Talk

Advanced search

Twin names

(11 Posts)
Derv78 Thu 20-Aug-09 22:22:23

Currently 21+1 pg with identical twins, so we know the babies are the same sex. DD's name is Catherine, so we want names to complement hers.
DH is sure he saw that twins are boys & is reluctantly considering girls' names.
So far are combos are Adam & Thomas, Cillian & Rory & Amy & Eleanor.
Any thoughts?

crokky Thu 20-Aug-09 22:35:13

Like all your names, but have never heard of Cillian before so would not personally use that one.

jellybeans Thu 20-Aug-09 23:35:07

Congrats I have 6 year old twins, they are so much fun! I like most of your names...

Adam & Thomas...these are quite nice and solid names, not too trendy and go well together.
Cillian & Rory...not keen on Cillian but Rory is nice.

Amy & Eleanor...I like these alot and they go really well together, do you like Ellie too as it may get shortened. Amy and Ellie is OK.

Other ideas to go with Catherine....Josie, Elizabeth, Beth, Francesca, Sarah.

mathanxiety Fri 21-Aug-09 07:34:43

Cillian is Irish, as is Rory. I would seriously consider spelling it with a K (it's a hard C), or face a lifetime of explaining it's not Sillian or Gillian. I think the K spelling is even preferred in Ireland over the correctly Gaelic C spelling. I like all the names.

Derv78 Fri 21-Aug-09 10:42:04

Thanks for all your comments ladies.

Mathanxiety: I appreciate what you're saying about the pronounciation of Cillian; DH himself thought the actor was called 'Sillian' Murphy! However, I have an Irish name myself & am used to having to correct people. I speak fairly good Irish, so would probably be purist about using a C rather than K (no K in the Irish alphabet) although in saying that prefer Rory to the more traditional 'Ruaraí'. But I'm allowing myself that one as the names are pronounced differently!

Jellybeans: How busy were the first few months/ years with twins? Are yours identical? Did you have any other kids before your twins came along? My little girl is only 15 months so preparing for bedlam in December! Know it's all gonna be worth it though. Sorry, lots of questions there!
Do like Ellie, though it was the name of my SIL's dog (sadly deceased)! We thought of Ella as a shortened version, as I really like that as a name in it's own right.

diddl Fri 21-Aug-09 11:26:02

I love Rory.
Prefer Ciaron to Cillian.
(Also like Liam.)

Like both Amy & Eleanor, (& Ciara).

mathanxiety Fri 21-Aug-09 18:38:03

I speak Irish too, and the K spelling doesn't look a bit right to me either, but having to explain the pronunciation of your name to people becomes annoying after a while. I have an Irish name that doesn't look a bit like it's pronounced and my experiences in the US were only funny with the benefit of hindsight. I knew a Ciara and a Ciaran in the US (2 diff families) whose parents had to explain things constantly.

MaggieBeauLeo Fri 21-Aug-09 18:43:51

I'm guessing you're dervla yourself!?

I like Cillian and Rory! but how about Diarmuid and Rory.

Adam and Thomas makes me fall asleep over my typing hands, even though they are fine names, and would never be disadvantageous to a child.

Amy and Eleanor are both nice, but a little bit unbalanced. Amelia and Eleanor or Amy and Ella sound more equal to eachother.

What do you think of Clodagh? clodagh and Eleanor?

People can't spell anything. They can't spell Margaret. There are about four different ways of spelling Catherine. Elizabeth can be spelt with an S. Juliet can be Juliette. I could go on and on.

GossipMonger Fri 21-Aug-09 18:44:26

ooh how exciting!

To go with Catherine I would have

Thomas and Samuel

and

Ella and Annabel

Not keen on Cillian esp as it is said with a hard C - why would you want Kill in your child's name - imho.

Love Rory and love Ned and love Max.

MaggieBeauLeo Fri 21-Aug-09 18:45:37

Oh, just seen your daughter is a Catherine!! Juliet and Annabel would go very well with Catherine.

changenameruk Fri 21-Aug-09 19:50:58

to go with catherine i would have

samuel and James

and

emma and grace

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now