Talk

Advanced search

N London Mumsnetters - how popular is Phoebe?

(26 Posts)
MrsHappy Sun 06-Sep-09 19:11:41

My DH and I really like the name Phoebe but I seem to be constantly hearing it being yelled down the street when I go to the shops.
I am getting the impression that some parts of London are awash with Phoebes, even though it is not top 10 (or anything close) in the lists that I have seen.

How popular is it really?

Tambajam Sun 06-Sep-09 19:14:42

I don't know any in my stretch of North London.

Minicooper Sun 06-Sep-09 19:32:42

I taught in a very nice North London girls school and taught only one! And she was a sixth former - with a famous father!!!

BerylCole Sun 06-Sep-09 20:07:56

I only know one - she's about 5 yrs old I think, and her family have just moved to Herts grin. I think it's a very pretty name.

Mammina Sun 06-Sep-09 20:15:33

I know one in south london who's about 4. haven't really heard it much in north london. I think maybe most phoebes are older than the children I hang around with (so to speak), bec of friends

Umlellala Sun 06-Sep-09 20:19:18

Nope, not round here. Lovely, lovely name.

And anyway, my daughter is called Aphra (not v popular at all) but met another one same age as her yesterday in our local park grin

Umlellala Sun 06-Sep-09 20:20:36

Actually, hang on. I think someone I used to work with may have called their baby Phoebe...

but mostly Edie/Evie/Ella/Ruby here

MrsHappy Sun 06-Sep-09 20:38:13

Hm, so it sounds like it's not that common then.
Not that I particularly care if the baby has a popular name (as long as the name is nice and sounds good with our surname) but I went to a baby group a couple of months ago where literally every other little girl was called Isabel or Olivia and it just seemed a bit much.

I like Aphra, umlellala. Where does it come from?

Katz Sun 06-Sep-09 20:45:22

Our dd1 is Phoebe and we hadn't met another until she started school and there's one in her class and we know of another but thats it. Don't think its becoming a popular name, and my rather biased view is that is beautiful!

MrsHappy Sun 06-Sep-09 20:48:14

I think it's rather lovely too Katz smile

Umlellala Sun 06-Sep-09 20:49:01

Aphra Behn

If ds was a girl we were going for Ariadne or Capella (knew a girl at school called this, and loved it).

MrsHappy Sun 06-Sep-09 21:04:40

Very unusual. You learn something new every day!

Umlellala Sun 06-Sep-09 21:15:32

(well, clearly not so unusual grin)

I think Phoebe is a fantastic name <stores in head to put on shortlist for next baby> and think you are only hearing it because you are tuned to it iykwim. You could spell it FeeBee to make it stand out... wink

MrsHappy Sun 06-Sep-09 21:20:34

God, no. I come from a family of pedants and would take a lot of flack for Feebee!

Umlellala Sun 06-Sep-09 21:29:20

It made me shudder typing it out!

wobbegong Sun 06-Sep-09 22:10:23

I live in North London and haven't met any yet.

macherie Sun 06-Sep-09 22:10:44

I have a Phoebe too, it is such a pretty name smile

We have only met one other Phoebe in 5 years!

Fluffypoms Sun 06-Sep-09 22:23:56

My sil is phoebe
and have a 4yo cousin called phoebe.
we are in n/w london

mrswoolf Mon 07-Sep-09 03:23:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsHappy Mon 07-Sep-09 20:21:39

Thanks MrsW. It looks fairly popular from that, but it is still pretty (and is cool with our last name grin), so I don't think that will put me off!

CantThinkofFunnyName Mon 07-Sep-09 20:26:32

I'm N London and don't know any. Would have LOVED to use the name for my DC3 though (22 weeks) - trouble is, my DC2 is called Rhiannon and for a nickname, my DH started calling her Reeby from birth - we figured Phoebe was too close to Reeby! Bit miffed as one of my old work colleagues was called Phoebe and she was/is just beautiful, well spoken, highly educated - all the things you would love your own daughter to be LOL !

KAEKAE Wed 09-Sep-09 14:24:02

I have never known one, and I never hear the name where I am...in Ewell.

Stokey Wed 09-Sep-09 15:03:05

Think Phoebe was more popular in the 90s around "Friends" time

At the moment, as someone said before Ella, Edie, Eva and Mia, Freya, Dasiy, Lily, Amelia, Emily all seem popular

more out there am hearing little Scarlets and Isadoras

mostlymay Wed 09-Sep-09 19:30:21

I have a Phoebe who's 20 months and I've come across 2 others who are roughly the same age sad but I'm South London.

MaggieVirgo Wed 09-Sep-09 19:55:43

I love this name. LOVE it. I knew of a couple, not well, but there are a couple out there. It's a bit like Lydia. There ARE others, but I think you would be unlucky if there were two in her class.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now