Talk

Advanced search

So, just how popular IS Iris?

(21 Posts)
maniacbug Sun 06-Sep-09 12:10:58

My current preference for baby no. 3, due in about 6 weeks.
I know it's cropped up on here a number of times and someone always says it's over-used or becoming very popular.... but I don't know a single one amongst friends or at DC's nursery/school. So just wondered, how many real-live bearers of the name have you all come across of late in the 0-4 year age bracket?

NB Open to alternative suggestions. For what it's worth, siblings are Marlon Arthur Richard and Agatha Hope, which don't particularly 'go' together, but we would ideally like this name to have a similar feel to Agatha and to be similarly 'known' and easy to spell but relatively unusual... + preferably old-fashioned and/or Greek in origin (so Iris ticks both boxes). Others currently on shortlist = Ursula, Clover, Winifred.... My grandmothers were Edith and Olive, both of which I LOVE but there are an Edie and an Edith at nursery and as my son said when I suggested it: 'But... that's Edith's name'! And we already have a cousin Oliver and a close friend Olivia so Olive doesn't 'feel' right.

I have a feeling we will prob go with Iris anyway, but am quite keen to get a sense of its popularity in the big wide world...

lockets Sun 06-Sep-09 12:14:32

Message withdrawn

Clary Sun 06-Sep-09 12:18:33

I know one Iris. She is errrm 7 I think.

I know a lot of small children (I have 3 and do a lot of groups etc).

I like Edith and Ursula - not many of either here. I know one Edith and have heard of (ie seem her name in newspaper) another locally. Never come across an Ursula. Ditto Winifred and Clover (ooh nice What Katy Did connection).

lockets Sun 06-Sep-09 12:23:48

Message withdrawn

TheMysticMasseuse Sun 06-Sep-09 12:30:57

I know one Iris aged 3 1/2

thesecondcoming Sun 06-Sep-09 12:32:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MamaLazarou Sun 06-Sep-09 13:24:12

I LOVE Arthur and Agatha. Both are names we have considered for our new baby. Iris for me will always be the child prostitute in Taxi Driver, I am afraid. Edie and Winifred are lovely too. Clover is a cow's name, sorry.

mrswoolf Sun 06-Sep-09 18:38:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BerylCole Sun 06-Sep-09 20:09:08

I love Ursula. Much nicer than any of the others, imo.

I know two little girls called Iris personally, and two others through friends of friends.

CakeandFineWine Sun 06-Sep-09 20:10:58

My neice is Iris she's 18 months old,
I don;t know of any others though and think its beautiful grin

CakeandFineWine Mon 07-Sep-09 15:34:43

this is the 3rd thread I killed, sorry blush

jennylindinha Mon 07-Sep-09 15:41:32

I shall resurrect it! I have a beautiful Iris (11 months) and I only know of one other one whose mum is a mumsnetter, so I don't actually know her IYSWIM...

I love the name and am so glad we stuck with it. Mind you, I like your other choices too, although Clover will always remind me of one of the rabbits in Watership Down!

(am never going to watch Taxi Driver again - I had forgotten that was the name of the child pro shock)

No, it still doesn't change how I feel about Iris!

sheepgomeep Mon 07-Sep-09 18:40:10

My nan is an Iris, it's so pretty

tummytickler Tue 08-Sep-09 16:14:00

My 8 year old is Iris, and we dont know any others!

gagamama Wed 09-Sep-09 09:12:33

Iris is pretty, I know one baby and one who is about 25. It reminds me of the Goo Goo Dolls song.

Clover is really sweet, but to be avoided if you already have a Flora/Olivia/Benecol/Lurpack.

gagamama Wed 09-Sep-09 09:14:19

Iris isn't good if your surname begins with H though. Especially in the era of email addresses.

sarahken Wed 09-Sep-09 21:26:56

My 4 mth old I named Iris and I think its so pretty and every comments on it. Don't know a single one where I live and never come across one (not young anyway). Think it is more common in the south of the country, rather than up North where we live.

jeanjeannie Wed 09-Sep-09 21:59:20

I've got an Iris - she's almost 3 and there are a few about but not many and we're in the Home Counties. I thought we'd have heard it a bit more by now. DD2 is called Verity and we've not yet met another.

I adore Ursula...it's a wonderful name.

Kitsilano Wed 09-Sep-09 22:04:00

I have an Iris - she is 4.5. There is one other in her school and we have one friend with one. I think it is getting more popular but doesn't seem to be massively common.

jamandjerusalem Thu 10-Sep-09 14:34:19

I know two Irises - both under 4.

Not a good name with an 'S' surname, either, otherwise we'd consider it. I LOVE Clover! Said that on a previous thread but it got slated by all the 'it's a cows/margarine name' brigade but I think it's wonderful

AvadaKedavra Thu 10-Sep-09 14:35:21

I met my first Iris this week at toddler group, she was around 1yo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now