he was divine smile

Habbibu Wed 23-Sep-09 11:03:03

(dizzy - hello! Saw news of your plans in the LibDem newsletter!)

dizzydixies Wed 23-Sep-09 11:05:22

grin I get about a wee bit!! We're aiming for Spring - had 3 meetings and another one this week so am about demented - was working in Manna yesterday too smile

now, more importantly, tell me is this name for you to use!?!?

gomez Wed 23-Sep-09 11:05:51

Might be the same one as dizzy I was in lurve with an Innes in my teens. I think it is a fab name - my DH (Scottish, lives in Scotland) vetoed many names I was keen on for boys (including Innes) on the basis he had been a boy in a Scottish playground (I clearly hadn't) and he knew what a poncy name could lead to....

FaintlyMacabre Wed 23-Sep-09 11:06:01

Makes me think of Spanish girl's name Inez, I'm afraid. But I think it might grow on me.

BunnyLebowski Wed 23-Sep-09 11:07:58

Oooh I like it!

There is the Spanish girl's name Inés. Makes me think of this annoyingly beautiful model

Ines Sastre

But I'm sure there'd be no confusion as it's a pretty obscure name.

dizzydixies Wed 23-Sep-09 11:08:54

Faintly its a different sound - pn more link Inn-Is as opposed to the Spanish EEnez iyswim

Habbibu Wed 23-Sep-09 11:08:58

gomez, I think that's DH's take too. But I think that Archie, say, is just as posh. FM - are you scottish?

Dizzy - you work in Manna? Oh - we'll have to develop a secret sign. I love that place... And yes! 39 weeks today - don't know if it's boy or girl yet.

haggisaggis Wed 23-Sep-09 11:09:09

I don't partcularly like it - and I have also heard it used for a girl.

LadyoftheBathtub Wed 23-Sep-09 11:10:23

I love it. I know one (adult) male Innes and also I know of a girl called that (yes spelt that way too) which I think is cool.

dizzydixies Wed 23-Sep-09 11:12:00

Habbibu - I help out on occassion smile am not back in again till the 1st though - you should be pretty obvious at either overdue and stroppy or with new born grin congrats

have you chosen a girls name?

TheHeadbangingWombat Wed 23-Sep-09 11:12:10

I don't like it.

FaintlyMacabre Wed 23-Sep-09 11:13:58

I've never even been to Scotland blush. So my opinion on Scottish boys' names is probably not very useful...
Having said that, I like Angus, which is (sort of) a similar sound.

dizzydixies Wed 23-Sep-09 11:15:00

well tis time you visited then Faintly!!!

Habbibu Wed 23-Sep-09 11:17:36

I'll be the one with the massive Silver Cross pram and very tall 3yo, looking knackered and buying lots of cake, dizzy.

No, haven't chosen a girl's name, but do have a reasonable list. Innes is off the table, but I was just curious to know what other people - Scots in particular - thought. FM, Innes is actually a variation of Angus. But I've never liked Angus.

dizzydixies Wed 23-Sep-09 11:24:51

oh I have a very tall 3yr old too and also look knackered and eat too much cake blushgrin

I have recently heard of the following up here

Kinnear
Nairn
Struan
Rory
Fraser
Donald
Duncan
Blair
Cameron x 200
Calum
Curtis
Glen
Fionn
Seoras - not that I have the faintest how that one is pronounced!

hullygully Wed 23-Sep-09 11:26:00

Habb - congrats! What about Pablo?

glasgowlass Wed 23-Sep-09 11:28:24

Oh I love Innes!

I know an Innes(5 years old) and he is the cutest, sweetest wee soul.

BunnyLebowski Wed 23-Sep-09 11:31:25

Love your list dizzy and may I venture Sore-ass for the last one? grin

dizzydixies Wed 23-Sep-09 11:34:38

grin its as good as any of the other pronounciations I've come up with!!!!!

Habbibu Wed 23-Sep-09 11:36:46

If you look on the Scottish GRO website the top 10s are v diff from the English ones. I thought about Ruaridh for a while, but have gone off it.

hully - thank you! But <suspicious face> I am never sure whether you are serious or not. And think DH may well veto Pablo - one thing I know, this half-Scottish quarter Irish child will be as milk-white as his/her parents - hard to carry off Pablo...

dizzydixies Wed 23-Sep-09 11:38:21

grin Habbibu mine are half irish half scottish and manage to carry of an italian, a latin and a greek name lol

what about Donnie? not often heard these days - possibly for a reason but has some cute factors

Jed?

hullygully Wed 23-Sep-09 11:38:24

You have forgotten Pablo...

How is Innes pronounced?

Habbibu Wed 23-Sep-09 11:38:31

Shaw-ris, apparently. Gaelic for George.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now