Talk

Advanced search

would you use the name of an old boyfriend for your baby?

(24 Posts)
newbabyname Wed 16-Sep-09 22:54:21

OK so we tend to choose names of one type, we have 4 boys and may be having our fifth all our boys have at least 2 names and we are running out!!

I have an ex bf we have no contact only one mutual friend but it was a long relationship with a messy ending

his name is about the only suitable one left we havn't used would you use it? or would it be too weird to hear/use your ex-bf name all the time?

Girls name is sorted grin

TimothyTigerTuppennyTail Wed 16-Sep-09 22:55:14

I did.

danthe4th Wed 16-Sep-09 22:56:37

what does your partner think?

colditz Wed 16-Sep-09 22:57:43

I did.

And now it's not my ex boyf's name, it's Ds1's name. IYSWIM

BosomForAPillow Wed 16-Sep-09 22:58:24

I didn't.
(He was called Garry.)

33k Wed 16-Sep-09 23:03:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

newbabyname Wed 16-Sep-09 23:04:50

dp doesn't know this person exists

maybe that's why it feels funny/wrong using it

random Wed 16-Sep-09 23:07:32

I know what you mean I really liked an exs name but couldn't bring myself to use it for my ds

persephoneplum Thu 17-Sep-09 04:04:03

I couldn't.

risingstar Thu 17-Sep-09 04:50:04

if it is a mega unusual name then no, wouldn't use- if it is james or david then as i am sure you will know as this is dc5 it will just be baby's name within minutes/

having said that, i had a hissy fit when hubs suggested an ex girlfriends name for dd- it was his all time fave apparently hmm

pippel Thu 17-Sep-09 08:15:27

no the mutual friend will tell him and then they will both think you are carrying a torch for him!

Romanarama Thu 17-Sep-09 08:17:10

Don't. DH wanted a name that was of an ex (not-very-significant) bf. I told him about the bf and that was that one straight off the list.

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Thu 17-Sep-09 08:22:44

Good God no. The name would choke me everytime it came out of my mouth!

bellissima Thu 17-Sep-09 09:10:30

I wouldn't. But then my (not that many!) exes don't have names I would ever consider using.

No seriously, I wouldn't even if it's a nice name. particularly given the 'messy ending'.

Kingsroadie Thu 17-Sep-09 12:58:54

I definitely could not. We have discarded two names we really like for our baby as they are husband's ex girlfriends' names. I liked them before I met him and it's a bit frustrating but I just couldn't use one. He couldn't either and also wouldn't like it if we used one of my ex boyfriends' names for a boy (having said that we might use an ex boyf's name as a midle name in future but that is purely because it is my husband's father's name and traditional/not unusual). But it's a completely personal thing and it depends whether the name would have connotations every time you used it!

LouMacca Thu 17-Sep-09 13:11:51

Hmmm, I always found it a bit odd that Rachel & Ross (Friends) named their baby Emma when his ex-gf was called Emily. Sorry, thats totally of no help to you.

Can you tell us the name?

Shoshe Thu 17-Sep-09 13:32:21

My Dads Ex before he met my mum, has my name {grin]

Pingpong Thu 17-Sep-09 13:36:54

I think given your circumstances it is fine to use ex bf name for your 5th son! If you had only just got together with your partner, it was your firstborn and you wanted to call him after your ex and it was all very fresh then I would be a bit hmm but go for it.

GirlsAreLOud Thu 17-Sep-09 13:40:52

Yes, I was going to if DD was a boy.

Will use it if I have a DS but as a middle name (found a name I prefer)

nappyaddict Thu 17-Sep-09 13:43:11

I think it's fine.

Scottie22 Thu 17-Sep-09 13:55:36

I did!! dh doesn't know that though wink

Fimbo Thu 17-Sep-09 13:59:51

Nope but only because it was a very significant relationship (lived together for 5 years), dh knows about him, hates that he was a twat to me and it is also my fil's name, so would have been too weird imo.

BitOfFun Thu 17-Sep-09 14:02:52

No, seems like it could backfire...

What is the name? Maybe we could help you find one with the same vibe you might like?

Kingsroadie Thu 17-Sep-09 15:28:26

Oh and also, I think it makes a difference if they are relatively usual names. The two I was thinking of which were husband's exes are both fairly unusual and so would stand out a lot more as being the same name as the ex IYSWIM. Again, completely personal decision.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now