Talk

Advanced search

Thoughts on Ivy Elizabeth?

(20 Posts)
LucaBella1 Thu 03-Sep-09 08:43:34

Ivy Elizabeth/Elisabeth?

Any thoughts on the name? I'm slightly scared that it's TOO old fashioned (it was my great grandma's name)...

(I also have a Luca and an Isabella)

x

BonsoirAnna Thu 03-Sep-09 08:45:45

Ivy is not a nice name at all. And if you already have a girl with an I-initial, it might be better to choose another initial to avoid confusion.

Elizabeth and Isabelle are the same name, btw!

MrsVik Thu 03-Sep-09 09:04:12

I like Ivy. I think I prefer it with Elisabeth or even Elspeth.

thesecondcoming Thu 03-Sep-09 09:04:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tambajam Thu 03-Sep-09 09:07:30

I really like it. I don't think it's that old fashioned. There's a new vogue for grandmother era names.

marialuisa Thu 03-Sep-09 09:14:59

Lovely (prefer Elisabeth to Elizabeth), it makes me think of the little girl in Rumer Godden's book "The story of Holly and Ivy" which is a family favourite.

Kayzr Thu 03-Sep-09 09:15:49

I love Ivy but not keen on Elizabeth or Elisabeth.

CheerfulYank Thu 03-Sep-09 09:25:20

I'm not a huge fan of Ivy as the only Ivy I ever knew was a horrible nasty child. But YOUR Ivy would be lovely I'm sure!

slowreadingprogress Thu 03-Sep-09 10:15:15

I think Ivy is really lovely. I'd go for the Elizabeth spelling - prettier I think.

Great name and a good 'match' for your others imo.

KAEKAE Thu 03-Sep-09 13:07:13

I quite like it and know two toddlers called Ivy. I like Elisabeth as opposed to Elizabeth and have Elisabeth shortlisted as a middle name to go along with first name Poppy.

I also don't understand why it would be confusing to have two children with the same initial? I have the same intitials as my mother and it never ever caused problems?!?!?? If it's to do with mail, then I always used to put my middle name on paperwrk so my mail would always contain my middle name on the envelope.

NadiaWadia Thu 03-Sep-09 13:19:32

Don't like the sound of Ivy - sorry. Have you heard the song 'Poison Ivy' think its about a girl with an STD?

There are lots of nice names starting with 'I' though - Imogen, Iona, Isolde, etc.
And lots of nice plant/flower names, Daisy, Lily etc.

Elizabeth is nice - classy and very versatile (you could make lots of different short names out of it).

Jojay Thu 03-Sep-09 13:29:55

I love the name Ivy- it would have been a serious contender for us if we hadn't had 2 ds's!

Elizabeth is pretty too, and the two work together well.

Go for it smile

mathanxiety Thu 03-Sep-09 15:15:19

Lovely names (all three). I don't think having two with the same initial would matter.

Alishanty Thu 03-Sep-09 21:56:15

I really like Ivy. I suggested it for dd but dp vetoed it. The other night I dreamt I had another dd and called her Ivy June. Really like this but doubt I will ever get to use it.

LucaBella1 Sat 05-Sep-09 17:30:13

Sorry for the lack of reply, mad week.

Luckily the consensus is good... and personally I'm alright with the first initial being the same as Isabella's...

Though my Nan suggested Ida today and I'm fighting between the two.

x

kittywise Sat 05-Sep-09 17:36:14

I really don't like it sorry, reminds me of 'poison ivy' in corrie of years ago

BerylCole Sat 05-Sep-09 19:13:01

Nice name. Prefer Elizabeth to Ivy, though.

TattyCatty Sat 05-Sep-09 19:16:28

Love it. The fact that it is a combination of DD's and my middle names is a complete coincidence.....

mrswoolf Sun 06-Sep-09 01:11:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheYearOfTheCat Sun 06-Sep-09 01:26:48

Gorgeous name.

My Great Grandmother was Ivy Elizabeth. Being a mother through the 2nd world war, she was a woman who (I am led to believe) was a wonderful combination of strength, feminism and love.

Qualities I would hope for in my own daughter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now