Talk

Advanced search

names for girls inspired by female achievers, both in real life and in fiction

(34 Posts)
justbeenforapromenade Sun 20-Sep-09 17:51:36

A poster on another thread complained that Daphne was rather an underachiever in Greek mythology as she was pursued by Apollo, turned in to a laurel tree, job done.

Which females have done such great deeds that they would merit a dd becoming their namesakes - and you actually like the name too? Have you named or would you name dd after a politician, writer, your grandma?

Is it important to be named after a doer?

FaintlyMacabre Sun 20-Sep-09 17:55:34

I wouldn't name a child after anyone. But it is a bonus if a lovely name has extra significance. DS would have been Rosalind if a girl- we didn't pick it on purpose for Rosalind Franklin but I did like that aspect of it IYSWIM.

LittleMissNosey Sun 20-Sep-09 17:58:11

Rosa (Luxemburg and Parkes)

Rosa is one of my favouite girls name

southeastastra Sun 20-Sep-09 18:11:21

daphne was also pretty cool in scooby doo grin

tummytickler Sun 20-Sep-09 18:23:10

my 8 year old dd is Iris, partly for Murdoch and partly for my grandmother, mostly because we loved it.
I love that she has such an amazing namesake, hopefully she will too.

Meglet Sun 20-Sep-09 18:26:09

Rosa after Rosa Parks is lovely. Not sure how I didn't use it for dd actually, I always meant to use it.

pasturesnew Sun 20-Sep-09 18:28:46

I've always admired George Eliot, real name Mary Ann Evans. Also the Bronte sisters, Anne, Emily and Charlotte and Dorothy Wordsworth, William's sister.

I like Elizabeth in Pride and Prejudice, also Elizabeth I was an impressive queen of course.

Beatrice is the guide to heaven in Dante's Paradiso and a good lively character in Much Ado About Nothing, and Beatrice Webb the social reformer, also Beatrice Potter was a strong independent woman.

Katharine in the Taming of the Shrew is quite good, isn't she? Also Portia in The Merchant of Venice.

I like both Jane Austen and the character Jane Eyre.

Grace Darling was a lighthouse keeper who saved lots of people in a storm, she is a heroine of mine.

Georgiana Duchess of Devonshire was quite ahead of her time.

You've also got the suffragettes e.g. the Pankhurst sisters, Christabel and Emmeline.

bronzebeard Sun 20-Sep-09 18:30:16

I think if you like a name and it has a extra significance then thats important but I wouldnt use it for the sole reason of naming

Though the other way there are names I wouldnt use because of a person- Myra for example which is sad as its a fairly pretty name

pasturesnew Sun 20-Sep-09 18:30:50

Agree that Iris Murdoch was impressive.

Also admire:

Nancy Astor

Marie Curie

GirlsAreLOud Sun 20-Sep-09 18:33:21

Amelia Earhart, for me.

I loved the name, and I liked the fact that the only famous one I can think of was such a strong character.

LadyoftheBathtub Sun 20-Sep-09 18:34:13

I like Stevie after Stevie Smith (and Wonder! ) - DP not sp keen though.

Hollyoaks Sun 20-Sep-09 18:38:15

pasturesnew Grace Darling was a really brave woman and a distant relative of mine. Nice to see her on here.

pasturesnew Sun 20-Sep-09 19:02:24

Respect Hollyoaks.

ToAnswerYourQuestion Sun 20-Sep-09 19:14:59

dd's middle name is Jayne, after Jayne Fisher who was 9 when she wrote the Garden Gang books. This is because when I was 8 I was determined to become the youngest ever author but never made it grin and when I was growing up I always wanted to have a book published. I never did, and I gave dd Jayne as a middle name to remind me that I still had a life in front of me & that I could still have ambitions. It worked, too. It's been a real motivator (though my ambitions have changed!) and it's really nice to be able to explain to dd where the name came from. I got a couple of the Garden Gang books on Ebay too - and dd seems to have taken to the idea of writing books too. (She's 6 btw.)

GirlsAreLOud Sun 20-Sep-09 19:20:07

I LOVED the garden gang books!

<showing my age>

BitOfFun Sun 20-Sep-09 19:27:22

Enid <snurk>

thumbwitch Sun 20-Sep-09 19:30:22

Florence for Florence Nightingale would be one of mine.

cktwo Sun 20-Sep-09 19:31:20

Emmeline Pankhurst?

Geminny Sun 20-Sep-09 19:35:21

Margaret

pasturesnew Sun 20-Sep-09 19:39:26

or Mary for Mary Seacole

MarthaFarquhar Sun 20-Sep-09 19:43:29

Cordelia from King Lear is a great female character

I also like Rosalind, after Rosalind Franklin.

And Emmeline too.

MarthaFarquhar Sun 20-Sep-09 19:44:22

My own DD has DH's grandmother's name as her middle name - she was a rather formidable lady.

dogonpoints Sun 20-Sep-09 19:51:56

I don't think it's at all important to be named after a do-er.

But I would consider Lisa after Lisa Simpson

Hormonesnomore Sun 20-Sep-09 19:54:25

Ellen is a lovely name.

Ellen MacArthur is a real achiever.

dogonpoints Sun 20-Sep-09 20:05:36

A lot of achievers are a bit odd.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now