Talk

Advanced search

Dorian for a boy?

(58 Posts)
telleport Sun 06-Sep-09 15:26:54

We don't know what we're having yet, this is our boys choice. Middle name will be a family name.
What do you think? I know there's the film out at the moment and that made me worried enough to check. Typical!

BalloonSlayer Sun 06-Sep-09 15:30:08

Personally I wouldn't.

People who know the book will be hmm about naming a child after someone with a depraved character. As he gets older and starts to get wrinkles he will have "Yer picture not working, then, eh? eh?"

And if people haven't read the book they will think of the slaggy one on Birds of a Feather.

Nice sounding name though smile

BalloonSlayer Sun 06-Sep-09 15:31:04

sorry not naming someone after I meant a name that is always going to be associated with a particular character.

dogofpoints Sun 06-Sep-09 15:36:08

I think it's a really drippy name for a boy

telleport Sun 06-Sep-09 15:37:47

We intend to use the nickname Dori (pronounced Dorry as in sorry) but love the whole name.
I didn't think many would have read the book, is now the film that bothers me.
I don't think I ever watched Birds of a Feather, will that be long forgotten now?

MamaLazarou Sun 06-Sep-09 15:39:09

I would associate it (negatively) with the book, I am afraid. It's a shame, as it's a lovely name.

I am afraid Dorri sounds very girly to my ears.

millenniumfalcon Sun 06-Sep-09 15:40:34

the book will be an issue, it's a classic, not something that will drop off the cultural radar any time soon.

gossamerdown Sun 06-Sep-09 15:57:49

I like it, it is a strong literary name.
Dorian comes good in the end so don't see the harm in this.

FattipuffsandThinnifers Sun 06-Sep-09 16:19:10

I think it's gorgeous, and Dorry/Dorri as a shortening is great too.

Wasn't one of the little brothers in What Katy Did called Dorry? He was a sweet, sturdy boy whose main aim at a young age was eating pies and building things iirc grin

mrswoolf Sun 06-Sep-09 16:26:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mopsyflopsy Sun 06-Sep-09 17:04:26

I love Dorian.

Great, masculine sounding name. I personally wouldn't shorten it as it rolls off the tongue easily enough imo.

Great choice and a welcome change from all the Jacks and Charlies around smile.

cece Sun 06-Sep-09 17:07:31

ONe word - NO

violethill Sun 06-Sep-09 18:12:31

I think because it's a rarely used name, it will inevitably be associated with the book, which is inevitably a negative association because it's a very unpleasant character!

The only way the association would stop, is if it becomes a sufficiently common name that people just accept it as mainstream. In which case, you probably wouldn't want to use it!

Sorry!

Scorpette Sun 06-Sep-09 18:42:22

It can't really lose its association with the book, because it didn't exist as a name until Oscar Wilde used it for said book (took name from ancient Greek tribe called The Dorians).

Plenty of other names are invented, though, of course - Wendy and Vanessa being 2 that spring to mind.

If you like it, use it.

crumpette Sun 06-Sep-09 18:54:53

My family member's name (tries to be unidentifiable! grin )

He is called 'dodo' by everyone

I secretly like the name, actually, but it did remind me of the female character in birds of a feather when I was younger....hmm blush

crumpette Sun 06-Sep-09 18:55:55

My family member's name (tries to be unidentifiable! grin )

He is called 'dodo' by everyone

I secretly like the name, actually, but it did remind me of the female character in birds of a feather when I was younger....hmm blush

slyandgobbo Sun 06-Sep-09 18:58:59

I know a boy Dorian. No one has connected him with the book or indeed now with the film. No one will remember birds of a feather by the time this child is at school.

sonniebonnie Sun 06-Sep-09 19:20:48

My nephew is Dorian - I like it.

countrybump Mon 07-Sep-09 11:54:30

I have a friend in his 30s called Dorian, he gets called Dor. Never connected it with the book, think it's a lovely name, and suit my friend.

hulabula Mon 07-Sep-09 12:25:21

I like Dorian. Have never heard of the book/movie, so I doubt many current schoolchildren will...

gladders Mon 07-Sep-09 16:17:25

hae a male cousin called Dorian.

he hated it when he was younger - but then we grew up with birds of a feather.... think he's ok with it now.

FWIW i don't think it's a very masculine name, but i am very much of the dreaded 'tom, jack, sam, matthew' type brigade....

boundarybabe Mon 07-Sep-09 16:41:09

Fatti - there was a boy called Dorry in What Katy Did - and a girl called John (which I think was short for Joanna hmm) - I remember that confusing me when I was little!

pranma Mon 07-Sep-09 18:12:12

famous General-Joseph Horace Smith Dorian
how about Horace then-Horry for short!

seeker Mon 07-Sep-09 18:20:51

It sounds a bit wet to me - sorry.
How about Damon?

LynetteScavo Mon 07-Sep-09 18:23:05

I wouldnt'.

The only Dorian we know, DH calls Doreen behind his back. (He's a little efeminate). I'm nervous he'll say it to his face one day. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now