Talk

Advanced search

Jem for Jeremiah?

(17 Posts)
VanillaIce Thu 20-Aug-09 15:46:33

What do people think of the name Jeremiah? To be shortened to Jem (as in To Kill a Mockingbird). I feel you need a proper name to christen them with, hence Jeremiah, which should keep any priest happy!

lynniep Thu 20-Aug-09 15:50:08

I like it. I may even pinch it wink

Heated Thu 20-Aug-09 15:51:29

Yes, it will work imo. Jem in TKAM was a Jeremy, the other name that Jem shortens from(love that book & Gregory Peck btw!)

VanillaIce Thu 20-Aug-09 15:51:56

Feel free lynniep but if you live in my neck of the woods, there'll be handbags! grin

brimfull Thu 20-Aug-09 15:52:08

I really like it

LetThemEatCake Thu 20-Aug-09 17:13:24

lovely, go for it

tummytickler Thu 20-Aug-09 18:30:50

Oh - I wanted this exact combo - Jeremiah for a full name and Jem for a nn!
dh wont let me though - i still intend to change his mind - you never know!
So i love it - i am glad a little Jeremiah/Jem will be running around somewheere even if he is not mine grin

Thunderduck Thu 20-Aug-09 18:36:48

I love Jeremiah. No need for a nickname though imho.

donttrythisathome Thu 20-Aug-09 18:49:49

Very traditional name in Ireland for the older flat-cap generation. Shortened to Miah often. There was a double-act in Cork called Cha and Miah...

So, if you're in Ireland, in particular Cork, and don't want those associations, then no. Otherwise, I think it's a far superior name to Jeremy, which sounds watery and weak to me.

GrapefruitMoon Thu 20-Aug-09 18:56:28

I think the reason Jeremiah was popular in ireland was that it is/was used as an Anglicized version of Diarmuid. I've never heard of it being shortened to Jem tbh and I'm not sure it's time for a comeback has come yet... but I like Jem - but didn't that used to be a short version of James (which I prefer to Jeremiah)

WinkyWinkola Thu 20-Aug-09 19:24:10

I love it.

catinthehat2 Thu 20-Aug-09 19:29:58

Not bad at all, I like it.

MsBrandybuck Thu 20-Aug-09 19:31:00

Excellent choice wink

hester Thu 20-Aug-09 19:39:26

Really nice.

jkklpu Thu 20-Aug-09 19:40:44

I know one - vg

mathanxiety Fri 21-Aug-09 07:49:00

I think Jeremy is a Polish version of Jeremiah -- if not then it's used by the Polish community in the US quite a lot and I can't figure out why. It's a great name, sometimes also shortened to Jer. You don't bump into a lot of them.

BalloonSlayer Fri 21-Aug-09 08:04:06

Jeremiah is a lovely sounding name I agree but it is a synonym for a misery-guts, particularly among the older generation/religious people.

"I don't want to be a Jeremiah about it but..."

This is because Jeremiah was a prophet in the Bible who had a lot of bad news to prophesy prophisie fortell. I think he was the original "prophet of doom."

In my not-very-thorough dictionary it says "a pessimistic person."

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now