Talk

Advanced search

2 weeks to go & still no definate name - freeking out!!!

(21 Posts)
Monkey74 Thu 27-Aug-09 13:56:03

Ok - I'm completely stumped & my other half is making it soooo much harder!!!

I'm 38 weeks pregnant with my second, my first is 15 months & she had her name from 3mths pregnant, we'd found out the sex & decided almost immediately.

Her name is Emily Grace, our 2nd name is two syllable with 'Mc' at the front.

I'd like to have something traditionally classic like Emily's name, however BH is pushing for something a little more Irish, which is impossible as all his family are Irish & they don't have a small family, as soon as I suggest anything it's 'oh my uncle's daughter's niece is called Erin/Caitlin/Naimphe/Ciara' bla bla bla...

I'd like either a 1 or 3 syllable name to coincide with the 2 syllable surname.

I'm also pretty sure I'm carrying a boy but for us they're the hardest names to think of, for girls the only one we have even slightly agreed on is Jessica, no 2nd name's to think of...

I know I've gone on but this has been an ongoing argument since I become pregnant, someone, somewhere please help us!!!

The only name for a boy I like is James, which my other half is sooooo against!!!

GreensleevesFlouncedLikeAKnob Thu 27-Aug-09 13:58:27

Seamus
Rory
Owen
Patrick
Pierce
Joseph

Monkey74 Thu 27-Aug-09 14:12:57

Seamus is the name OH is threatening to use if I call him James as that's the Irish version of James.

He's also banging on about (don't know how to spell it) Poidrige (Podrick) urgh!!! Which is the Irish version of Patrick. Then Patrick can be shortened to Pat which isn't sitting with me to well...

Sorry GreensleevesFlouncedLikeAKnob, I'm not being open am I, uh, don't know what to do...

Poor thing's going to be nameless!!!

belgo Thu 27-Aug-09 14:15:43

Seamus is lovely, so is Sean.

dizzydixies Thu 27-Aug-09 15:40:26

Emily and Patrick are lovely together smile and I adore the nn Patch!

Colm
Dermott
Tadgh

what about Erin for a girl, sits nicely with Emily and means Ireland grin

dizzydixies Thu 27-Aug-09 15:42:28

sorry I missed Erin in your bit above blush I have to say I sympathise completely though as I also married into a massive Irish family where any name I mentioned had already been used

I put my foot down though as last count 10yrs ago DH had 52 first cousins whom he doesn't know and never sees

if you like a name please use it regardless of who has used it before you smile

millenniumfalcon Thu 27-Aug-09 15:43:49

i bet you'll find it easier to decide once baby arrives cos you can look at them and know they're not a francis or a henry. chill out, dd2 didn't have a name at all for the first 10 days and we only picked a middle name at 6 weeks the night before we registered her, never had a seconds doubt since then, though

Monkey74 Thu 27-Aug-09 16:47:35

thanx ladies

dizzydixies how do you pronounce the 3rd one Tadgh - i've never seen that one before...

when we first started thinking about names i had James, Lliam, Dermott, Joseph, Finton, Pierce was another, but one by one they've all been ruled out by OH - I suppose the only one we'd both kind of agree on now for a boy would be Joseph, then what if he doesn't look like a Joseph shock

dizzydixies Thu 27-Aug-09 18:10:02

I would pn is Tag but am sure your Irish DH would do it more justice than me smile

cluckyagain Thu 27-Aug-09 18:13:04

Corey was the one my friends (similar sitn) ended up with - nice name, goes with Emily.

Monkey74 Fri 28-Aug-09 23:20:17

Hiya Lasses - dizzydixies asked OH how would pn Tadgh - he said 'Taji'... I'm not sold though...

Still stumped - I've been reading some of the other threads & my names sound really boring in comparison, but I don't think I could ever be so daring as other's are at naming their babies...

I still really love James, but OH still says he will call him forever Seamus if he does get called that - belgo, it may have to grow on me

we're still liking Joseph together though so we're doing better than some that are have already had there bundles of joy 2wks ago - gosh - I would be literally climbing the walls by that stage

so I guess I can just chillax a bit now - thank you for all your suggestions xxx

Monkey74 Sun 30-Aug-09 08:33:59

Girl's what do you think of (for boys):-

Eshton
Jesse
Timon
Adriel

??? hmm

belgo Sun 30-Aug-09 08:36:05

Eshton
Timon
Adriel

all dreadful, sorry.

Monkey74 Sun 30-Aug-09 08:39:37

oh... really - I was trying to think of something different... thanx hun - maybe stick to the oldies but goodies... wink

belgo Sun 30-Aug-09 08:52:19

Yes I think that's the problem, trying too hard to think of something differentwink. Stick to the oldies but goodies.

girlsyearapart Sun 30-Aug-09 08:54:04

Timon is the name of that animal out of Lion King..
Think the name you were trying to spell is Padraic? Pronounced POrrick. Sounding v much like Porridge.
I second James.
If DH wasn't called that (and we had a boy) I'd have it.
Like Henry and Joseph for boys.
Maybe in the postnatal happymoment your DH will give in about James?

Stokey Sun 30-Aug-09 08:57:15

What about Declan?

THere's a site called baby names of Ireland which has Frank Mccourt pronouncing them all.

May be worth a look

nigglewiggle Sun 30-Aug-09 09:01:36

I thought it was spelled Padraig (as in the golfer Harrington). I rather like it and wouldn't think of porridge grin.

What about Saoirse for a girl?

Monkey74 Sun 30-Aug-09 09:23:01

Well, girls we can think of an abundance that we like, so maybe that's my hormones telling something...

Our top favourite is Jessica, teamed with 2nd name of either Beri, Lilly or Sarah...

DD1 has 2 middle names, so 3rd name will be family which is ok, we shorten DD1's to Milly.

Then also on the short list like Magdalene (Maggie), Helena, Matilda (Tilly) or Constance (Connie).

Top name for boy still Joseph, don't know about 2nd names at all.

Also like Jarad, Joshua, Thomas & just seen Regan...???

NBelle Sun 30-Aug-09 17:39:33

I really like Innes for a boy

TinyPawz Mon 31-Aug-09 13:23:42

Cahal
Faichra
Finnbharr
Oisin

Those were on my list for boys.

Monkey where in Ireland is your DP from? The reason I ask, is Tadgh where I am is pn 'Tyge' not 'Taji'

I wouldn't worry about having the same name as cousin/uncle/grandfather. It is very common to ave same/similar names within a family.

Good Luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now