(48 Posts)
Kwini Mon 24-Aug-09 12:48:00

for a girl?

(It's Hungarian).

Podrick Mon 24-Aug-09 12:49:02

Nice if you are hungarian
If not then forget it

LynetteScavo Mon 24-Aug-09 12:51:30

Do you have bare feet a lot and grow all your own veg?

If so you can probably pull it off.

Kwini Mon 24-Aug-09 12:52:50

Bare feet, yes. And grow herbs - does that count?

orangina Mon 24-Aug-09 12:55:27

She will need to wear a drndl skirt for the rest of her life.

Kwini Mon 24-Aug-09 12:57:04

Ok...just out of interest, would you have thought this if I'd not said it was a Hungarian name?

(Thinking along the lines of Sadie - Zadie...)

purpleflower Mon 24-Aug-09 12:58:33

I would use it but my children are half hungarian grin

The problem I would have with it is the spelling/pronounciation. It isn't pronounced how it would read to an English person. For that reason my DCs have hungarian middle names and english first names to make it easier.

orangina Mon 24-Aug-09 13:03:38

tbh, would have wondered why the insane spelling.

she will spend a disproportionate amount of her lifetime spelling her name to everyone. Or changing it eventually.

zsa zsa gabor got away with it, so perhaps we are just being harsh....

MaggieLeo Mon 24-Aug-09 13:06:36

No.

I like Susie though. Is it pronounced Susie?

I know a Zaza. nn for Eliza. Cute.

Paolosgirl Mon 24-Aug-09 13:06:48

How do you pronounce it?

Rachykate Mon 24-Aug-09 13:28:41

a friend of mine is called Zsuzsi, suits her, tis just another pretty name. if it suits your little one when you pop her out then yey!

MrsBadger Mon 24-Aug-09 13:31:54

Are you Hungarian? If not then no

If you pronounce it 'Susie' then ffs call her Susie.

Kwini Mon 24-Aug-09 13:39:09

I'd pronounce the "z", so no, it's not exactly "Susie" (in the same way that Zadie is different from Sadie!)

MrsMattie Mon 24-Aug-09 13:40:45

It seems like a complicated and poncy way to spell Susie unless you are Hungarian.

I know a little girl called ZsuZsu <no comment>

MrsBadger Mon 24-Aug-09 13:43:51

yes you'd pronouce the z but would Hungarians?

If you just want the sound then IMO Zuzie would be better

purpleflower Mon 24-Aug-09 13:47:22

You don't actually pronounce the Z, when the Z and S are together it sounds different, it's very hard to explain. Their alphabet is very different for eg an 's' is a 'sh' sound when on its own.

MrsBadger Mon 24-Aug-09 13:50:41

purpleflower, could you do it in IPA?

am fascinated as to how it should sound (and to be frank the OP should know too)

purpleflower Mon 24-Aug-09 13:53:19

I really can't. I don't even say it completely right. It's EXDP's aunty and godmothers name so I can ask him when he comes to see the DCs tonight.

He tried for years to teach me Hungarian but the pronounciation is so different I just couldn't get the hang of it

Kwini Mon 24-Aug-09 13:56:32

Mrs. Badger, the Zsuzsi I know pronounces it "Zuzi"

(As it happens, she's not Hungarian...but she lives in Canada, where people aren't quite so prescriptive about these things!)

MmeLindt Mon 24-Aug-09 13:59:23

If I did not know that it was Hungarian, I would have thought it was someone trying to be original and cute. Like spelling Kylie Kaylee.

I just looked up a Hungarian Pronounciation Guide, it states:

Zs, zs - z as in azure (zh)

MrsBadger Mon 24-Aug-09 14:02:58

now Zuzi I could live with (or at least not snort openly at)

it's the extraneous letters that drive me bats

purpleflower Mon 24-Aug-09 14:06:03

The way XDP says it is like ZH but very slightly different so I suppose it could just be an accent

GrendelsMum Mon 24-Aug-09 14:09:32

I know a Hungarian woman called Zsuzsi (pronounced with the z like 'azure', so 'jujie') - I'm afraid we all called her Sushi, but that's mainly because she was a spoilt cow.

chandellina Mon 24-Aug-09 15:58:17

i know a Zsuzsanna (and am never sure if i'm pronouncing her name right!), and my best friend just named her daughter Zsa Zsa. i have enough trouble with the spelling/pronunciation of my name (not my mumsnet name - that's based on my much easier middle name) so i wouldn't do it myself.

DeathbyDora Mon 24-Aug-09 16:04:32

She'll get called Sushi at some point... I do love names that are a bit different but not hugely keen on this one. Sorry Kwini! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now