Talk

Advanced search

What do you think of Hortensia?

(27 Posts)
settingsun Sat 22-Aug-09 13:40:26

What do you think of Hortensia as a girl's name? It's listed on Mumsnet's Baby Name Finder.

piscesmoon Sat 22-Aug-09 13:43:21

I think it would be very difficult to live with and would have lots of possible nicknames-not of which are nice!

perdu Sat 22-Aug-09 13:44:17

'little' bit pretentious to be honest

Paolosgirl Sat 22-Aug-09 13:45:44

I think it depends very much on you social standing, iykwim grin

Also agree with Pisces - Hor is not a nickname I'd like for my dd

wilkos Sat 22-Aug-09 13:46:26

the obvious diminutive will probably be "Horty" which will become "Horsey".

or "Tense" hmm

unless you can make a prettier shortening or demand people call her by the full version i would advise against, sorry

TheBolter Sat 22-Aug-09 13:51:44

Yy depends on social standing.

I wouldn't do it personally.

LynetteScavo Sat 22-Aug-09 14:13:04

If I had to meet someone called Hortensia for the first time, I wouldn't be looking forward to it.

She would probably be the chair of the PTA.

movingnow Sat 22-Aug-09 14:13:36

no

diddl Sat 22-Aug-09 14:55:05

No to my taste.
Are you after "H" names?
I always wanted Hebe, but doesn´t go with hubby´s surname.

Tidey Sat 22-Aug-09 14:58:45

Is your husband's surname Jeebie, diddl?

I'm not keen on Hortensia, tbh. It sounds like the name of a cartoon hippo.

diddl Sat 22-Aug-09 15:00:35

No,it begins with an "H".

Tidey Sat 22-Aug-09 15:01:21

Fair do's , no offence meant.

diddl Sat 22-Aug-09 15:04:17

None taken!

Thunderduck Sat 22-Aug-09 16:52:42

I think it's an incredibly ugly name.

plonker Sat 22-Aug-09 17:07:03

Really don't like it I'm afraid.

It sounds snooty and unattractive to me ...

Mumcentreplus Sat 22-Aug-09 17:07:41

Yikes! hmm

MadBadandDangerousToKnow Sat 22-Aug-09 17:11:29

The French version Hortense sounds gentler on the ear, but I think you can only really pull it off (the name, not the ear) if you are French and/or live in France.

Agree that Hebe is a fab name.

MaggieLeo Sat 22-Aug-09 17:30:04

ludicrously pretentious... I like a good crisp, crusty blow the cobwebs off kind of name,,,,,, but there's a limit.

Hebe is terrible. Heeby geebies.

Re social standing,,, if kate middleton or zara philips chose this it'd still be 'too posh'.

RustyBear Sat 22-Aug-09 17:36:01

Well, it's (slightly) better than Hortense, which always reminds me of the old joke:

"Is that Hortense?"

"No, she seems quite relaxed to me..."

MadBadandDangerousToKnow Sat 22-Aug-09 17:47:31

I think Hortense needs to be pronounced Orrrr-tonce, which is why it can only be done in France or French-speaking families. Otherwise it's off the end of the poncetastic scale.

motherbeyond Sat 22-Aug-09 17:50:43

it's god awful..imagine saddling a cherubic newborn with that! it sounds like one of those names you can make into a vomit noise ..like raaaaaaallph!....

horteeeeeeensiauggghhh!

ahem,sorry..that'll be a no from me grin

honeydew Sat 22-Aug-09 21:28:04

well Hortensia is rather posh and not too bad. BUT... and the big but is what it will be shortened to?

There is no way that she will get called Hortensia on an every day basis, so what would you be happy with? Horty? Tensy? Tensia? Hebe?

I do think it's a difficult name to shorten that works well.

My name is Alexandra and everyone call me Alex. I absolutely hate it. Although Alexandra is not unisex- Alex is. Everyone think I'm male until they meet me and is sounds so masculine.

My posh name also now sits very badly with my Irish married name, to the point where I'm actually going to change my Christian name now because it sounds so crap,(I don't want to return to my maiden name though now I have kids).

You need to choose a name that sits well with your surname and any future name she may have.

'Hortensia Williams' or 'Hortensia Elliot' sound fine and quite classically English, but Hortensia O'Leary or plain surnames like Baker, Adams or Rowe just don't go at all.

So I would avoid it even though it's nicer than some and is rather eighteenth century and elegant.

How about something similarly elegant yet easier going and slightly more popular but not common e.g, Clarissa, Georgiana, Henrietta, Julianna, Dorothea, Louisa, etc.

settingsun Sun 23-Aug-09 15:01:13

These comments are not good. Not one person likes it. I don't like the shortenings and would have used it in full.
thank you

diddl Sun 23-Aug-09 15:25:14

Honeydew-sorry, but I can´t believe that you think Alexandra is posh!

settingsun
If you´re after "H" names, what about Harriet, Hettie, Hester?

seaturtle Mon 24-Aug-09 00:26:01

I don't usually comment on names I don't like because I usually think, what does it matter if I don't like it. It's your baby.

Unfortunately I have to agree with most people here. Sorry settingsun!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now