Talk

Advanced search

Is it important not to have a popular name?

(47 Posts)
OverwhelmedandUnderpaid Wed 16-Sep-09 06:49:12

DH and I are considering the name Sophie if DC is a girl. We've since found out that it is a very popular name. I'm not keen on DD sitting with 5 Sophie's in class, but DH says that doesn't matter if we like the name.

The other name that we are considering is Felicity (Kate for a middle name for both, as is a family name). Felicity doesn't even register and so appeals to me more although DH doesn't like it as much as Sophie. My name is unusual and I quite like not being one of thousands that you meet.

Does it matter as much as I think it does?

nigglewiggle Wed 16-Sep-09 07:01:04

If it matters to you then it matters. Some people don't care. But I was very keen to choose less-popular names for our DD's because we have a very common surname and with a popular first name they would face the real possibility of meeting others with entirely the same name.

MmeLindt Wed 16-Sep-09 07:17:44

It would bother me to have a very popular name. My DS has a name that is in the top 10 in Scotland and it does annoy me a bit. Luckily we live in Switzerland so we don't come across so many boys with the name here.

I prefer Felicity Kate to Sophie Kate. It flows better. Very pretty name.

MamaLazarou Wed 16-Sep-09 07:25:48

It is very, very important to me, yes. Not so much to others (or the names wouldn't be popular!). It's a personal choice.

Personally, I think that names which are always popular (like Sophie) and never go out of fashion are far better than 'trendy' names which sound common and date quickly.

akamummy Wed 16-Sep-09 07:58:03

I disagree. I think unusual names (or at least less common names) are a lot more memorable.
I also disagree that trendy names date quickly. What rubbish! Popular names are the ones which date - think about it.... Ruby, Grace, Emily, etc... all beautiful names but they were fashionable 100 years ago and are only now back in fashion again - don't you think they won't go out of fashion again? Unusual names meanwhile, will stand the test of time because if they are unusual now, they will remain unusual in 10, 20, 30 years...... and if they don't, they will have become fashionable again so you can't lose!!

seeker Wed 16-Sep-09 08:04:37

But bear in mind that there are lots of names that are unusual without being wacky.

shootfromthehip Wed 16-Sep-09 08:07:12

It's important to be because I'm a teacher and I don't want the connotations that are associated with many names so went for names that didn't have a meaning iykwim?

My name was quite unusual when I grew up until I moved to a rural community in Scotland and there are about 5 'shoots' per square inch! It bugs me as I see myself as a memorable individual <<big head emoticon>> and hate having to explain which 'shoot' that I am.

But then if you love a name and it's positive for you, do it. Good luck with the bump.

Shells Wed 16-Sep-09 08:08:54

I had a very popular name growing up and I hated it. There were 3 of us in my class at secondary school and after a while I just stopped answering to my own name as it was usually for one of the others.

I'd avoid if you can, even if its pretty.

Mamazon Wed 16-Sep-09 08:11:26

no. It's important to have a name you and your partner love but isn't too whacky.

I had one of the most popular names of the 70/80's and so when i stand in the playground 5 of us turn round when someone calls. its like that almost everywhere i go.

BUT i certainly wouldn't want the other extreme and have been named goblet or something silly and felt embarrassed to say my name whenever anyone asked it.

IsItMeOr Wed 16-Sep-09 08:20:50

I had a popular name growing up (isn't even in the top 100 now - is apparently now a "classic eccentric" name). I was one of 6 in my year at high school, but I have to say it's never bothered me as I like my name. It may help that I was given it because it is my aunt's name and I was born on her birthday. I have always felt a bit of an affinity whenever I meet somebody else with the same name, like we're a bit of a club.

I think both are pretty names, and suspect that given that, Felicity is also likely to be making a comeback soon!

bellissima Wed 16-Sep-09 09:04:24

Surely there are 'timeless' names - the Sophies, Emilys and so forth - which become more or less popular but are always around. (Okay I accept that 'Victorian Kitchen maid and chimney sweeper' names - Alf, Fred, Ruby etc did die a death for some time and are now being revived, but they are still recongnised as traditional).

Then there are the 'Goblet' names - always unusual, (and possibly whacky). Your DC might love or hate you for them.

Then there are the 'trend' names - as mentioned on another thread - all those early noughties Mias/Mayas/Maias, the post-movie Amelies, the sudden proliferation of Keiras/Kyras etc on this site. Those I suspect often started with a desire to be 'different' and will end up dating their recipients to within a very short time frame. Because we are never as original as we think.

tummytickler Wed 16-Sep-09 09:04:39

I much prefer Felicity, Sophie has lost its sheen as i hear it all the time, i know no less than 6 and it just washes over me, i don't even notice it (although the children are lovely of course - i notice them!).
I would never choose a name in the top 10 though.

I really wanted unusual names for my dc's - they are all good solid names, and not overly used, but well known. I thought that they were lightly used in most generations, so hopefully wont date, but also dc's wont have to have others in their school (and haven't so far!). My 8 year old dd is called Iris, which seems to be becoming more popular now, but i grew up with one, and i know an older one, so i hope that because it has been lightly used through the generations it wont be the new Tracey! The others are AMos and Eli, nice and traditional, but underused, and Pearl (as Iris, never met another).
I had a popular name (still do!) and i hate having to phone people and intorduce myself 'hi, its tummy, so-and-so's mum' or 'tummy, Mr tummy's wife' or 'tummy, from the university' etc, very annoying and i didn't want that for dc's.

I am a bit overly paranoid about accidently choosing the new Esme for next dc though! Dh thinks i am really sad grin.

IsItMe = what is your name?? 'classic/eccentric' I am intrigued (and hopeful i too am a classic/eccentric grin

mumsydoodle Wed 16-Sep-09 09:51:35

My daughter had a friend called James when they were little and there were several of them. He was always called James R, by the teachers etc etc. So much so that my DD thought his name was Jamesar!

I manage a nursery school, and this year we have no Sophies, no Felicities!

Very, very popular this year : Evie, Katie, Ruby, Thomas, Charlie,Joshua!!

MollieO Wed 16-Sep-09 09:58:16

According to the Times ds's name is very popular - in the top 2. He is 5. He was the only one with his name at nursery and he is the only one with his name in his year at school, with only one boy in the year above with the same name. We also don't know anyone else with his name. Sometimes so-called popular names may not be popular where you live, which is certainly the case here in the home counties.

MitchyInge Wed 16-Sep-09 10:03:04

I don't understand why it matters if a name is 'dated' - would you otherwise try to pass yourself off as the product of another era?

loobylu3 Wed 16-Sep-09 10:13:28

It depends if it matters to you and your DP. I would agree that it is better on balance to give your child a timeless name than a trendy one as it tends to 'age better'. Both your suggestions are good choices and I would say they are timeless too.
bellissima- I agree with you about 'trend' name but just wanted to say that Maya would certainly be a timeless, classical name for an Asian person. I think this name has increased partly due to the increasing cultural diversity in the UK nowadays so I wouldn't call it trendy in the same way as some of you other examples.

lovechoc Wed 16-Sep-09 10:24:45

I personally don't like Sophie because of the main reason that it's so popular now. I know too many people of the past couple of years who have had girls and named them Sophie.

I would choose Felicity myself, but then it's up to you and your H, it's a joint decision. Difficult I know!

Roomfor2 Wed 16-Sep-09 10:27:19

I love Felicity, and love Flic as a nickname. Much more versatile, depending on the personality your DD wants to put across as she grows up, whereas Sophie is not so versatile, IMO.

I was known by First Name and Initial all through school as there were 7 of us. Can't say it bothered me that much, but when I was a little older and wanted to express a different side of me, I did feel my name was a bit boring and it can't be shortened so no alternatives for me to go with.

Stigaloid Wed 16-Sep-09 10:30:46

We are having a DD in Dec and have shortlisted both Sophie and Felicity - like them both but can't make minds up. Ah pregnancy hormones...

Hulababy Wed 16-Sep-09 10:43:27

I don,t think it matters tbh. I grew up in the 70s with one of the most opular first and middle name combinations around at the time. There was always at least one more in my classes. It never bothered me in the slightest throughout my childhood or now as an adult.

My dd's name is in too 100 and spelt differentli even higher. However we don't know of anyone else with her name but if she does meet another Mollie she is quite excited rather than it bother her.

jeee Wed 16-Sep-09 10:50:12

3 out of 4 of my DCs have 'common', as in frequent, names. When we chose their names we didn't see them as common. And yet, when you call out their name, dozens of children look up. I think that one tends to be unconsciously influenced by fashion. That said DC1's name is uncommon (although not unusual, IYSWIM), and she gets fed up with never being able to buy anything with her name on.

deepdarkwood Wed 16-Sep-09 10:51:34

I have a popular/of my age name. Doesn't bother me at all, never has.
Dh has an even more popular/classic name (of the Thomas/William type) Has always been one of x in a class/group. Didn't bother him

Of our dcs:
1. Has a very popular name (top 10 consistently) ... although he's never had one in his class
2. Has a very unusual name (never in charts)

MamaLazarou Wed 16-Sep-09 13:46:24

I think akamummy completely misread my post... hmm

Or maybe I miswrote it.

I would choose an unusual name over a common/popular one evry time. I was one of many with the same name in my school and hated it. Our baby names shortlist are all out of the ordinary.

But trendy names such as Jayden, Ellie-May and Madison are going to date very quickly, IMO. they are tomorrow's Darrens, Waynes and Julies.

KERALA1 Wed 16-Sep-09 13:51:31

Personally would not give my child a common name. My own name is of the common classic variety there was always at least one other around, in one tutorial I was in of 6 people 4 of us had my name. When I hear of a friend having yet another Jack/Grace/Amelie/Tom I do inwardly raise eyebrows (mean I know)

I think the best names are classic elegant "proper" names that for inexplicable reasons are not widely used. So everyone recognises/respects/can spell them and they have meaning but dont get lost in the crowd. They do exist...!

gladders Wed 16-Sep-09 14:22:01

we liked sophie but discounted it as there are sooo many. like others on here, i hadd a v popular name - 8 others in my year at high school - so was keen to avoid that for dd - think her name is somewhere in the top 60?

personally i agee it's nicer for a girl to have a more unusual name, but sounds like you need to convince your dh!

(felicity is growing on me....)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now