Talk

Advanced search

middle names

(12 Posts)
wook Sat 05-Sep-09 22:05:36

Expecting dd in November and have decided on a first name- problem is that for middle names we want to use her Grandmothers' names, which are very odd together as the grandmas are from different generations- Grandma 1 is Joyce, Grandma 2 is Lois. We are going to shorten Joyce to Joy anyway, but they still sound yuck together. Individually, both sound good with the first name. Don't think it is done to name her after one gma and not the other (even though I am no fan of my mother in law)
Do we:
- Ditch the whole idea?
- Use one and not the other?
- Use both even though they sound a bit crap together as middle names are not that important anyway???

Pyrocanthus Sat 05-Sep-09 22:13:24

Lois Joy's OK.

shonaspurtle Sat 05-Sep-09 22:16:41

Abigail Lois Joyce Bradshaw

Katie Joyce Lois McKenzie

They look/sound fine together imo smile

shonaspurtle Sat 05-Sep-09 22:17:21

Only real issue with middle names is if they spell something dodgy.

plonker Sat 05-Sep-09 22:19:29

I would definitely use them both regardless of whether they sounded ok or not.

As it happens, I think your two are fine together smile

plonker Sat 05-Sep-09 22:20:11

Sorry, that should have read "both or none"

Pyrocanthus Sat 05-Sep-09 22:28:19

Actually, shonaspurtle's right, with a beginning and an end they sound fine either way round.

I was tempted to give DD2 my mum's name (Pearl) as a middle name, but didn't want to use MIL's name so left well alone. I slightly regret it, but my mum would have thought I was mad anyway, as she doesn't like her name at all!

wheniwishuponastar Sun 06-Sep-09 02:05:08

how will you decide which order you will put them in?

MamaLazarou Sun 06-Sep-09 08:59:06

What's wrong with Lois and Joyce? I say use them both. It's a lovely tribute.

swingsofglory Sun 06-Sep-09 09:04:01

I think it's entirely up to you what you choose - one, both or neither as middle names. Your child, your choice of names - you're not obliged to use grandmothers names at all if you don't want to.

We used my mother's name for a middle name and not my MILs. The theory being we could always use MIL's name as a middle name for another child. Nobody was offended.

thumbwitch Sun 06-Sep-09 09:10:37

or you could combine them to produce a new name - Jolo for e.g. wink. Or Ceis. Which is actually much nicer.

devientenigma Sun 06-Sep-09 20:50:53

Hi, just thought i would have my say...Lois- Jo sounds nice. I wouldn't worry about older generation middle names. We have a Brooke Margaret, Erin Joanne, William Henry, Andrew James, Kelsey Barry and a Brynley Norman. What a mixture.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now