Talk

Advanced search

Short forms Marianne?

(16 Posts)
Mrsdoodle Fri 11-Sep-09 10:57:18

I love Marianne but am not keen on 'Maz'.

Does anyone know of or have a Marianne which gets shortened to anything else?

Thanks!

bellissima Fri 11-Sep-09 12:44:17

Know one, and it never seems to be shortened. DD2 is Flemish version - also never shortened.

crumpette Fri 11-Sep-09 13:30:35

I know 2 Mariannes and they aren't shortened.

My other Mari..... friends are known by their initials as in 'MC'

If you wanted to shorten it you could use anything really, Mitzy, Mia, Mari, Mimi....

marialuisa Fri 11-Sep-09 14:54:02

DD's friend is Marnie

pasturesnew Fri 11-Sep-09 17:56:09

In Dutch the diminuitive is Mariannika (sp?) which I like.

I also like the idea of nn "Emmie" but don't know if that would catch on?

chimchar Fri 11-Sep-09 18:00:34

ma, mari and my fave, annie. lovely name!

Prinpo Fri 11-Sep-09 19:20:08

We have a Marianne! She's now 4 and just gorgeous (gush gush). No obvious abbreviations but she gets called: Manny, Madge (!), Madou, Maddie, Mads... I also really like Annie - may try to push that one as she gets older.

FWIW, I still absolutely love the name and I'm so glad that we chose it. Glad others like it too.

KleineMaus Sat 12-Sep-09 06:07:19

I'm a Marianne. It's never really been shortened, except by my dad who used to call me Annie (and sometimes Fred!)

christiana Sat 12-Sep-09 08:10:58

Message withdrawn

belgo Sat 12-Sep-09 08:11:40

Mia

pinkthechaffinch Sat 12-Sep-09 08:21:49

I know a moarianne whose name is shortened to Mazzy.

ludog Sat 12-Sep-09 08:52:54

I'm a Marianne too!! It's never been shortened except when I lived in UK and everyone called me Maz. As an aside, why shorten a name if you like it as it is?

katnkittens Sat 12-Sep-09 18:59:37

I love this name especially as I am very keen on the name Anna also. I'm thinking I could use it and shorten it to 'Anna'.

I always shorten my children's names but I use their full names a lot too. I have a Jessica and she gets Jess, Jessie and Jessica. I also have a Lily (short name anyway) and can't help shortening it to Lils!

suzapolloolla Thu 17-Sep-09 22:02:04

I have an 11yo Marianne. We always thought we'd shorten it to Annie but it never stuck. Occasionally her friends shorten it to Maz which I do not like AT ALL!

When she was born her 2yo sister could only say Mavianne which became Mav so if we ever shorten it we use Mav/Mavvy. Strangely Mav's ok but Maz aint!

Most of the time tho she's Marianne.

It's a beautiful name and often commented upon. Don't know where it is (or isn't) in the hot 100.

janeite Thu 17-Sep-09 22:06:39

Dd1 was almost a Marianne or a Miranda. We thought we would shorten it to Mimi but ended up going with another name.

It is a beautiful name.

LissyGlitter Thu 17-Sep-09 22:24:26

I have a 2.5yo Marianne (who, incidentally, is also gorgeous ) and she generally gets her full name, apart from my teenage sister who calls her Mazza, mainly to annoy me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now