Talk

Advanced search

Your thoughts please ladies

(29 Posts)
perfectmummy Fri 18-Sep-09 19:07:58

hi,

Have started to short list my baby names.
Keen to know what you all think!

Boys
Levi
Lev
Leif
Spike

Girls
Eden
Neave
Piper

Tortington Fri 18-Sep-09 19:08:32

id go for spike - it's unisex i feel

MrsJamin Fri 18-Sep-09 19:09:57

Levi and Neave spelt Niamh.

Hassled Fri 18-Sep-09 19:10:58

Levi - yes, I like
Lev - sounds made-up
Leif - no, terrible
Spike - quite cool for a baby/small child but will he suit it when he's 40, though? He might well hate you for it.

Eden - pretty
Neave - should be spelt Niamh. But a nice name
Piper - an occupation, not a name. No.

Kayzr Fri 18-Sep-09 19:11:46

Levi and Eden are great. Levi is on our shortlist. Rest horrible.

Kayzr Fri 18-Sep-09 19:12:29

Actually after reading Hassled post. Niamh is nice but not spelt Neave.

choosyfloosy Fri 18-Sep-09 19:51:32

Neave sounds like baby named after Airey Neave, who is not somebody I would choose as as a namesake tbh. Can't really imagine Airey as a name either. But obviously fair enough if this is a family name. Niamh is more beautiful IMO. Eden is lovely name but I wouldn't use it myself. Do you like Siobhan at all? Much underused IMO.

I like Levi and quite like Spike.

janeite Fri 18-Sep-09 19:54:52

Niamh with this (ie the correct) spelling is lovely. The rest are not good imho.

tummytickler Fri 18-Sep-09 20:09:52

I like Lev and i like Levi when pronounded Lev-ee instead of Lee-vie, but everybody usually pronounces it wrong imo.
Spike is nice - dh says it is a dogs name.
I like Piper form the girls.

Heated Fri 18-Sep-09 20:13:03

Like Naimh, it's beautiful.

allaboutme Fri 18-Sep-09 20:14:20

Spike is fab
Eden is nicest of girls names (althouh I know a boy Eden but it does sond ok for a girl too)

crokky Fri 18-Sep-09 20:14:20

Eden is OK, I'm sorry I don't like the rest.

claraquack Fri 18-Sep-09 20:15:12

Piper was one we liked but everyone else looked very askance at us when we mentioned it. Still, there probably wouldn't be too many other Piper's in her class. I think whatsername from the X Files has a Piper.

Spike was my cat's name. Say no more!

MrsBadger Fri 18-Sep-09 20:20:30

Levi, Eden and Niamh are passable but not to my taste

rest are awful, esp Spike

can you imagine him trying to be taken seriously at a university or job interview? give the poor child a break. At least call him (eg) William and nickname him Spike.

cory Fri 18-Sep-09 21:11:00

I quite like Leif- if there is a Scandinavian connection and you actually know how to pronounce it. (Was in love with a Leif in primary. Gorgeous blue eyes and dark golden hair). Otherwise there seems little point.

MamaLazarou Fri 18-Sep-09 22:22:39

Levi - like
Lev - awful
Leif - like
Spike - don't be silly now

Eden - naff cheap perfume
Neave - you've spelt it wrong
Piper - oh, please

Fluffypoms Fri 18-Sep-09 22:29:05

Eden and Leif

GetOrfMoiLand Fri 18-Sep-09 22:31:55

Levi - nope
Lev - nope
Leif - hmm, ok suppose
Spike - a dog's name

Eden - a stripper's name
Neave - only if spelt Niamh
Piper - nah

Sorry, but you did ask!

mathanxiety Sat 19-Sep-09 04:05:39

I like Eden and Niamh (but not Neave). For the boy names, I like Levi, Leif and Lev (which is Russian/ Ukrainian). I wouldn't go with Piper or Spike. Too much like cat or dog names, imo.

skihorse Sat 19-Sep-09 09:26:29

Sadly I know someone who's spelled it "Neave" - my soul weeps for that poor little girl.

Rindercella Sat 19-Sep-09 09:32:18

Levi - love
Lev - no
Leif - no
Spike - no

Eden - like
Neave - no
Piper - no

<<nicks Levi for own shortlist>>

Comma2 Wed 23-Sep-09 14:26:48

Uh no, I like Nieve, do you really spell that Niahm? Can never make that a go here in US ;-((( And do not like incorrect spellings to make a name "unique" shiver

And Shiobad?? Looks so pretty, but how the heck do you say that (in phonetics, please)?

thedollshouse Wed 23-Sep-09 14:33:29

Levi - Don't like, I know it is a biblical name but it just makes me think of jeans.
Lev - What? Is it made up?
Leif - Is that pronounced the same as Leaf? If so no way.
Spike - No, sounds like the parents wanted him to be "hip"

Eden - No, sounds like a nightclub
Neave - yes, very pretty. Don't mind the spelling, have come across a few spelt this way.
Piper - No way, sounds like you are trying to be different. Also hasn't that silly bint in America got a daughter called Piper?

I would choose Neave for a girl and something different altogether for a boy. What do you think of Beck? Cool without being daft.

Luxmum Wed 23-Sep-09 14:52:09

Spike? You're kidding right?
I dont like any of the boys names. At all. Eden is okish, but she's going to get ALOT of stick when a teenager, along the lines of 'where's your apple'..
Niamh is the correct spelling, and nicer.
Piper is awful, sorry. In France, piper is short for a blow job.
Siobhan is pronounced Shiv-awn. If you're looking for nice Irish names which can be pronounced in the US, try Orla, Nessa, Aisling, Maeve, Roisin, etc. I'm struggling myself for an Irish girls name for liking on the Continent. I'd love Ailbhe (pronounced Alva) but the correct spelling is too bad.

Comma2 Wed 23-Sep-09 19:59:46

Oh no, why is irish spelling so utterly outlandish???
This explains why I could never decipher the credits in that series with the priest that fell in love with the girl that accidentally electrocutet herself in the end.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now