Advanced search

Kit?

(53 Posts)
akamummy Wed 09-Sep-09 10:22:28

For a boy...
Your thoughts please.

dizzymac Wed 09-Sep-09 10:26:11

I love it!
Trying to persuade DH if our next ( when I get pregnant!!!) is a boy that we should call it Kit. He's in favour of Dermot.

clumsymum Wed 09-Sep-09 10:26:12

I love it, but would actually register as Christopher, then use Kit within the family.

That way, he gets a choice when he's grown up, if he doesnt like it.

akamummy Wed 09-Sep-09 10:27:59

Not too keen on Christopher though.
But I definitely love Kit.
My husband needs a little convincing. He prefers Fox (which has caused a lot of interesting debate already).
I also really like Beau but hubbie says its a girls name.

Rindercella Wed 09-Sep-09 10:30:21

I like it...

...far better than Fox imo grin

manfrom Wed 09-Sep-09 10:32:50

just makes me think of David Hasselhof in a black pontiac.

Ondine Wed 09-Sep-09 10:33:16

I love it, I don't like Christopher either. I think it would be ok as a stand alone name. Or short for Christian or Krister?

Beau is definately a boys name, though imo quite naff.

Fox is too restrictive, not a name for a Doctor etc.

Tortington Wed 09-Sep-09 10:34:17

nope

Bellsa Wed 09-Sep-09 10:46:30

Love it! Like Christopher too, but prefer Kit.

Squishabelle Wed 09-Sep-09 11:08:42

Sorry but dont like Kit. Ive known lots of Christophers but none has ever shortened the name to Kit. Reminds ne of Kitty; Kit-e-Kat;Git. Do like Chris though.

pureeandpearls Wed 09-Sep-09 11:20:33

I love Kit- we were going to use it as a nn for Charles but DH hasgone off Charles.

akamummy Wed 09-Sep-09 11:32:54

Squishabelle - the fact you like Chris (one of the blandest names around) makes me happy that you dislike Kit. It also makes me like it more

clumsymum Wed 09-Sep-09 11:39:53

blimey akamummy, was your post really necessary? That was rude angry

BuckRogers Wed 09-Sep-09 11:44:55

I was about to post when I saw how bloody rude you were.
If you ask for opinions you must expect that some people will not like the name.
There was no need for that.

Thunderduck Wed 09-Sep-09 12:02:02

If you don't want people to disagree with your choice of name then don't post here.

akamummy Wed 09-Sep-09 12:05:13

Thunderduck - Not at all. I do want to hear both sides. It just pleases me when people who like boring names dislike my choices - it makes me realise Im on the right track!

Thunderduck Wed 09-Sep-09 12:08:53

You are being rude. Your comment was uncalled for.

skybright Wed 09-Sep-09 12:23:05

I think Kit sound quite feminine.

gizmo Wed 09-Sep-09 12:32:30

I have a Kit. We have followed the ‘Christopher-shortened-to-Kit’ rubric to give him other name options when he gets older. It’s a name I love and generally comments have been favourable, but there is no doubt that it is a rather feminine boys’ name – my son gets away with it by being sturdy, rumbuctious and utterly boyish, but it might feel a bit funny on a more delicate soul.

Also you cannot make a diminutive out of it without becoming utterly twee: I find myself calling DS ‘Kit-kit’ from time to time and it makes my teeth itch.

akamummy Wed 09-Sep-09 12:47:01

There is nothing rude about my comment. You are taking it in the wrong tone. I merely said that it makes me like Kit more when people who like names I dislike don't like it.

Calm down people!

akamummy Wed 09-Sep-09 12:48:23

Gizmo - I see your point, but I think Kit is short and sweet enough to not need a diminutive.

pooka Wed 09-Sep-09 12:52:15

Kit (shortened from Christopher) was one of our top two. For the first 24 hours after ds2 was born we wavered a bit, and in the end what put us off using it was the fact that I see it as a diminutive of Christopher rather than a stand alone name, and I was a bit doubtful about calling ds 2 day to day by a name that wasn't actually similar in terms of initial and spelling, to the "main" birth cert. name. Also, Christopher interspersed with Kit on a day to day basis too confusing for us, and was wondering how it would work when starting school/dealing with officialdom and so on.

Prob all really wussy concerns, but didn't use in the end despite loving Kit.

akamummy Wed 09-Sep-09 12:54:06

I'm thinking of Kit as stand alone name. I'm afraid I really don't like Christopher.

pooka Wed 09-Sep-09 13:00:16

I agree - am not massive fan of christopher. But loved KIt. Horses for courses - I do see it as a diminutive, ergo we didn't use it. But Kit is a lovely lovely name IMO.

clumsymum Wed 09-Sep-09 13:05:03

"There is nothing rude about my comment."

Actually there is, I'm sorry you don't recognise that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now