Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone had NO positive reactions to DC's name in real life?

(34 Posts)
Fanfare Wed 02-Sep-09 12:41:58

I'm too scared to post in the Am I Being Unreasonable section, but I suppose my question would be AIBU to expect at least ONE positive reaction when people ask DS2's name? His name is Edward, so not exactly an out-there name. It was a bit of a compromise name and I'm still trying to get used to it myself, so to not have one single person (family, friends, or people in the street) say "oh isn't that nice?" in 6 weeks is becoming really quite disheartening. Especially as I always thought that was the polite automatic response, regardless of real opinion! I'm not sure if we've picked a name that's just generally disliked (to the point that people can't even fib and pretend they like it!!), or whether this happens to everyone and I'm expecting too much?

traceybath Wed 02-Sep-09 12:43:08

Its a lovely name.

TheCrackFox Wed 02-Sep-09 12:44:10

It is a lovely name and will never date. very classy.

pooter Wed 02-Sep-09 12:46:34

Its also my nephew's name and its great! Edward for his career, but Ed to his mates and Eddy for his family. Lovely name - and it was my grandads too. smile

preggersplayspop Wed 02-Sep-09 12:50:25

Its a lovely name, don't worry! I don't think you need other people to validate whether you chose a 'good' name or not, I am sure they are too busy cooing over your little boy to comment on your name choice.

MrsBarbaraKingstanding Wed 02-Sep-09 12:53:44

I have an Edward. I lOVE the name, and have had very positive reactions to it.

We call him Eddie, or EddieBear, or Teddlington, but Edward is a name with gravitas and class for when he's older, and Ed great for a teendager with mates, in my very biased opiniongrin.

shakirashakira Wed 02-Sep-09 12:54:47

It's a lovely name. You can call him Teddy too, which is a great name imo.

PlumpRumpSoggyBaps Wed 02-Sep-09 12:55:19

I think it's lovely too. I like Teddy as a nickname as well.

As TheCrackFox said- very classy.

PlumpRumpSoggyBaps Wed 02-Sep-09 12:55:43

Oh and YANBU, btw.

belgo Wed 02-Sep-09 12:57:32

Edward is a very good name.

ZacharyQuack Wed 02-Sep-09 12:57:45

Edward is a great name. Lots of acceptable nicknames and lovely "in the full". Sorry none of your RL friends and family haven't been more effusive.

MrsVik Wed 02-Sep-09 12:58:17

It's a nice name! Nothing wrong with it

wheniwishuponastar Wed 02-Sep-09 13:06:15

maybe its because it isn't unusual - do a test and see if you get any reaction when you say his name is Teddy/Ted or Eddie/Ed?
But the most important thing (i think) is that he grows up as a lovely person, not whether people think he has a lovely name!
do people make other nice comments, on his hair or clothes?
if people ask what his name is, what do they say when you reply, 'edward' - just with a blank face?

FaintlyMacabre Wed 02-Sep-09 13:17:43

It's my son's name so obviously I love it. We shortened it to Ted very quickly (not our pre-birth intention, just seemed to suit him) and that gets a lot of positive comments.

Edward is at about number 40 in the popularity lists so someone else must like it!

jellybeans Wed 02-Sep-09 13:20:37

Noone has really said it to me either and DS is nearly 10 months (quite popular name in top 100) but we like it alot so thats all that matters!

GooseyLoosey Wed 02-Sep-09 13:23:53

My son's name is not an uncommon name and I don't think I had one comment one way or the other about his name. My daughter's name is slightly more unusual and have had comments about it.

I think when it is regarded as a "safe/normal" name, people do not think that they need to comment so I would not worry.

I know a few little Edwards so it clearly has a reasonable amount of parental favour and I cerainly like it.

blowninonabreeze Wed 02-Sep-09 13:26:57

Edward is my number 1 for any future DS I may have (although not DH's Grr!)

I love it and want a Ned.

Fanfare Wed 02-Sep-09 13:30:26

Thanks for all the comments everyone, you've helped me feel a bit happier about it. I think it's easier if you've chosen a name you love because you don't care what others think, it's just when you're not convinced yourself that you end up seeking validation elsewhere. Maybe that's why I've been a little sensitive to the lack of positive comments! I should say, I've had no negative comments per se, just been met with "oh, Edward?" or change of subject! Anyway, it's been lovely to hear your positive takes on the name and really interesting to see how other people perceive it, thank you so much.

Pollyanna Wed 02-Sep-09 13:33:30

It's my son's name too and I love it. Haven't had any negative reactions apart from one to Ned (which we call him) - and that person wasn't Scottish btw.

Otherwise we have only had positive reactions to Edward and Ned. He is also called Ed (by dd1) and Edward Bear/Bear by us all. I love it!

(and it was a compromise name for me too!).

I also met a little Teddy recently - I love that shortening too.

Feierabend Wed 02-Sep-09 13:37:07

It's happened to me with DD2's name, which I also wasn't 100% sure about. Nobody seems to like it. But I try not to care grin

Don't worry, Edward is a great name.

diddl Wed 02-Sep-09 13:50:32

I should imagine it´s because it´s not unusual enough to invoke a comment.

CyradisTheSeer Wed 02-Sep-09 14:02:44

Message withdrawn

mopsyflopsy Wed 02-Sep-09 15:20:12

Most important thing is that YOU love it.

Edward is a safe, normal name. I personally wouldn't chose it nor would I lie and say that I loved it, but there is nothing wrong with it at all.

We should all try to be less needy of others' acceptance of our (name, hairstyle, whatever) choices! Life would be very boring indeed if we all liked (and had) the same names, clothes etc!

GrendelsMum Wed 02-Sep-09 15:44:34

I think it's very nice indeed - and I agree that people probably don't comment because they think 'ah, a nice real but not usual name'. People only tend to be negative, I find grin

Nancy66 Wed 02-Sep-09 15:54:03

Fantastic name - your friends have no taste.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now