Talk

Advanced search

Monty??

(27 Posts)
weaselbudge Thu 20-Aug-09 13:46:43

My DH is dead set on the name Monty. I do like it but worry that it's too "nicknamey" and also have seen opinions of other mumsnetters on this in the past (too posh etc etc).

One solution could be to use Monty as a middle name so that ds could choose which to use when he's older - or would this be really annoying for him?

Or am I worrying needlessly - seems there are more and more Montys around...

The problem is that we just don't have any other names we like!

NigellaTufnel Thu 20-Aug-09 14:47:25

My DH loves it too.

weaselbudge Thu 20-Aug-09 14:54:13

I guess it's a good sign if the DHs like it - means it's not too poncey??

MiniLlace Thu 20-Aug-09 14:57:19

My DH loves it - we are having a DD but he wanted this in the running if we had a DS - to compromise the bump was being called it (up until we found out its a girl) but if future child #2 ends up being a boy i think this will all be up for discussion again!

bodiddly Thu 20-Aug-09 14:59:25

love it ... couldn't you have it as a shortened version of Montgomery or some such?

peanutbutterkid Thu 20-Aug-09 15:00:58

I know a lot of pets named Monty.
It sounds like it ought to be short for something.

steamedtreaclesponge Thu 20-Aug-09 15:08:12

I have a friend called Monty, short for Montgomery. Would definitely go for Montgomery and then shorten it as I'm not really into christening children with nicknames but I guess that's up to you! It is quite posh but not overly so, IMO.

sonniebonnie Thu 20-Aug-09 15:39:00

I love Montgomery - nickname Monty!

But then I love what some of you describe 'posh' names like Sebastian, Quentin and Hugo grin!

VanillaIce Thu 20-Aug-09 15:39:48

I love it; it's one of the few names myself and DH agree on too. [peanutbutterkid], when you say you know "a lot of pets called Monty" - how many are we talking? 2? or 200?

brimfull Thu 20-Aug-09 15:40:10

i like

KERALA1 Thu 20-Aug-09 15:44:46

I really like it. Funky and masculine. Only know one and they are a really nice family.

hulabula Thu 20-Aug-09 15:45:55

Would definately go for Montgomery on birth certificate!

SpawnChorus Thu 20-Aug-09 15:49:40

I can't help thinking "Monty! You terrible cunt!"

But apart from that it's a good name.

brimfull Thu 20-Aug-09 16:08:06

rofl at spawn!

screamingabdab Thu 20-Aug-09 16:38:08

Yep, me too, Uncle Monty.

Too "posh" for my tastes

mrswoolf Thu 20-Aug-09 16:46:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tinfoil Thu 20-Aug-09 16:59:36

Monty Don

purpleduck Thu 20-Aug-09 17:00:32

You mean like like Mr Burns from the Simpsons.....

grin

weaselbudge Thu 20-Aug-09 19:17:38

Yes - mrswoolf - that is my problem. i would like a longer name but they DO all seem "grandiose and cumbersome". I can't help feeling he would be more likely to be bullied for montgomery than just plain Monty.
Also it's one of those names that he could get away with if he's goodlooking and charismatic which unfortunately even with my genes I can't guarantee grin

I don't care about the pet thing - in fact my ILs dog is also called Monty!

mathanxiety Fri 21-Aug-09 07:53:42

Would that be The Full Monty? Sorry, I can't help myself, loved the film, but... there's that association for me.

angrypixie Fri 21-Aug-09 08:05:50

I've taught 2, they were both utterly wet and mumsey so it's a no from me.

JeanLouiseFinch Mon 24-Aug-09 00:48:08

I love the name- it was on the list until dp vetoed it

lazylion Mon 24-Aug-09 09:47:32

It sounds like it is trying too hard to me. Just my predjudice but Monty sounds like a boy with gel spiked hair and designer clothes. Quite like the full Montgomery though.

SouthernMeerkat Mon 24-Aug-09 13:31:21

I REALLY liked it, but with a double-barrelled surname and 3 children, we cannot privately educate as we would have liked, so DH vetoed it as he felt that the poor boy would have a tough time at school. In fact, in the area in which we live now, I think we would have got away with it as there are lots of similar names.......

weaselbudge Mon 24-Aug-09 13:32:38

Thanks for your comments guys. I have since had discussions with DH and it is looking like he will compromise with "George". If DS1 is anything to go by, DS2 will be a bit of a bruiser so I think he could get away with it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now