Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Do people purposefully set out to have childrens names all starting with the same letter?

(33 Posts)
Dogshitsonthedailymail Tue 01-Sep-09 12:58:28

Message withdrawn

shubiedoo Tue 01-Sep-09 13:03:20

I know of two families who did this, and they changed the usual spelling to accommodate; Ceon instead of Sean, and Jorja rather than Georgia. Not sure if they planned to from the start, but it sounds like they did. I suppose it makes name tapes on clothes easier, all same initials!

lucykate Tue 01-Sep-09 13:10:25

dd & ds both have names beginning with the same letter. i chose dd's name, but with ds, we had 3 names we liked, so we let dd chose between the 3, and she picked the one that began with the same letter as hers.

Dogshitsonthedailymail Tue 01-Sep-09 13:13:27

Message withdrawn

MrsVik Tue 01-Sep-09 16:52:35

I have purposefully avoided doing this! I don't think it's a bad thing, and sometimes it just happens accidentally but I always imagine the confusion when you get a letter addressed to 'M. Smith' and there are 3 of you it could refer to. Not a problem when they are little, but when they start their teenage years it could be a problem.

A bit of a silly reason to actively avoid doing this, I know, but it's just one of those things that gets into your head!

Countingthegreyhairs Tue 01-Sep-09 16:55:19

A friend of mine really DID do this to avoid having to order two different sets of name tapes grin

WorzselMummage Tue 01-Sep-09 16:59:03

My 2 have the same initial just because we liked likes the names.. If we had another i would defintly not have the same initial again. I knew someone with 6 children with K names.

brimfull Tue 01-Sep-09 17:03:21

I know tow families where the parents AND children all start with same letter
Naffola imo

pranma Tue 01-Sep-09 20:44:01

My dd gave ds2 a middle name with a J because she,dh and ds1 all had a J name and they didnt want him to feel different!!

Dogshitsonthedailymail Tue 01-Sep-09 21:29:24

Message withdrawn

sausagesupper Tue 01-Sep-09 21:31:28

My 2 have both got same initial, unintentionally. Never thought about it till started discussing names for number 3!
What about those people on Discovery channel the Duggars ( I think) 17 kids all starting with J...crazy

lucykate Tue 01-Sep-09 22:12:47

dogs - i don't know if we would, we're not planning any more so hopefully it won't ever be an issue. i'd feel really cheesy having 3 all with the same initial, but on the other hand, it may look odd with an odd one out. and to make matters worse, our dc's even have the same 2 first letters of their names blush both are Lu.....

diddl Wed 02-Sep-09 07:15:57

It´s something I would purposely avoid.
I think it´s really naff, especially when you´re so desperate to do it that you change a name spelling!

DontCallMeBaby Wed 02-Sep-09 07:32:58

Friend did it by 'accident', gave eldest two A names cos they liked them, then had unexpected #3 and felt he had to be an A too.

FiL intentionally gave DH and BiL same initials, but he is a strange man.

purepurple Wed 02-Sep-09 07:37:48

My sis has an 'A' and a 'B'.
I think she is working her way through the alphabet grin

LaDiDaDi Wed 02-Sep-09 07:44:56

I would have considered it for dc2 if it had been a girl as I liked a few girls names starting with the same letter as dd1. As it it I'm expecting a boy and neither of us likes a name starting with the same letter so there is no issue.

shoshe Wed 02-Sep-09 07:45:19

Myself and my elder brother have the same initials, it wasnt deliberate tho, and Mom didnt even realise till the passport office man pointed it out when I was 5 weeks old (we moved abroad at 6 weeks)

Twin younger brothers dont have the same initials tho.

Eldest brother who died at 9 months, before the rest of us were born, had my intials the other way round,(or rather I had his) again not intentional.

Dogshitsonthedailymail Wed 02-Sep-09 08:10:31

Message withdrawn

Dogshitsonthedailymail Wed 02-Sep-09 08:12:35

Message withdrawn

BikeRunSki Wed 02-Sep-09 22:41:39

I know A,B, C, D and E brothers.

DH and I have the same first and middle initials. Couldn't decide if it would be sweet or naff for children to have them aswell. If DS had been a girl, then only name we could agree on would have been he same initials too. A whole household of XY Surname would have been a bit much.

Jacksmama Wed 02-Sep-09 22:44:51

Message withdrawn

DMonabonfireinadeepdarkwood Wed 02-Sep-09 22:49:36

dd & ds have the same first letter (although sounded quite differently) - wasn't really a consideration. WOn't be having a third, but would probably avoid another of the same letter if we did.
Know a family of 5 children with the same first letter.... (some of the later names are ,ahem, unusual)

jenwyn Wed 02-Sep-09 22:49:46

I once knew a man called Stuart H* who named all his children - I think it was 4 -with an 'S' name . This was just so he could send christmas cards with the message ....SSSSSh -you know who.

MrsDmamee Thu 03-Sep-09 09:17:10

DH and I have same first intials...A&A. we are ttc for our 3rd dc and the only girls name i really want begins with A and i seem to be drawn to boys names beginning with R. DS 2 intial is R but if i went with R again for a boy my poor DS 1 will feel all left out with A&A and R&R/ or another A

Kayzr Thu 03-Sep-09 09:20:30

My friend's intials are AA so are his Mums, Dads and his brother and sister. I do wonder what happens with the mail.

I wouldn't do it on purpose and I have a F and a D but if I loved the name I wouldn't hesitate to have another F or D name.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: