Talk

Advanced search

Name for possible sister of Ava

(18 Posts)
julietbat Mon 21-Sep-09 14:22:47

I'm 35 weeks pregnant with dc2 and although we seem to have quite a few boys names we like, girls names are much more of a problem. Our 18 month old dd is Ava Rose and our surname begins with M. Ideally we'd like a relatively uncommon name - mind you, we thought we'd found that with Ava (funnily enough I really didn't like it until she popped out and then it just 'seemed right') and now it turns out that the name is becoming more popular with every secondshock!

I'm a big fan of not having any sort of pattern to siblings names (ie, I'd rather not have another beginning or ending in A). I am also not a fan of using an obvious nickname as the whole name, I'd like to try and find a 'proper' name I like even if the nn was the one we used by default.

At the risk of being told we have terrible taste, these are our measly ideas:

Esme
Elizabeth (Bess)
We really like Nell as a nn but not sure about Helen/Eleanor/Elena as full version.
We also like Claude as nn but don't like Claudia/Claudine/Claudette.

Help!

To make matters worse, dp and I both teach in a girls school so most names we come up with already have a connotation attached to them!

Doozie Mon 21-Sep-09 15:16:53

Ava & Violet. Cute!

titfertat Mon 21-Sep-09 15:21:12

Bess/Beth/Libby are all good nn for Elizabeth

How about Ellen (shortened to Nell)?

claraquack Mon 21-Sep-09 15:22:45

Honor

Megan

Romilly

Robyn

dizzydixies Mon 21-Sep-09 17:41:00

Celeste
Ismay
Saskia
Violet
Penny
Eleanor nn Nell
Cara
Cleo
Nina
Nancy
Corinne
Kitty
Niamh
Verity
Constance

florence2511 Mon 21-Sep-09 18:11:31

You can also shorten Penelope to Nell.
Esme is cute, but how would you pronounce it. I know 2, one pronounces it Esmay and the other Esmee.

squeaver Mon 21-Sep-09 18:14:16

I know an Ava with a sister called Vivi. Don't think it's short for Vivien/Vivienne/whatever

SilentBob Mon 21-Sep-09 18:19:13

I know a Claude whose full name is Cordelia?

florence2511 Mon 21-Sep-09 18:21:29

vivi could be short for Genevieve

dizzydixies Mon 21-Sep-09 20:15:20

SilentBob I know a Cordelia who's known as Dylan grin

what about Hebe

cookielove Mon 21-Sep-09 20:17:53

My sister is Neva which my dad shortened to nelly which could be shortened to nell in a round about way

though you could just call her nelly shortened to nell if you like the name

Rachmumoftwo Mon 21-Sep-09 20:26:09

Not Maria

pippel Mon 21-Sep-09 20:27:29

Josephine

lowrib Mon 21-Sep-09 20:30:58

Other possible Nell names:

Ornella
Cornelia
Fenella
Helena

lin125 Mon 21-Sep-09 21:25:30

My DD is also an Ava, if we have another girl would love to call her Sylvie - think it goes really well.

dizzydixies Mon 21-Sep-09 21:26:21

I heart Sylvie - DH wouldn't let me have it sad

julietbat Tue 22-Sep-09 08:13:35

Thanks for your replies - food for thought!

Dp and I have been really warming to Romilly recently and I have always loved Sylvie too (I insisted it was on our list first time round) but dp is refusing to consider it this timesad. And I agree, I think it sounds lovely with Ava.

Florence - I like Esme pronounced Esmay, as if it has an acute accent on the second e.

I quite like Genevieve (dp doesn't) and we think we might like Constance (Connie), but it doesn't jump out at us!

Another name we both quite liked first time around was Dulcie. Again, I think it goes really well with Ava but dp has 'gone off it'. sigh

It's soooo much harder second time around!

julietbat Tue 22-Sep-09 08:17:04

Oh, and Violet is definitely cute with Ava but not sure about the diminutives - Vi (pronounced Vee or Vi) neither of us likes.

We're thinking about just naming him or her the same name as our surname (it is actually a Welsh first name for either sex) and being done with itgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now