Talk

Advanced search

Help! Considering employing a nanny for the first time.

(3 Posts)
purplecurlywurly Wed 02-Sep-09 13:19:50

I'm after a bit of advice as considering employing a nanny for the first time. I have three children, 7, 4 and 6 months. The oldest is at school full time and the middle one will go full time form November. I would like to return to work at the end of the year, probably 2-3 days/ week. With the older two it was more cost effective to use nurseries, and when they were older, I had an au pair to help after school/ preschool. I seem to be struggling to find a good child care solution for all three. The local (v good) nurseries have experienced a huge surge in demand and can only offer one day a week from the new year, good childminders are like gold dust and an au pair is obviously unsuitable for a baby and they are also v difficult to recruit as we live in a rural area.
I am therefore considering employing a part time nanny. As a novice, I would really appreciate any good advice on approximate gross pay, usual duties, contracts, registering as an employer, paying nanny tax. It all seems like a minefield! I am also a bit concerned that it is going to cost a large proportion of my salary. Does anyone know how childcare vouchers work and if these can be used for nannies as well as nurseries?
Thank you in advance

purplecurlywurly Wed 02-Sep-09 13:20:45

Sorry!! Please ignored- submitted in the wrong forum!

FourArms Wed 02-Sep-09 13:21:54

I think you might have posted this in the wrong area. Try here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now