Talk

Advanced search

trysty's baby name shortlist - GIRLS

(17 Posts)
trysty Mon 31-Aug-09 11:02:53

Here's the shortlist of baby names I'm considering that I generated with Mumsnet's Baby Name Finder. Let me know what you think.

Girls
Doris
Edwina
Eileen
Ida
Ivy

rubyslippers Mon 31-Aug-09 11:06:50

I don't like any of them

if you are going for the old lady vibe, then names (IMHO) like Esme, Edie, Florence, Pearl etc are all much nicer

xxxxBAMBOOxxxx Mon 31-Aug-09 11:10:12

I agree with ruby, sorry. The only one I do kinda like is Ivy but the 'poison Ivy' thing would put me off

Tidey Mon 31-Aug-09 11:12:53

Agree with rubyslippers. Those are, IMVHO, the very worst of all the old lady names that people are bringing back.

Nicer old lady names:
Beatrice
Grace
Harriet
Elsie
Clara
Eleanor
Kitty
Edith
Florence

trysty Mon 31-Aug-09 11:18:28

Those names aren't really my taste, though they are nice in their own way. They are very on trend too. I'm not really looking for old lady names, thought it may seem otherwise.

I scratched Ethel from my list. I thought Doris would be the only risky one left on our list.

MrsVik Mon 31-Aug-09 11:28:33

I quite like Doris. I know a young Doris and I think the name is quite pretty, really.

Not keen on Edwina or Eileen - but I think Ida and Ivy are fine.

None of the names are exactly to my personal taste, but there is nothing wrong with them (imo).

bellissima Mon 31-Aug-09 12:50:14

I think Eileen and Elaine are just as nice as all the Ayleen, Aisling, Eliane, etc etc 'anything but' names that are put forward. The same snobbery rules out Maureen whilst proposing numerous M-names that don't sound half as pretty.

But Edwina ruled out by "oh John - Norma must never know" connotations.

southernbelle77 Mon 31-Aug-09 14:08:09

Doris - not keen
Edwina - don't mind
Eileen - don't mind
Ida - had a lovely friend called this (she was Norweigan)
Ivy - quite like

belgo Mon 31-Aug-09 14:16:15

I don't like any of the names apart from Ivy.

belgo Mon 31-Aug-09 14:16:48

and Eileen and Aileen are quite nice.

cyteen Mon 31-Aug-09 14:21:06

I love Ivy, don't like any of the others at all.

crokky Mon 31-Aug-09 14:23:43

I don't like any of them, sorry!

What about Isla instead?

edam Mon 31-Aug-09 14:43:49

Ivy's the only one I like.

jkklpu Mon 31-Aug-09 20:25:15

Ida best of those for me - fab character in later Little house in the big woods stories - a really lovely friend of Laura Ingalls

gloomysue Mon 31-Aug-09 21:35:12

I like Doris.

TwoPersephone Tue 01-Sep-09 09:01:56

Beatrice
Henriette
Harriet
and Adah sound lovely!

Feierabend Tue 01-Sep-09 09:15:22

I like Doris, Ida and Ivy. But then one of them is my mum's name and the other my dd's middle name so I am biased!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now