Talk

Advanced search

Rowan

(26 Posts)
ScarlettCrossbones Wed 16-Sep-09 11:27:09

What was the first thing you thought of when you saw the name Rowan?

Girl or boy?

Pronounced to rhyme with 'cow' or 'grow'?

Just interested! Think there might be a difference in opinion between Scotland and England, so if you don't mind putting where you're from too ... thx! (Oh, and do you like it???)

Lifeinagoldfishbowl Wed 16-Sep-09 11:29:30

I knew a boy at school called Rowan ( as in Row your boat) I think I prefer it as a girls name though

Pyrocanthus Wed 16-Sep-09 11:33:01

A tree, nice red berries.

A boy because of Atkinson, I suppose, but could be either.

I'd rhyme it with 'grow'(southern England), but in the Manchester Rambler Ewan MacColl rhymed it with 'cow' (Useful Fact # 763). I thought it sounded odd, but is it regional then? He was Mancunian but born in Scotland.

englishpatient Wed 16-Sep-09 11:50:31

Lovely name. I've known it as a girl's name but I think it's gorgeous for a boy too - have just come across it in a book.

englishpatient Wed 16-Sep-09 11:51:00

I would pronounce it to rhyme with grow, and I'm from England.

WallyDoodle Wed 16-Sep-09 12:02:48

I would pronounce it "grow" for a boy and "cow" for a girl. I'm from Scotland and I think initially of a girl, but just because I happen to have a female friend called Rowan. I wouldn't think it feminine if I met a boy of that name.

Yorky Wed 16-Sep-09 12:03:39

I think its lovely, definitely a girl's name in my head
Row-an is in row your boat

weegiemum Wed 16-Sep-09 12:05:13

I think girl, to rhyme with cow.

I think its pretty, I like it!

But if it was for a boy I would think it rhymed with "grow" - like Rowan Atkinson or Rowan Williams. Not so keen on it for a boy, but not because its too girly or anything, just a bit ... meh.

RustyBear Wed 16-Sep-09 12:07:18

We have a boy at school whose name is pronounced Row-an as in row your boat, but it's spelt Roan, so of course he gets called Roan as in colour of horse..

slug Wed 16-Sep-09 12:40:23

Both. It was on the list for DD precisely because it was a gender neutral name.

lowrib Wed 16-Sep-09 12:46:54

Boy, but probably because my friend's DS is Rowan.

I met a girl called Rowan recently and I didn't think 'boys name'.

It's a lovely name BTW.

snice Wed 16-Sep-09 12:47:41

I think a certain (famous)MNetter!

bellissima Wed 16-Sep-09 13:04:40

Girl. To rhyme with grow. Was one in my sister's class in the 70s. (north-east).

Jenbot Wed 16-Sep-09 13:05:01

I know a boy and a girl Rowan (actually, they're both in their 30s, so I should say a man and a woman), and they both pronounce it as in grow.

flowerybeanbag Wed 16-Sep-09 13:06:21

DS is Rowan, pronounced as in grow like the tree and like Rowans Atkinson and Williams. I also knew a woman called Rowan a few years ago, pronounced the same way.

ElusiveMoose Wed 16-Sep-09 13:18:29

I love the name Rowan. I think of a boy, but lovely for either. I've always pronounced it as in 'grow', but I remember in the TV adaptation of The Jewel in the Crown there was a character called Nigel Rowan and it was pronounced as in 'cow'. I remember thinking 'oh, that's funny', at the time, but I don't know if one is right or wrong.

ScarlettCrossbones Wed 16-Sep-09 13:19:01

Interesting! I would always think it was pronounced to rhyme with grow for a boy, but never for a girl – always to rhyme with cow. And I'm in Scotland. Glad you mostly all think it's nice though, it's near the top of my list! (But only for a girl, in fact!)

urbantwitcher Wed 16-Sep-09 13:41:34

I know girls called it and pronounced both ways and a boy called it pronounced Row as in boat. I love it - am intending to call son it if I ever have one.

meltedmarsbars Wed 16-Sep-09 13:44:02

Can also be spelt Rohan - I know a (male) one of those as well as female Rowans.

paisleyleaf Wed 16-Sep-09 13:44:18

Boy. Rhyming with grow.
I like it. DD would have probably been Rowan if she'd been a boy.

MrsVik Wed 16-Sep-09 13:45:17

I would pronounce it to rhyme with grow.

I love this name, I see it as equally a boys' and girls' name. I considered it as a middle name for our (not-yet-born)DD, but OH vetoed it.

I am from England, lived 5 years in Scotland, now live in Germany - if that's any help!!

ijustwant8hours Wed 16-Sep-09 13:52:34

This is dd's name! I like it (obviously). I have never thought about pronunciation, we pronounce it as 'grow'.

busterk Wed 16-Sep-09 17:53:03

I love this name. So does DH. I would use it for a boy pronounced 'cow'.
I'm in Scotland. Scottish rugby player a few years ago had this name.

Think it can be used for both genders.

dogonpoints Wed 16-Sep-09 17:55:47

I love it as A guirl's name only, pronounced to rhyme with cow. Im in Scotland.

Do not like it for a boy at all.

cremolafoam Wed 16-Sep-09 17:58:45

love it. rowan like row.
boy i think like blackadder

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now