Talk

Advanced search

Having Trouble... Only Like Common Girl Names!

(29 Posts)
LSRW Sun 30-Aug-09 19:11:47

Hi all, Newbie here

As the title suggests we are having trouble with naming our soon to arrive, (October) daughter.

I know it shouldn't really matter if a name is popular or not but all I can think about is playgroups, nursery and schools where there are several little ___'s running around.

Silly I know! Maybe its just because our little boy, (13months) has a less popular first name- Lennon James. We like Ava and Amelia as first names and May and Rose for middle names. I also like Edie as a first but OH insists this is "too granny"

Trying to think of other names that would be nice with Lennon... but the amount of times I have had the suggestions McCartney, Dylan and Hendrix is just silly!

Also avoiding L's as we are both L's!

Why is this so hard!!!!?????
Thanks people x

Servalan Sun 30-Aug-09 19:17:28

Personally I think you should just go with the names that you love All the names you've listed are beautiful. I only know 1 Ava, 1 Amelia and 1 Rose and I don't know any Mays (other than the hyphenated Elsie-May type names)

nobodysfool Sun 30-Aug-09 19:19:37

Hello and welcome.
How about
Evie
Mattie
Elise
Iris
Maisie
Rosaline
Florence

LSRW Sun 30-Aug-09 19:35:16

Thanks guys
I think I am just worrying what other people think all the time, as you do! Also when you live in the baby-naming land for those pregnancy months thats all you think about sometimes dont you? When I mention those names to friends and family they say they have never heard of any babies called that so stop worrying girl!
Thanks for the name suggestions nobodysfool. Evie was mentioned by a friend too and Elise by my Mum I also like Edie but he thinks its too granny!

ilovesprouts Sun 30-Aug-09 19:41:34

go whith the names you have picked as they are nice !! good luck

Horton Sun 30-Aug-09 19:44:21

Ava and Amelia are both absolutely lovely. Okay, they're popular but I honestly don't think either are in the 'there were five in my class' camp. And being called something that lots of other people are called is not necessarily a curse. I am, and I like my name.

Horton Sun 30-Aug-09 19:44:54

And there actually were five (well, four, I think) in my first primary school class.

MrsVik Sun 30-Aug-09 19:50:22

Those names are popular for a reason! They are really pretty. I don't think a little girl would be horrified to find that someone in her class has the same name as her - I think she'd be tickled by it

totalmisfit Sun 30-Aug-09 19:55:29

i have the same problem but with boys names.

just go with a name you love - but maybe check out a few local toddler groups/ baby cafes first and listen out for the names you hear over and over (see if they get on your nerves in other words!) if you're really concerned.

LSRW Sun 30-Aug-09 19:58:00

Thanks,

I'm a Leigh which I hated but mainly because I always had to spell it nad then because it was always followed by "isn't that a boys name?!" Its a lot more common now and I haven't had any funny looks since I was at school I think

Now people are just surprised as its my partners name too!!!!!!

angrypixie Sun 30-Aug-09 20:10:57

Hands up for Edie here. Love it, love it love it and less popular than Amelia or ava. Please God not Evie though there are gazillions of them

mathanxiety Sun 30-Aug-09 21:33:21

I know an Emilia, shortened to Emmy. I like Amelia too, and love Ava. Would Edie be short for Edith? Old fashioned names like that are really popular just now.

TiggyR Sun 30-Aug-09 21:41:49

There will definitely be 5 Amelias in the class............

bargainhuntingbetty Sun 30-Aug-09 21:43:54

How about Delaney?? It goes lovely with Lennon and is original. I liked this when I was pg.

jellybeans Sun 30-Aug-09 21:45:21

I don't like Edie, too old granny. I like Eva/Evie and Ava but they are very popular and will probably be at least one in each class. Not keen on Amelia and Millie is surely going to be the top girls name very soon, all baby girls seem to have this name lately.

jellybeans Sun 30-Aug-09 21:47:39

I forgot to add suggestions, how about

Evangeline
Gabrielle
Hope
Kyla
Nicole
Annalise
Joelle
Georgina
Hayley
Tabitha
Amy
Phoebe
Rhian

bargainhuntingbetty Sun 30-Aug-09 21:52:44

Skyla?

dogofpoints Sun 30-Aug-09 21:59:44

Choose from

Ava
Amelia
Rose
May

All nice names, all go with Lennon

hester Sun 30-Aug-09 22:03:08

I love Edie; it's not grannyish, think Edie Sedgwick!

How about Thalia, Lydia or Thea? Less popular but really pretty, I think.

mathanxiety Mon 31-Aug-09 02:40:20

I know a Delaney, shortened to Laney.

mathanxiety Mon 31-Aug-09 02:41:31

Sorry, posted too soon. Also know a Devlin (girl).

Mammina Mon 31-Aug-09 05:22:04

nice names but they are the Claire of the noughties - not that there's anything wrong with Claire (in fact it's a lovely name) but there will be loads of them. If it doesn't bother you, go for it.

I LOVE Edie though

seeker Mon 31-Aug-09 06:18:57

Bear in mind that even if it it a popular name there will probably not be another one in her class, even if there is another one or two in her school.And even if there is another one in her class it really doesn't matter!

There are 5 Emilys in ds's school - and 4 of them are in the same class. They don't mind at all - they think it's funny. Nobody is scarred for life - or even scarred at all - by not having a unique name!

MamaLazarou Mon 31-Aug-09 10:20:05

Edie is brilliant. Talk him into it.

southernbelle77 Mon 31-Aug-09 10:47:51

I like Edie too! Ava and Amelia are lovely names and although popular, I don't think they are 'that' popular that you would have that many in one class. In DD's class they have 2 Megans, 2 Hannahs and 2 Emily/Emilies. They all use their surname initials to differentiate and it's not a problem!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now