Talk

Advanced search

How would you say Eleni / Elena

(13 Posts)
pixiestix Sun 20-Sep-09 16:18:03

Trying to get through TTC tension by thinking up names for the imaginary baby!

Whats the consensus on Eleni / Elena?
And how would you pronounce them:

Eleni - ELL-en-i, E-LAYN-i or E-LEN-i
(I think I prefer the last one)

Elena - ELLEN-a, E-LAYN-a or E-LEN-a
(I'm liking the middle one)

Views and opinions welcomed!!
Feel free to tell me they are all nasty! grin

bronzebeard Sun 20-Sep-09 16:18:58

I think it depends who it was. Someone of eastern european descent would be different to someone who was welsh

GetOrfMoiLand Sun 20-Sep-09 16:20:04

They are both pronounced the middle ways, imo. I think they both sound nicer pronounced this way, too.

They are both nice names, though prefer Elena. Think is the greek and/or eastern european forms of Helen, fwiw.

SausageRocket Sun 20-Sep-09 16:20:10

Ell-en-ee

El-en-ah

florence2511 Sun 20-Sep-09 16:23:20

Elena is pronounced Elayna and I would assume that Eleni would be pronounces Ell-en-i which is very pretty.

trollbeadaddict Sun 20-Sep-09 16:25:53

Eleni is welsh for "this year" (pronounced E-LEN-i). Not sure if that makes a difference to whether you still like it, but is quite a common word here - could be a very trendy name I guess (This is SO Eleni!)!

I really like Elena (middle pronounciation too!) - its a very pretty name.

serenity Sun 20-Sep-09 16:31:35

Ell-EN-i is the Greek pronunciation (and we know many - most of whom are DH's first/second/kissing cousins), and we know two 'Elena's, one of whom is Ell-AY-na the other is Ellen-a

MrsSantosisafeminist Sun 20-Sep-09 16:54:38

Among other things, Elena is the Spanish for Helen - pronounced eh-LEH-nuh (stress on second syllable). I think it is a really pretty name. Unfortunately I have crossed paths with two Spanish Elenas both of whom were a bit psychotic so it has put me off a bit grin

Eleni is pretty too - and Eleanor btw

Good luck with your TTC

Fayrazzled Sun 20-Sep-09 17:02:26

A Greek friend has an Eleni and pronounces it "El-AY-nee".

TotallyUnheardOf Sun 20-Sep-09 17:23:39

Italian pronunciation would be

ELL-en-ah

Like it. But like Ellen even more.

pixiestix Tue 22-Sep-09 15:32:00

Thanks guys!
I actually came across Eleni as I was watching the Rome boxset the other day - one of the servants was called Eleni (pron. ELL-en-i) and I thought it was gorgeous.
Not a great story for a potential DD when she asks "How did you think of my name" though?! blush

lynniep Tue 22-Sep-09 15:34:09

Pretty. I have a friend with a baby called Elina (El -ee- na) which is quite similar!

bellissima Tue 22-Sep-09 15:57:41

Know a half-Spanish eh-LEH-nu. Not at all psychotic - very nice!

But (see various postings) - given that the name has rather different pronunciations in different languages then, eg if you lived in London, the imaginary baby would have to put up with them all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now