Talk

Advanced search

What do you think of Moira?

(29 Posts)
amie27 Mon 07-Sep-09 23:07:05

What do you think of Moira as a girl's name? My ds is named Finlay. Any suggestions if dc2 is a boy?

twirlymum Mon 07-Sep-09 23:11:43

Would just think of Moira Stewart.

plonker Mon 07-Sep-09 23:15:44

My first thought was Hindley. Or is that Myra? Either way, that was my first thought and it's not a great association I'm afraid.

mrswoolf Tue 08-Sep-09 00:50:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

IrishDraught Tue 08-Sep-09 02:09:48

\\lov eit

Splange Tue 08-Sep-09 08:08:25

Namechange to talk about RL family!

My Dsis is a Moira. I always thought it was a lovely name and was envy.

She was born in the sixties and our parents were as horrified as anyone else about Hindley & Brady, yet no one has ever mentioned the similarity in the name [except once! see below]. They are not that similar, they sound different and are spelled differently. (And lets not forget that a lot of little boys were still being called Ian well into the seventies.)

Something I do remember is that I used to be irritated on her behalf because a lot of my friends couldn't say her name. They'd call her Mora or Moya. I was fuming reading the text of my DBil's funeral eulogy that the preacher had called her Moria wherever she was mentioned.

[Re Moira/Myra. My DSis's MIL is called Myra and my Mum once pondered whether DBil had first noticed my sis because her name was similar to his Mum's and "of course no one would ever get called Myra now."]

hocuspontas Tue 08-Sep-09 08:10:17

I always associate it with a horrible girl from Malory Towers so definitely a name stuck in the 60s for me grin

throckenholt Tue 08-Sep-09 08:15:02

I like it. And it goes with Finlay. Do you have Scots connections ?

differentID Tue 08-Sep-09 08:18:47

Moira is a name I associate with middle aged to elderly women.
However, it is a fairly pretty name although maybe not yet due for a huge revival.

bellissima Tue 08-Sep-09 08:36:57

Prefer Maureen as a sound - although I know that will also be shot down in flames.

But I also know a great Moira. Not that different really from the late-90s/early noughties profusion of Mayas, Mias and so forth.

weegiemum Tue 08-Sep-09 08:39:29

I think Moira is lovely. An alternative might be Morna, which is my dd1's middle name. It means 'beloved'. Sometimes we still wish we'd used it as her first name.

MmeLindt Tue 08-Sep-09 08:41:53

Moira is a lovely name that is due a revival. It goes really well with Finlay.

I did not realise that it might be difficult to pronounce or spell.

Are you in Scotland, Amie?

sockmonster Tue 08-Sep-09 08:42:02

It reminds me of Myra Hindley or Moira Stewart, tbh, not yet old enough to revive and pull it off I think it jars with Finlay

geordieminx Tue 08-Sep-09 08:42:24

MIL is Moira, know 2 others and a Morna - all scottish

Splange does your DSis live in the Granite City?

pippel Tue 08-Sep-09 08:45:27

I konw a little Moira. Its very unusual for a baby but its lovely!

MmeLindt Tue 08-Sep-09 08:47:05

I would never have connected it with Myra Hindley, that is a completely different pronounciation.

Are the posters who mentioned Myra all English?

Splange Tue 08-Sep-09 09:20:59

No, geordieminx, she lives in Australia!

When we were growing up, it was always:

"What's your name?"
"Moira"
"Whaaaaaa...?"
"Moira. Like Moira Anderson. Moira Shearer."
"Errr, ok..."

As she got older it was "Like Moira Stewart."

How about Mairi?

hellokitty22 Tue 08-Sep-09 09:32:16

I like Moira - lovely, feminine name that is fairly unique. Great choice!

Pyrocanthus Tue 08-Sep-09 09:49:33

I've never given it a moment's thought, but now you mention it - it's lovely. Wouldn't connect in with Hindley at all.

Fimbo Tue 08-Sep-09 09:58:38

Not keen on Moira. Quite like Morven or Morag/Moraig.

Boys - Campbell or Struan

AitchwonderswhoFruitCrumbleis Tue 08-Sep-09 10:01:03

i think the oi noise in it is fairly ugly, so prefer Maura. or mairi. actually i really like margaret at the moment, and you can't get much more scottish than that.

zookeeper Tue 08-Sep-09 10:02:24

My God Aitch we agree on something lol.. Another vote for Maura here

MadBadandDangerousToKnow Tue 08-Sep-09 10:03:34

I think it's a good match with Finlay.

I know two Moiras who are definitely not elderly - one pronounces it Moy-ra and the Mor-ra. I think I prefer the Mor-ra pronunciation, as the oi is a bit harsh.

Pyrocanthus Tue 08-Sep-09 10:03:55

Yes, Maura's even nicer.

MadBadandDangerousToKnow Tue 08-Sep-09 10:11:39

Yes, I sometimes wonder why Mor-ra's parents didn't opt for the Maura spelling. Tis lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now