Talk

Advanced search

Cameron - do you think...

(16 Posts)
TheMightyToosh Mon 21-Sep-09 11:57:11

... boy or girl?

Do you like it?

Cam for nickname?

And what would make a nice middle name? (We have a 1 syllable surname).

Having a boy and we really like the name, but with Cameron Diaz the most famous one I can think of, will everyone assume it is a girl's name?

TIA!

morningpaper Mon 21-Sep-09 11:59:04

no no no

not with him being hte incoming prime minster

by the time Child is at school, Cameron will be the man who has driven the country into the ground and possibly outed with some sort of awful sexual fetish to boot

bad timing

TheHeadbangingWombat Mon 21-Sep-09 11:59:22

Most definitely for a boy imho. I like it but I don't think that it needs a nickname. It's too nice to shorten.

Tidey Mon 21-Sep-09 11:59:43

IMO, it's more of a boy's name, Cameron Diaz is an exception. It's on the top 100 boys names, don't think it shows up as a girl's name though.

And I think it's lovely, by the way.

MmeLindt Mon 21-Sep-09 12:00:20

Boy, quite popular in Scotland at the moment, I think.

I like it.

AvengingGerbil Mon 21-Sep-09 12:01:46

It's ok as long as everyone pronounces all the syllables - I know one whose mother always calls him 'Camron' which is vile...

Tillyscoutsmum Mon 21-Sep-09 12:03:02

I definitely think of it as a boy's name. I know of one who is sometimes Cam. MP might have a point about timing though ..... unfortunately its our surname - perhaps we should consider changing by deed poll wink

MmeLindt Mon 21-Sep-09 12:04:04

MP
I did not even think of that. It really would not bother me though. I don't assume that all Georges are warmongering crazies and Angelas all have bad hair.

Binkster Mon 21-Sep-09 12:04:19

My sister in law is Cameron- she gets Cam or Cammie. But definitely will become too associated with David Cameron in the years to come. I think it works either as a boys' or girls' name, but then I have known both.

dogonpoints Mon 21-Sep-09 12:07:33

A boy's name but soo popular in scotland that I am bored of it

anamaria22 Mon 21-Sep-09 12:10:12

Cameron is lovely - for boys and girls!

I wouldn't see a need to shorten it - it rolls of the tongue nicely (and I don't really like Cam or Cammie for a boy).

Poshpaws Mon 21-Sep-09 12:14:24

I have a Cameron. We call him Cameron, Cam, etc.

He prefers Cam so that he can claim to his teachers that he only has to write Cam on his work hmm.

His friends, who are only 8, call him 'Camron'. Don't think this is such a big deal and he does not seem to bothered.

Definately a boys name though smile

smother Mon 21-Sep-09 13:47:21

Potential prime minister issue is a problem. I know a little girl called Blair.

TheMightyToosh Mon 21-Sep-09 14:10:59

Thanks everyone. Hadn't thought of the political connections blush

We're in the South West, so perhaps it isn't as popular there as in Scotland?

Good to know it is classed as a boy's name though. I know it from Ferris Beuler's Day Off (cos I'm old!), but I wasn't sure if younger other people would always associated it with Ms Diaz, so thanks for your help, MNers!

dizzydixies Mon 21-Sep-09 22:10:50

they are 10 a penny up here in Scotland, every second boy in DD's school is Cameron

if that doesn't bother you I DO like it and think it works fine for either boy or girl smile

David Cameron is a pillock though grin

Pingpong Tue 22-Sep-09 19:44:40

I love it, very popular in Scotland but so what.
I really don't think the David Cameron thing is an issue and if it is then thousands of boys in Scotland are going to have to deal with it.
I do think naming your child after a mass murderer is wrong but sharing a name of a politican - not wrong!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now