Talk

Advanced search

Laurie? acceptable girl's name?

(25 Posts)
Jeepers Sun 20-Sep-09 17:09:31

Like it but don't want to doom the small child to a lifetime of people expecting a man to walk through the door. What do you reckon?

LaurieFairyCake Sun 20-Sep-09 17:10:13

obviously it's fine wink

janeite Sun 20-Sep-09 17:10:26

Lovely for a boy; personally I don't like it for a girl, sorry.

hocuspontas Sun 20-Sep-09 17:34:37

Lovely. I would automatically think of a girl and would be surprised if a man walked through the door! grin

violethill Sun 20-Sep-09 18:54:12

Would automatically think Laurie Lee, so man, definitely. Sorry!

Also, I think for a girl it's too close to Laura, so she'd have a lifetime of people mispronouncing it.

norktasticninja Sun 20-Sep-09 18:58:20

I really like it! How about Laurelie/Lorelei with Laurie for short?

Bellsa Sun 20-Sep-09 19:01:01

I would think it was more a girls' name. I love it!

rolledhedgehog Sun 20-Sep-09 19:02:47

I like it but would spell it Lori like Lori Singer of Flashdance and Fame (showing age!).

nomoresleep Sun 20-Sep-09 19:04:45

It's my favourite boys name and I wanted it for DS but DH didn't approve! I agree that Lori was be a better spelling for a girl.

bigstripeytiger Sun 20-Sep-09 19:05:54

I would expect Laurie to be a girl. I wouldnt think of it as a mans name.

TwoPersephone Sun 20-Sep-09 19:21:49

My first thought was the character from the boarding school books, Antonia Frazer I think. Laurie was female.

Scottie22 Sun 20-Sep-09 20:26:30

My ds is Laurie so for me is definitely a boys name! It is coming back more as a boys name after Americans making it popular for girls in the 70's and I now know at least 4 Laurie's who are male!

If I was choosing a girls name I would go for Lorelei or Lori as a spelling...

loobylu3 Sun 20-Sep-09 20:56:43

How about Laurel with Laurie for short?

gladbag Sun 20-Sep-09 21:10:07

I always think of a girl when I see Laurie - reminds me of wonderfully mad and beautiful american singer Laurie Anderson (o superman anyone? or am I showing my age....)

I say go for it, it's lovely and unusual.

nooka Sun 20-Sep-09 21:14:47

That's funny I was just going to say I'd only think of it as being a boy (I know a small Laurie), but I love Laurie Anderson (esp Strange Angels). Lori seems to be the more common female form where I live now (Canada). Lorelei is pretty I think, although I bet it gets misspelled a lot!

Plonker Sun 20-Sep-09 21:17:34

I would think it was a boy - how about Lori?

choosyfloosy Sun 20-Sep-09 21:21:26

I think it is FANTASTIC and absolutely fine for a girl with a slightly androgenous tang to it. One of my favourite actors is Laurie Metcalfe who was Roseanne's sister in the TV show and also in JFK plus many others. I loved the Antonia Fraser character as well though she was Lawrie (short for Lawrence) which I do think is more boyish.

Please choose Laurie, it's great.

choosyfloosy Sun 20-Sep-09 21:22:55

I personally dislike Lori which I associate with that drip in Fame. Lorelei is OK but amd keener on Laurie by far.

pranma Mon 21-Sep-09 18:11:18

Lawrie Marlowe was a great character I always found her more convincing than Nicola her twin.Some of the poem's she used hane become firm favourites and I have used them in lessons eg 'Eddi's service'

dizzydixies Mon 21-Sep-09 22:08:29

lovely soft sounding name which would lend itself to either girl or boy imo - perfectly acceptable

FimboFortuna Mon 21-Sep-09 23:00:51

I know a Lauretta shortened to Laurie.

MrsWuh Wed 23-Sep-09 12:50:05

Well, speaking as a Laura, I hate being called Laurie because it's just a mis-spelled truck as far as I'm concerned. A lorry is just about as unfeminine as you can get!

MrsWuh Wed 23-Sep-09 12:51:17

Well, speaking as a Laura, I hate being called Laurie because it's just a mis-spelled truck as far as I'm concerned. A lorry is just about as unfeminine as you can get!

MrsWuh Wed 23-Sep-09 12:52:01

Whoops - sorry for the repeated post! blush

I had a great uncle Laurie, but also a friend called Laurie (female). I've never really thought it was an unsual name for a girl even though my first association with it was a man's name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now