Talk

Advanced search

Any strong opinions on Laurence?

(25 Posts)
crumpette Fri 04-Sep-09 16:24:20

I quite like the name Laurence.. DP hates it but I get the final vote.. still a while to go but no name in mind really just pondering a few..

Any opinions? Like? Hate? Incredibly camp? Old man? Bad associations?

Thanks smile

bidibidi Fri 04-Sep-09 16:30:27

I think it will be very popular on MN .
Is Laurence the standard English spelling? My brother is Lawrence.

crumpette Fri 04-Sep-09 16:32:55

Hello, I'm not entirely sure on the spelling but coming from a bunch of lawyers preferred to avoid the 'w'... hmm... may not work grin hmm

traceybath Fri 04-Sep-09 16:34:52

I love it.

Niecie Fri 04-Sep-09 16:35:36

Not particularly keen on Laurence but I do quite like Laurie (or Lawrie).

Don't have any associations except that way of spelling it is French and I knew a French boy with the name. He was OK so no horror stories.

Technoprisoners Fri 04-Sep-09 16:36:01

Laurence is the European spelling. Lawrence is English/American. Great name either way - just the right hint of tradition, trendless and ageless imo.

BaronConker Fri 04-Sep-09 16:37:11

My friend has just named her baby 'Larry'. It's her FIL's name, but he is larry-short-for-laurence, so her DH wants the birth certificate to say Laurence and she's insisting on just Larry. Three weeks in and they still can't agree, but I think it's always nice to have a long version that you can use when you're feeling posh...

BaronConker Fri 04-Sep-09 16:37:23

My friend has just named her baby 'Larry'. It's her FIL's name, but he is larry-short-for-laurence, so her DH wants the birth certificate to say Laurence and she's insisting on just Larry. Three weeks in and they still can't agree, but I think it's always nice to have a long version that you can use when you're feeling posh...

diddl Fri 04-Sep-09 17:27:57

I like it.
But don´t like Larry much.

deepdarkwood Fri 04-Sep-09 17:31:39

Love it smile - dd would have been Laurence if she'd been a girl.
Laurie (or Teddy, as in Little Women) for short, imho.

BUT, personally, I probably wouldn't force through a name that your dh is dead set against (although sounds like lots of time to slowly work him round - took dh 5 years to come round to my way of thinking about Laurence grin)

katiepotatie Fri 04-Sep-09 17:38:26

I prefer Laurie to Laurence (Lewellyn Bowen) springs to mind wink

bellissima Fri 04-Sep-09 17:42:16

Dunno about 'Lawrence' being English necessarily. Okay 'of Arabia' a Lawrence, but Olivier, Laurence Harvey (50s actor) etc all Laurences. In other words whatever spelling you prefer.

However agree with Niecie. not sure on Laurence. Don't like Larry. But like Laurie.

diddl Fri 04-Sep-09 17:42:37

You have a good point, deepdarkwood, I chose both our childrens names-on the groung´d that I gave birth, but I couldn´t have given either of a name that hubby hated.

wonderingwondering Fri 04-Sep-09 17:45:41

I wanted Laurence but DH was against it, so I dropped the idea. I like it a lot. Definitely wouldn't have shortened it to Larry though!

nooki Fri 04-Sep-09 17:53:33

I know a little girl called Laurence (so for me, it sounds feminine...)

nooki Fri 04-Sep-09 17:54:45

Laurence sounds like the feminine version of Laurent.

janeite Fri 04-Sep-09 18:03:58

I absolutely love it, although judging by MN recently, it seems to be getting quite popular. DD1 is 14 and would have been Laurence/Laurie, had she been ds. It is fabbo - BUT I agree that if your dp hates it, you should compromise on something else.

bramblebooks Fri 04-Sep-09 18:37:37

My 12 yo son is Lawrence. He is a sweetheart. He gets called Lol, Laurie and Loz.

Grandhighpoohba Fri 04-Sep-09 20:05:17

prefer the german version, Lars

slowreadingprogress Fri 04-Sep-09 20:10:21

It's a really lovely name. Laurence is my preferred spelling. Laurie for short is lovely too.

One of the best names - go for it!!!

dogofpoints Fri 04-Sep-09 20:27:33

not that keen

dogofpoints Fri 04-Sep-09 20:27:55

it's practically clarence

Tillyscoutsmum Fri 04-Sep-09 20:30:34

I really like it and love the nn Lawrie/Laurie. Unfortunately, the only one I know has the nn Lozza and that might put me off using it a bit.

Scottie22 Fri 04-Sep-09 20:44:58

My ds is Laurie - he is a 'Laurence' officially but doesn't ever get called his full name!!

hormonalmum Fri 04-Sep-09 22:26:33

Love Lawrence!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now