Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

names for girls inspired by female achievers, both in real life and in fiction

(34 Posts)
justbeenforapromenade Sun 20-Sep-09 17:51:36

A poster on another thread complained that Daphne was rather an underachiever in Greek mythology as she was pursued by Apollo, turned in to a laurel tree, job done.

Which females have done such great deeds that they would merit a dd becoming their namesakes - and you actually like the name too? Have you named or would you name dd after a politician, writer, your grandma?

Is it important to be named after a doer?

FaintlyMacabre Sun 20-Sep-09 17:55:34

I wouldn't name a child after anyone. But it is a bonus if a lovely name has extra significance. DS would have been Rosalind if a girl- we didn't pick it on purpose for Rosalind Franklin but I did like that aspect of it IYSWIM.

LittleMissNosey Sun 20-Sep-09 17:58:11

Rosa (Luxemburg and Parkes)

Rosa is one of my favouite girls name

southeastastra Sun 20-Sep-09 18:11:21

daphne was also pretty cool in scooby doo grin

tummytickler Sun 20-Sep-09 18:23:10

my 8 year old dd is Iris, partly for Murdoch and partly for my grandmother, mostly because we loved it.
I love that she has such an amazing namesake, hopefully she will too.

Meglet Sun 20-Sep-09 18:26:09

Rosa after Rosa Parks is lovely. Not sure how I didn't use it for dd actually, I always meant to use it.

pasturesnew Sun 20-Sep-09 18:28:46

I've always admired George Eliot, real name Mary Ann Evans. Also the Bronte sisters, Anne, Emily and Charlotte and Dorothy Wordsworth, William's sister.

I like Elizabeth in Pride and Prejudice, also Elizabeth I was an impressive queen of course.

Beatrice is the guide to heaven in Dante's Paradiso and a good lively character in Much Ado About Nothing, and Beatrice Webb the social reformer, also Beatrice Potter was a strong independent woman.

Katharine in the Taming of the Shrew is quite good, isn't she? Also Portia in The Merchant of Venice.

I like both Jane Austen and the character Jane Eyre.

Grace Darling was a lighthouse keeper who saved lots of people in a storm, she is a heroine of mine.

Georgiana Duchess of Devonshire was quite ahead of her time.

You've also got the suffragettes e.g. the Pankhurst sisters, Christabel and Emmeline.

bronzebeard Sun 20-Sep-09 18:30:16

I think if you like a name and it has a extra significance then thats important but I wouldnt use it for the sole reason of naming

Though the other way there are names I wouldnt use because of a person- Myra for example which is sad as its a fairly pretty name

pasturesnew Sun 20-Sep-09 18:30:50

Agree that Iris Murdoch was impressive.

Also admire:

Nancy Astor

Marie Curie

GirlsAreLOud Sun 20-Sep-09 18:33:21

Amelia Earhart, for me.

I loved the name, and I liked the fact that the only famous one I can think of was such a strong character.

LadyoftheBathtub Sun 20-Sep-09 18:34:13

I like Stevie after Stevie Smith (and Wonder! ) - DP not sp keen though.

Hollyoaks Sun 20-Sep-09 18:38:15

pasturesnew Grace Darling was a really brave woman and a distant relative of mine. Nice to see her on here.

pasturesnew Sun 20-Sep-09 19:02:24

Respect Hollyoaks.

ToAnswerYourQuestion Sun 20-Sep-09 19:14:59

dd's middle name is Jayne, after Jayne Fisher who was 9 when she wrote the Garden Gang books. This is because when I was 8 I was determined to become the youngest ever author but never made it grin and when I was growing up I always wanted to have a book published. I never did, and I gave dd Jayne as a middle name to remind me that I still had a life in front of me & that I could still have ambitions. It worked, too. It's been a real motivator (though my ambitions have changed!) and it's really nice to be able to explain to dd where the name came from. I got a couple of the Garden Gang books on Ebay too - and dd seems to have taken to the idea of writing books too. (She's 6 btw.)

GirlsAreLOud Sun 20-Sep-09 19:20:07

I LOVED the garden gang books!

<showing my age>

BitOfFun Sun 20-Sep-09 19:27:22

Enid <snurk>

thumbwitch Sun 20-Sep-09 19:30:22

Florence for Florence Nightingale would be one of mine.

cktwo Sun 20-Sep-09 19:31:20

Emmeline Pankhurst?

Geminny Sun 20-Sep-09 19:35:21

Margaret

pasturesnew Sun 20-Sep-09 19:39:26

or Mary for Mary Seacole

MarthaFarquhar Sun 20-Sep-09 19:43:29

Cordelia from King Lear is a great female character

I also like Rosalind, after Rosalind Franklin.

And Emmeline too.

MarthaFarquhar Sun 20-Sep-09 19:44:22

My own DD has DH's grandmother's name as her middle name - she was a rather formidable lady.

dogonpoints Sun 20-Sep-09 19:51:56

I don't think it's at all important to be named after a do-er.

But I would consider Lisa after Lisa Simpson

Hormonesnomore Sun 20-Sep-09 19:54:25

Ellen is a lovely name.

Ellen MacArthur is a real achiever.

dogonpoints Sun 20-Sep-09 20:05:36

A lot of achievers are a bit odd.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: