Talk

Advanced search

I was watching Ricki Lake and heard a girls name I really like...

(44 Posts)
mumsiebumsie Thu 17-Sep-09 13:49:39

... it's "Kenya", actually pronounced "Keen-ya" but I think I prefer the more obvious pronounciation.

Okay I know the inspiration is slightly trashy but putting that aside, opinions on name please! wink

ElectricElephant Thu 17-Sep-09 13:51:05

Not sure, sounds a bit odd to me. Sorry blush

LaurieFairyCake Thu 17-Sep-09 13:51:18

If in America, fine, will fit in just dandy. In Uk, not so much.

<tries to be polite, fails> grin

Have you considered Taiquasha?

KAEKAE Thu 17-Sep-09 13:51:50

Very American to me so not a name I would go for myself.

Fimbo Thu 17-Sep-09 13:53:18

I think Ikea would be better.

Hulababy Thu 17-Sep-09 13:54:23

Some people pronounce the country as K-ee-nya as well as K-e-nya.

There is a little girl, who is African, at the school Iwork at with this name. I think her promunctiation in K-e-nya though.

It is ok, although I do prefer the name India (along same lines) but I don't think I would use it personally.

mumsiebumsie Thu 17-Sep-09 14:00:18

Hulababy didn't realise that - thanks.

Okay - get impression general consensus is steer clear! I'm not really into unusual names but this one struck me as rather nice - quite girly but with a bit of weight behind it. Oh well

cyteen Thu 17-Sep-09 14:00:41

Quinoa?

Tidey Thu 17-Sep-09 14:05:46

I'm sure there are other countries or places in Africa that sound nicer as names. Erm..

Mali
Praia
Zambia
Asmara
Victoria
and er... Chad?

ElectricElephant Thu 17-Sep-09 15:02:28

rofl @ cyteen grin

MadameCastafiore Thu 17-Sep-09 15:06:02

I had to look after the title 'I was watching Ricky Lake....'

Priceless!

mumsiebumsie Thu 17-Sep-09 15:12:28

Madame embarrassing but true blush. Had come back from a midwife appointment where she spent what felt like 30 minutes taking my blood and it hurt like hell and I was on the sofa feeling sorry for myself at about 14:00 debating whether I should go back into work. Chose to watch Ricki Lake instead. I thought I made the right chose when I heard THE name but maybe not hmm.

MadameCastafiore Thu 17-Sep-09 15:13:31

You heard it on Ricky Lake!

Do you need any further explanantion?

MadameCastafiore Thu 17-Sep-09 15:13:53

Have a rest and flick through an Atlas! grin

dooneygirl Thu 17-Sep-09 17:44:29

I AM American. DH's cousin does have a DD named Kenya. She could be on a Rikki Lake show entitled "I dropped out of school to have 3 children with a man who already had 5 children by 3 different women and then went on to leave me and have more children by at least 2 different women that I know of, and now I have to have my elderly parents raise my children most of the time, because I have had to work a whole lot since I never got any support from said baby maker, and now they are teenagers, I am constantly getting calls from the school as they are totally out of control and in trouble a lot of the time." If it helps, her other DD's are named Bayleigh and Kelseigh.

brimfull Thu 17-Sep-09 17:47:45

dooneygirl-ROFL

GetOrfMoiLand Thu 17-Sep-09 17:49:54

Please don't name you're child after someone off Ricky Lake.

One of my gran's friends named their son after a character from 80s soap Falcon Crest. It really isn't cool grin

GetOrfMoiLand Thu 17-Sep-09 17:50:25

doh - your not you're, obv blush

lockets Thu 17-Sep-09 18:15:49

Message withdrawn

HigherThanAWombat Thu 17-Sep-09 18:53:43

It reminds me of this which I'll now have stuck in my head for the rest of the week.

I don't really like it as a name.

ShowOfHands Thu 17-Sep-09 19:02:11

It's just lovely. You go girl and if anybody disses yo choice then talk to the hand honey.

bellissima Fri 18-Sep-09 08:47:11

Surely it's the 1950s 'posh white settler' pronunciation of the country Kenya - as rejected by its actual people.

belgo Fri 18-Sep-09 09:44:40

What about Jordan?

mumsiebumsie Fri 18-Sep-09 14:55:20

Wow didn't realise people were still posting on this thread.

Lockets thank you for the positive feedback but am pretty sure I won't be using the name based on general consensus - I still like it though blush, but really couldn't put DD through the trauma.

Thanks.

SamMitchell Fri 18-Sep-09 15:58:46

It sounds like a Ricki Lake guest, that's the problem. She never has guests called 'Anne', does she? Always Misti, Missy, LaQueisha, LeShantay and...urm... Kenya pronounced Keeeenya.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now