Talk

Advanced search

Can't agree with DH on final picks, only 3 weeks to go!

(28 Posts)
pooexplosions Sun 20-Sep-09 13:21:29

As the title says.....

We each have our own final choice for a boy or girl,but they don't match unfortunately, so I thought I'd put it to the jury.

Mine are Finn or Matilda, his are Isaac and Alice.

We don't hate each others choices, but we have a problem with each. He doesn't like that you can't shorten Finn, likes Fintan with nn Finn, but I don't like that much. He thinks Matilda is "too English" (we are not in the UK).

I like Isaac, but I don't like Zac, and I know his whole family would use Zac. I love Alice, but its very like DH's name and think she would be called Al or Alli, which is his nickname already.

So any thoughts, or suggestions for alternatives that may suit? We already have a Jacob and a Jonah, and surname starts with an O, so can't have anything like Leo that ends in a vowel.

TIA! grin

janeite Sun 20-Sep-09 13:51:00

I like your dh's choices best. I have only ever known two Isaacs but neither were shorted to Zac and I have never known an Alice shortened to Al or Ali - they just get called Alice ime.

bidibidi Sun 20-Sep-09 13:55:29

I strongly dislike Matilda (sorry; and it ends in a vowel as does Jonah, so not sure on the logic of what you wrote there). It just sounds ugly to me, and the Matilda story by Roald Dahl is horrible.
The other choices are all nice, imho.
Suggest you flip a coin if you really can't decide; the 'loser' for the first name gets to choose the middle name.

alwayslookingforanswers Sun 20-Sep-09 14:02:45

I think Isaac would go well with Jacob and Jonah, and I prefer it to Finn. Not really kean on Matilda or Alice.

Bucharest Sun 20-Sep-09 14:05:38

Finn and Mathilda don't go with Jacob and Jonah IMO. (especially not Finn, which is far too trendy to go with biblical classics)
Alice is lovely.
I'm a bit meh about the sound of Isaac but it does go beautifully with your boys...(which I like v much!)

Quattrocento Sun 20-Sep-09 14:06:20

I think you should wait to meet your baby

My DS was all set to be Marcus, until he was born and I realised that the name was impossibly patrician for the squiggly cuddly character he so obviously was.

bronzebeard Sun 20-Sep-09 14:06:50

I have an Isaac and don't like Zac (mine was compromise too) most people call him Isaac and we call him Izy (eye-zee)

easylife73 Sun 20-Sep-09 14:12:54

I agree with Quattrocento - wait until your baby arrives. Our DS1 was called James Alexander for the first week, which we had already picked. But it totally didn't suit him, and I just couldn't call him James. So we changed it to Oliver James, which we'd discounted due to Oliver being my nephew's middle name already. But Oliver suited him perfectly.

Similarly, DS2 was going to be either George or Daniel, and it took a month after he was born for us to decide on Daniel.

You just never know what they're going to look like until they're here.

Pingpong Sun 20-Sep-09 14:15:44

I think Finn on it's own is too short but like Finlay shortened to Fin. I like Alice too but not Isaac and dislike Matilda

FatFree Sun 20-Sep-09 16:22:20

I prefer Finn and Alice out of the choices

cookielove Sun 20-Sep-09 16:27:16

i like finn and matilda, esp shortened to tilly.

Although i thought finlay was the female version of finley after looking after a little girl called finlay.

Like issac and also isaiah, don't like alice just reminds me of who the f**k is alice sorry blush

GrapefruitMoon Sun 20-Sep-09 16:32:26

I think you should call him Finnbarr and you can shorten it to Finn or Barry! (Only joking - though with apologies to DDG if she's around...)

I like both the girls names but agree Isaac goes with your other dcs names better than Finn...

noddyholder Sun 20-Sep-09 16:32:59

Finn and alice

TotallyAndUtterlyPaninied Sun 20-Sep-09 16:42:54

I like Finn and Matilda.

In fact, I like Finn and Isaac, but not overly keen on Matilda (it's nice though) and really dislike Alice. That's an old lady name.

MamaG Sun 20-Sep-09 16:43:53

Alice is def the best girls name [cold look at panini] and I prefer Isaac to Finn.

Alice could be Lissy if you were determined to give her a nn?

TwoPersephone Sun 20-Sep-09 19:29:59

Matilda is French isnt it? Do you like Mathilde? Could be an alternative.

nooka Sun 20-Sep-09 20:07:23

I'm not sure why your dh thinks Matilda is too English but Alice isn't. Matilda came to England from Normandy and was originally German. Alice was also originally from a German root, and became popular in France and England in the C12th. I think with such Old Testament names for your elder two you need something fairly similar for your youngest. But I also think that it's really important that you find a name that both you and your dh really like. So I'd look around some more.

We were going to use Ezra for ds2 (turned out to be dd), and I quite like Asa too. From Behind the Name's Biblical list I also like Barnabus (Barney) Daniel, David (couldn't be bothered to go down more than one page I'm afraid). What about Isiah if you like Issac but not Zac? ds has an Isiah in his cubs group.

Romanarama Sun 20-Sep-09 20:10:26

Matilde (not'a') is very common in Italy at the mo. I don't find it particularly English at all. Where do you live?

pooexplosions Sun 20-Sep-09 21:54:26

I'm in Ireland. DH thinks my name proclivities are not just too English, but "posh" English! He would prefer if our children were Ruairi, Oisin and Setanta, whereas I would have had Jude, Elias and Noah..... we have both compromised and got very close this time around, but not quite there! Alice was my idea first, its a family name, but then I went off it.

I like Isiah, DH says no. The other 2 were not conciously chosen as biblical names, Jacob was named as a compromise for Jude which was my first choice (as in the Obscure), and Jonah is after his fave ever rugby player (Lomu), we are not religious at all. Its a challenge to find something that goes with them, but I'm wary of a full on biblical theme, iyswim?

nooka Sun 20-Sep-09 22:20:45

Jude is a great name I agree I don't think the names you are disagreeing on are that different, Alice is just as posh as Matilda and Isaac more so than Finn IMO. Are there any Irish names you like?

Clary Mon 21-Sep-09 00:25:57

Matilda is French. Henry I's wife, who was a Saxon princess called Edith, changed her name to Matilda to fit in with the new Norman court.

Matilda by Roald Dahl is a great book! Surely?? Matilda who told lies and was burned to death (nasty poem) is maybe not so great....

I like both yr girl's names, quite like Finn but Isaac goes well with Jonah and Jacob if that matters.

I know a family with Elijah and Josiah if you like those?

Rachybabes Fri 02-Oct-09 20:56:36

We have an Alice and everyone says how beautiful the name is..it isn't too 'old lady ish' and if anything it is chic. It is a lovely name and Lis is her nickname. She is never called Ali or Al as Alice is such a short name anyway.. Lis is used occasionally. And as for 'that' song...would you not call your daughter such a gorgeous name just because of a bloomin song !...that makes me a little angry as it is such a pretty name. good luck !.xxx

DrSkidaddle Fri 02-Oct-09 22:05:06

pooexplosions - that is spooky - My DH wants to call our baby (boy) Oisin, Ruairi or Cillian and I want to call him Noah! Our compromise with DS was Milo - who knows if we'll be able to compromise again...

I like Mathilda best - and as others have said I know more non-English Mathildas than English ones. Finn is a good English/Irish compromise - could call him Finlay and Finn for short?

bess23 Sat 03-Oct-09 20:19:19

I like Matilda Alice and Isaac don't like Finn. Alice and Isaac go with your other names well I think.

FimboFortunaFeet Mon 05-Oct-09 00:03:22

Alice and Isaac

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now