Talk

Advanced search

French names....e.g.Delphine, Amandine

(26 Posts)
justbeenforapromenade Sat 29-Aug-09 22:16:15

do they translate well with the British accent or is there a danger of them sounding brash and brassy?

Paolosgirl Sat 29-Aug-09 22:19:38

It depends on the name and it depends what you mean by a British accent!

mathanxiety Sat 29-Aug-09 22:21:21

Depends on what sort of British accent is being used? How bad could Delphine sound? IMO French names are fab in any accent. Of course, if you're French your teeth are probably in for plenty of grinding. (My own Irish teeth are almost worn away).

ravenAK Sat 29-Aug-09 22:24:22

I like Amandine. I know an Amandine who sings with a band called The Eden House - she's lovely & the band are brilliant.

justbeenforapromenade Sat 29-Aug-09 22:25:29

no particular accent....just not French. Basically would they sound too pretentious or common?

Paolosgirl Sat 29-Aug-09 22:35:56

Delphine is lovely, but DUUUUUUL-FEEEEEEENah is not so great - and so on.

A lot of french names are lovely and not at all pretentious, as long as they are not too french iykwim! I'm not sure that they will all sound as good in some of the regional accents in this country though, but that's just my opinion.

GirlsAreLoud Sun 30-Aug-09 08:32:50

I house shared with a french girl called Amandine. We all just pronounced it Am-un-deen. Not as nice as the proper french pronunciation whih I believe is Am-on-deen, but not a terrible name.

girlsyearapart Sun 30-Aug-09 08:48:44

Chain of coffee shops round our way called Amandine so just makes me think of that.
tbh unless you actually have some kind of French ancestry it is a bit pretentious.

My niece has a Spanish name as her Dad is from a Spanish speaking country. People in England seem to have a job saying it correctly even though it's an easy one and it sounds sooo much nicer when a Spanish speaker says it.

belgo Sun 30-Aug-09 09:21:29

I think names like Delphine and Amandine would be quite hard to pull off without a french accent.

How about Vivienne, Celeste, Adele, Josephine?

alypaly Sun 30-Aug-09 09:25:36

fabienne,michelle,nicole

perdu Sun 30-Aug-09 09:25:43

I know a Delphine and don't know of any great problems pronouncing it! she is quite elderly now so not necessarily a trendy 'now' name

MrsMattie Sun 30-Aug-09 09:26:42

loved Angelique when pregnant with DD, but was afraid a London accent would turn it into Angie-Leek...

alypaly Sun 30-Aug-09 09:26:50

irene pronounced irennne

alypaly Sun 30-Aug-09 09:27:46

stefan,

alypaly Sun 30-Aug-09 09:28:32

cherie but that reminds me of tony blair

foreverchanges Sun 30-Aug-09 09:36:19

love the name celeste or celestine

loobylu3 Sun 30-Aug-09 12:55:12

Although Amandine is a beautiful name I think is could be hard to 'pull off' without the French accent. It also might sound a little bit pretentious (depending on where you live).
I think Delphine would be fine. The only one I have ever known had no French ancestry.
Vivienne, Celeste, Adele also lovely and easy to pn.

pranma Sun 30-Aug-09 14:18:13

I know English sisters named Dominique and Marie-Claire and they have never had problems[mum teaches French]

jabberwocky Sun 30-Aug-09 14:20:30

Amelie is a favorite of mine.

Had a friend in school Jean-Claire. She was Cajun/French (from Louisiana)

skibelle Sun 30-Aug-09 14:25:33

Elodie?

fin42 Sun 30-Aug-09 23:08:07

I always remember from my french exchange days the names Sabine, Pascale, Alexia and Sylvie, all pretty easy to pronounce in english, and very pretty names.

NotanOtter Mon 31-Aug-09 00:24:59

sylvie fabienne camille celeste Dominique

NOT Nicole

mathanxiety Mon 31-Aug-09 02:37:23

The only Delphine I knew was an old, old lady. The name was quite popular in the 1900's apparently. How about all the Marie- names? Marie-Louise, Marie-Therese? Or Marianne? I really don't know how anyone could mangle Delphine, though.

bellissima Mon 31-Aug-09 08:08:09

Problem with names that have an alternative English pronunciation (Irene, Agnes etc) is that, whilst the French version is really pretty, they will undoubtedly frequently be referred to by the English. (Well, unless they move!). Like Amandine, not keen on Delphine - think folk will expect her to be the oracle etc.

Annemone? (sposed to be posh but then, as above, they will get 'Annenomee').

Aurelie? - hmm - I know lots of folk think its pretty but to me sounds like something off a Barbie movie - trying too hard to be pretty IYSWIM. (see also Elodie...)

NotanOtter Mon 31-Aug-09 22:26:18

the only delphine i knew was from elephant and castle and would be about 45 now

what a larf she was

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now