Talk

Advanced search

Does a different spelling = chavvy???

(75 Posts)
mosschops30 Wed 23-Sep-09 10:46:26

You know what I mean, when you see some odd spelling of a 'normal' name just so that it looks 'special' but often ends up just looking ridiculous.

Am asking because the name Aidan is on my shortlist, but have also seen it spelt Aaden and Aedan, which I prefer to the traditional spelling.

What do you think of the alternative spellings?

yes.

Also he will spend the rest of his life spelling out his first name, it's very tedious.

Hassled Wed 23-Sep-09 10:52:07

Alternative spellings certainly equals a bit dodgy to me. Not so much chavvy as misguided. It's like randomly deciding to start spelling tomato as tommartoe. Pointless.

LadyGlencoraPalliser Wed 23-Sep-09 10:55:47

Chavvy, check.
Annoying for owner of name because nobody will ever spell it right, check.

FimboFortuna Wed 23-Sep-09 10:57:14

I know of a Ju-Leigh and Chellea, both just look ridiculous spelt like that.

BunnyLebowski Wed 23-Sep-09 11:04:45

Right.....Aidan is a beautiful name. It's by dad's and my brother's name.

All of the following are accepted spellings of the name.

Aidan
Aiden
Aodhán
Áedán

The following are NOT

Ayden
Aaden
Aydan
Aidyn

Just bear in mind that if you live in England the traditional Irish spellings are probably going to cause confusion in the spelling and pronounciation.

Changing the spelling for your own silly and superficial reasons is not fair on the child and will guarantee him a lifetime of correcting people and spelling it out.

BunnyLebowski Wed 23-Sep-09 11:05:50

Fimbo - ROFL at Ju-Leigh!!

What's Chellea when it's at home?!

Tillyscoutsmum Wed 23-Sep-09 11:06:36

If it ain't broke..........

Sallypuss Wed 23-Sep-09 11:08:28

I had this dilemma too. DH is Irish and wanted the Irish spelling of DD's name. I wanted the name, didn't much care how it was spelt - we do end up spelling it every time we have to give DD's name so is a bit of a PITA but went for the Irish spelling for a reason not to be chavvy.

LadyGlencoraPalliser Wed 23-Sep-09 11:09:47

Chellea = Shelley?

FimboFortuna Wed 23-Sep-09 11:12:49

LGP - has it. It was the name of a party host's mother on an invitation dd received quite a few years ago now, I didn't know the person and had to squint at it quite a few times and say it out loud, until I had a lightbulb moment and realised it was Shelley.

jellybeans Wed 23-Sep-09 11:19:32

I prefer Aidan.

mosschops30 Wed 23-Sep-09 11:22:01

well I guess thats settled then grin Aidan will be added to shortlist!

hullygully Wed 23-Sep-09 11:22:04

I think it's a bit sad rather than chavvy.

nappyaddict Wed 23-Sep-09 12:08:44

I like Aden, Aiden and Aedan as they are proper alternative spellings to Aidan. However Aaden looks wrong to me.

BunnyLebowski Wed 23-Sep-09 12:10:33

I would argue that Aden isn't an accepted spelling. Except in Summer Bay.

mrswoolf Wed 23-Sep-09 13:34:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

twirlymum Wed 23-Sep-09 13:41:44

I knew of someone who called their dd Channel, rather than Chanel, then wondered why everyone mispronounced it.

pooexplosions Fri 25-Sep-09 19:35:04

I think it makes the parents look a bit thick, as if they couldn't spell, or trying to hard to be different without the imagination to actually think of anything different.

That said, my name is often mistaken for an alternative spelling of a different name, and it isn't. Its annoying.

skihorse Sat 26-Sep-09 23:01:40

Gosh, pooexplosions is me.

It just makes the parents look as thick as two short planks, e.g., Neave.

My own name is sometimes mispronounced by idiots who are unaware that there is a male and female version. I judge them.

LadyOfTheFlowers Sat 26-Sep-09 23:05:05

I agree it's a bit silly.

The child will be forever explaining.

MamaVegas Sat 26-Sep-09 23:11:56

Sadly I know someone who called their child Sian (as in Sharn). But then announced it (and still uses) "See-Ann" as parents didn't know how it should be pronounced.

Cortina Sun 27-Sep-09 13:11:29

I saw a boy on the register as 'Micheal' (Michael) that was his given name (spelling) rather than a mistake.

I've also met a Micheala (now wondering if that is somehow correct given Micheal)?

pranma Sun 27-Sep-09 13:15:46

I agree that it looks as if parents are a bit errrrr thick blush as if they either cant spell or think its somehow 'unusual'to have an odd spelling of a normal name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now