Talk

Advanced search

Do people purposefully set out to have childrens names all starting with the same letter?

(33 Posts)
Dogshitsonthedailymail Tue 01-Sep-09 12:58:28

Message withdrawn

shubiedoo Tue 01-Sep-09 13:03:20

I know of two families who did this, and they changed the usual spelling to accommodate; Ceon instead of Sean, and Jorja rather than Georgia. Not sure if they planned to from the start, but it sounds like they did. I suppose it makes name tapes on clothes easier, all same initials!

lucykate Tue 01-Sep-09 13:10:25

dd & ds both have names beginning with the same letter. i chose dd's name, but with ds, we had 3 names we liked, so we let dd chose between the 3, and she picked the one that began with the same letter as hers.

Dogshitsonthedailymail Tue 01-Sep-09 13:13:27

Message withdrawn

MrsVik Tue 01-Sep-09 16:52:35

I have purposefully avoided doing this! I don't think it's a bad thing, and sometimes it just happens accidentally but I always imagine the confusion when you get a letter addressed to 'M. Smith' and there are 3 of you it could refer to. Not a problem when they are little, but when they start their teenage years it could be a problem.

A bit of a silly reason to actively avoid doing this, I know, but it's just one of those things that gets into your head!

Countingthegreyhairs Tue 01-Sep-09 16:55:19

A friend of mine really DID do this to avoid having to order two different sets of name tapes grin

WorzselMummage Tue 01-Sep-09 16:59:03

My 2 have the same initial just because we liked likes the names.. If we had another i would defintly not have the same initial again. I knew someone with 6 children with K names.

brimfull Tue 01-Sep-09 17:03:21

I know tow families where the parents AND children all start with same letter
Naffola imo

pranma Tue 01-Sep-09 20:44:01

My dd gave ds2 a middle name with a J because she,dh and ds1 all had a J name and they didnt want him to feel different!!

Dogshitsonthedailymail Tue 01-Sep-09 21:29:24

Message withdrawn

sausagesupper Tue 01-Sep-09 21:31:28

My 2 have both got same initial, unintentionally. Never thought about it till started discussing names for number 3!
What about those people on Discovery channel the Duggars ( I think) 17 kids all starting with J...crazy

lucykate Tue 01-Sep-09 22:12:47

dogs - i don't know if we would, we're not planning any more so hopefully it won't ever be an issue. i'd feel really cheesy having 3 all with the same initial, but on the other hand, it may look odd with an odd one out. and to make matters worse, our dc's even have the same 2 first letters of their names blush both are Lu.....

diddl Wed 02-Sep-09 07:15:57

It´s something I would purposely avoid.
I think it´s really naff, especially when you´re so desperate to do it that you change a name spelling!

DontCallMeBaby Wed 02-Sep-09 07:32:58

Friend did it by 'accident', gave eldest two A names cos they liked them, then had unexpected #3 and felt he had to be an A too.

FiL intentionally gave DH and BiL same initials, but he is a strange man.

purepurple Wed 02-Sep-09 07:37:48

My sis has an 'A' and a 'B'.
I think she is working her way through the alphabet grin

LaDiDaDi Wed 02-Sep-09 07:44:56

I would have considered it for dc2 if it had been a girl as I liked a few girls names starting with the same letter as dd1. As it it I'm expecting a boy and neither of us likes a name starting with the same letter so there is no issue.

shoshe Wed 02-Sep-09 07:45:19

Myself and my elder brother have the same initials, it wasnt deliberate tho, and Mom didnt even realise till the passport office man pointed it out when I was 5 weeks old (we moved abroad at 6 weeks)

Twin younger brothers dont have the same initials tho.

Eldest brother who died at 9 months, before the rest of us were born, had my intials the other way round,(or rather I had his) again not intentional.

Dogshitsonthedailymail Wed 02-Sep-09 08:10:31

Message withdrawn

Dogshitsonthedailymail Wed 02-Sep-09 08:12:35

Message withdrawn

BikeRunSki Wed 02-Sep-09 22:41:39

I know A,B, C, D and E brothers.

DH and I have the same first and middle initials. Couldn't decide if it would be sweet or naff for children to have them aswell. If DS had been a girl, then only name we could agree on would have been he same initials too. A whole household of XY Surname would have been a bit much.

Jacksmama Wed 02-Sep-09 22:44:51

Message withdrawn

DMonabonfireinadeepdarkwood Wed 02-Sep-09 22:49:36

dd & ds have the same first letter (although sounded quite differently) - wasn't really a consideration. WOn't be having a third, but would probably avoid another of the same letter if we did.
Know a family of 5 children with the same first letter.... (some of the later names are ,ahem, unusual)

jenwyn Wed 02-Sep-09 22:49:46

I once knew a man called Stuart H* who named all his children - I think it was 4 -with an 'S' name . This was just so he could send christmas cards with the message ....SSSSSh -you know who.

MrsDmamee Thu 03-Sep-09 09:17:10

DH and I have same first intials...A&A. we are ttc for our 3rd dc and the only girls name i really want begins with A and i seem to be drawn to boys names beginning with R. DS 2 intial is R but if i went with R again for a boy my poor DS 1 will feel all left out with A&A and R&R/ or another A

Kayzr Thu 03-Sep-09 09:20:30

My friend's intials are AA so are his Mums, Dads and his brother and sister. I do wonder what happens with the mail.

I wouldn't do it on purpose and I have a F and a D but if I loved the name I wouldn't hesitate to have another F or D name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now