Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Taio for a boy?

(20 Posts)
bluemango Thu 17-Sep-09 19:01:02

Just wondering if it a) sounds too pretentious and b) will be difficult to pronounce...?

I like it because DH is Chinese (Taio is a variation on Tao and means peach or long life) plus I know a Taio so am used to the name, just not sure how ok/odd it is.

What do you reckon??

bluemango Thu 17-Sep-09 19:06:00

Forgot to say DD doesn't look at all Chinese - not even a hint - so if DS is the same will it add to the weirdness/pretentious factor?

CloudDragon Thu 17-Sep-09 19:09:03

I like it.

Ponders Thu 17-Sep-09 19:10:28

is it pronounced tie-oh? or tay-oh?

Either way it sounds nice but he will spend his life spelling it to people. There's a lot to be said for going through life with a boring old-fashioned English name!

SmallScrewCap Thu 17-Sep-09 19:24:48

I understand that "Tao" is pronounced "Daow" (more or less) in Chinese.

I like Taio, especially the peach reference!

SmallScrewCap Thu 17-Sep-09 19:25:55

Sorry, your DH is Chinese isn't he? You don't need phonetics from me blush

Ponders Thu 17-Sep-09 19:59:20

I always assumed Tao rhymed with pow but the added i confuses me!

wheresclaire Thu 17-Sep-09 20:02:43

Like that young new singer/R&B star? Tao Cruise?

MadameCastafiore Thu 17-Sep-09 20:04:42

Sounds wanky unless it obvious that he has chinese heritage IMO.

bluemango Thu 17-Sep-09 20:38:22

The pronunciation depends on the dialect, so it might get pronounced different ways (like Tao would definitely be different from Taio). This way, and the way my friend says it it's Tay-o.

I love the name, especially because DD had big fat cheeks like peaches, but am thinking MadameCastelfiore might be right. Also, his surname is a nightmare - short but really hard to pronounce, so together he might just have a headache....

diddl Fri 18-Sep-09 13:07:07

How about an English first name and Chinese second name?

anamaria22 Fri 18-Sep-09 13:09:52

Its lovely!

Why would a simple name like Taio would be perceived as 'pretensious'?

nappyaddict Fri 18-Sep-09 13:09:59

I like it.

SamMitchell Fri 18-Sep-09 15:59:43

Taio/Tayo is Nigerian I think. Nice name.

mumsiebumsie Fri 18-Sep-09 17:02:18

I like it.

cory Fri 18-Sep-09 21:08:42

If his father is Chinese, I see nothing wrong with a Chinese name. It's only where there is no connection that people might think it's a bit pretentious.

My ds goes through life with a un-pronouncable Swedish name, to honour my side of his heritage. Yes, he has to spell it out. No, he doesn't mind. He likes it.

Dd also has Swedish name, but looks totally un-Swedish.

ViktoriaMac Mon 21-Sep-09 22:45:37

Not at all pretentious, in the inner London schools I have taught in it is a pretty normal name.

ViktoriaMac Mon 21-Sep-09 22:46:14

By normal, I mean not at all unusual, no one would think it pretentious.

SardineJam Tue 22-Sep-09 16:19:29

RnB singer, Taio Cruz, you might be seen to have been unoriginal and just choosen a 'in' name, when a singer is 'in' sadly a lot of people use them for name inspiration

JRocks Tue 22-Sep-09 16:32:33

I thought of Taio Cruz straightaway too, but it's unlikely he'll be as popular in years to come, I don't think it will matter at, say, school age?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now