Talk

Advanced search

Violet - the next big thing?

(20 Posts)
heylottie Sat 22-Aug-09 17:34:11

Am having my first baby in a few weeks and we have decided on a boys name (Sonny). My DH has 'generously' decided to let me choose the girls name.

The sort of names I like are the very popular ones: Lily, Ruby, Poppy. But what I really really want to call her is Violet. Violet Nell maybe.

I don't mind if there are a few Violets knocking about -but is Violet the new Lily/Isabella/Ruby? Do you know many? I have noticed a few in the birth announcements you see...

I shouldn't care should I? And just call her Violet.

Yes.

JRocks Sat 22-Aug-09 17:45:10

I like it. Not sure about Nell though, but each to theit own

sunfleurs Sat 22-Aug-09 17:49:12

Yes, its beautiful. I would be moved to comment on how lovely it was if someone told me that was their childs name.

MaggieLeo Sat 22-Aug-09 17:49:44

yes, if you like Violet, then there is nothing wrong with using that name. Just don't use it if most of it's charm for you is that it's extremely unusual, because I think she may very well run into another one.

But it'll never be as popular as Isabella, Olivia or Amelia. It's less obviously pretty. It's got too much strength to ever be a top ten name (imo)

mrswoolf Sat 22-Aug-09 17:50:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

violethill Sat 22-Aug-09 18:12:30

Love it! (naturally!)

I agree that Nell isn't the best combo though, in fact Nell is more an abbreviation thana name in its own right.

How about Violet Alice? Violet Mary? Just suggestions.

Also, be prepared for her to get called 'Vi' a few months down the line, which does sound more like an old lady with her hair in rollers than a baby grin

BuckBuckMcFate Sat 22-Aug-09 18:15:52

I like Violet and Nell but not together

ViNell - not good!!

SuchandSuch Sat 22-Aug-09 18:25:19

Violet is a beautiful name. I do think that it is the new 'popular, trying to be quirky name' though. Don't want to put you off but although it sounds lovely, Violet Nell sounds very much like a Sarah Waters character
Sonny is great!

diddl Sat 22-Aug-09 21:11:51

I love it.
The Duke of Rutland has a daughter, Violet.
When she was born the actor Richard Todd wanted to send the mother a bunch of violets, but it was the wrong time of year.
So he sent a mixed bouquet with the message: "how clever you are to have a Violet out of season"

nkf Sat 22-Aug-09 21:14:28

It's a lovely name. If I was having another baby (sigh) I'd be very tempted. I think it might become a bit popular but not as popular as, say, Lily.

nkf Sat 22-Aug-09 21:14:38

It's a lovely name. If I was having another baby (sigh) I'd be very tempted. I think it might become a bit popular but not as popular as, say, Lily.

malung Sat 22-Aug-09 21:47:09

Beautiful though it is, Violet is definitely the next big name. Because it is so beautifulsmile

Rosebud05 Sat 22-Aug-09 21:52:38

I liked Violet for my dd (2.5 years ago), though a friend said all it conjured up for her was the unpleasant little girl in 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory'. That sort of put me off a bit, but my dh wasn't keen so we went for another flower name. I'd say go for it if you like it.

Tortington Sat 22-Aug-09 21:53:45

it was my nans name and i love it

my mums name was cecilia - and i love that even more ( although mum was a nutjob)

LynetteScavo Sat 22-Aug-09 21:55:04

I don't think it is the next big thing...like Iris wasn't.

Ponders Sat 22-Aug-09 21:55:34

I'm not sure - Jennifer Garner's beautiful daughter (aged 3 now I think? or even 4?) is Violet, & I'm not aware that she has spawned a rash of copycats?

I mean, I think if Violet was ever going to take off, it would have done by now. So probably safe.

Violet Eleanor has a nice rhythm smile

GirlsAreLoud Sat 22-Aug-09 21:56:31

Violet makes me thing of old ladies and parma violets so I can't see it getting that popular.

feedthegoat Sat 22-Aug-09 22:02:16

I do know a baby called Violet. It is a lovely name.

tummytickler Sat 22-Aug-09 22:05:00

I dont know.
I had my dd Iris, just before Jude Law. When they had theirs i did panic a bit blush.
But have never come across another Iris.
Maybe people are more likely to avoid a name when used by a celeb???
I know 3 Violets, all over 7. I know a hell of a lot of kids (as i have 4) and no little Violets at the mo. It is lovely though.
Personally i think Penelope will be the next big thing

MaggieLeo Sun 23-Aug-09 11:57:27

Violet was already increasing in popularity when Jennifer Garner and Ben Affleck used it.

A name like Violet appeals to people partly imo because it's unusual and not to everybody's taste. I think tummytickler is right, a sleb having used this name may have taken the name Violet OFF people's lists.

Names like Ruby and Ava were boosted (more) by slebs using them I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now