Talk

Advanced search

Jasmine or Yasmin

(23 Posts)
oldboiler Tue 18-Aug-09 20:05:48

Partner and I are struggling to agree on a girls name and the only ones he likes are Jasmine or Yasmin. I'm not sure as I think they sound too exotic (and baby is unlikely to have exotic looks with two pasty skinned parents).
What are your thoughts?
Also are they classy or is Jasmine a bit chav?

MrsMattie Tue 18-Aug-09 20:35:00

Yasmin - less common (in this country) and very pretty. Was on our final list of girls names.

WinkyWinkola Tue 18-Aug-09 20:38:51

Yasmin.

msrisotto Tue 18-Aug-09 20:43:16

Oh I love Jasmin. Yasmin reminds me of a brand of pill.

Ineedsomesleep Tue 18-Aug-09 20:46:02

Love both, but would choose Yasmin.

mumtoted Tue 18-Aug-09 20:59:30

I prefer Jasmine.

hester Tue 18-Aug-09 21:05:14

Both are very pretty.

Clary Tue 18-Aug-09 21:05:20

Yasmin le Bon - very nice

Jasmine - more popular. Four in our inf school of 200 kids (prob about 90 girls so that's one in 22 blimey!) I like it tho and not exotic. At any rate the ones I know aren't wink

screamingabdab Tue 18-Aug-09 23:00:38

I prefer Jasmine, especially if DD is unlikely to look exotic. Jasmine is a pretty, fragrant flower. Nowt wrong with that !

No Jasmines round here

QOD Tue 18-Aug-09 23:03:14

Jasmin is the bestest name in the world

LOL

VanillaIce Wed 19-Aug-09 15:28:01

Yasmin is nice, except that it's my brand of the Pill.

shoobidoo Wed 19-Aug-09 17:27:43

I like Yasmina over Jasmine or Yasmin.

GrimmaTheNome Wed 19-Aug-09 17:32:48

Jasmine.

moondog Wed 19-Aug-09 17:42:27

They are both chavvy.

LynetteScavo Wed 19-Aug-09 17:47:40

Yasmin will be weird if you are not dark skinned.

Jasmine is sort of OK...the only Jasmines I know (I know 3) aren't chavvy, infact one is v. posh, but I wouldn't use it now, as I know it is considered chavvy....with DC1 was going to be either Jasmine or James.

CoteDAzur Wed 19-Aug-09 22:02:11

In the English language, that flower is called Jasmine. So go with that name.

Yasmin/Yasmina/Yasemin in Iran, Turkey, various Arab countries, because that is what that flower is called there.

simplesusan Thu 20-Aug-09 11:14:31

I prefer Yasmin but do agree it congers up images of a very dark haired girl.
So if you are pale I would go with Jasmine.

KAEKAE Thu 20-Aug-09 14:37:03

I lived next door to a Yasmin, very chav IMO. Oh and she was very dark skinned and dark haired! I dislike both names...sorry.

mowbraygirl Thu 20-Aug-09 15:24:17

I love Jasmine but then I am prejudiced as that is my GD's name. She has just turned 8 and is the only Jasmine in her school. My SIL lived in Saudi Arabia for years as a child so when they couldn't decide on a name I suggested maybe something that reminded him of his childhood and maybe a version of an Arabic name so Yasmin/ Jasmine.

WinomoreTheFruitbat Thu 20-Aug-09 15:25:26

I love Jasmine - especially Jazz for short smile

QOD Thu 20-Aug-09 17:57:40

LMAO at the comments about it being chavvy - I frequently call my dd

Chavmin

LOL

I love calling her from across the park...
"CHAVMIN! CHAV....... come on Chavvy"

and we really are NOT chavvy nor do we live in a remotely chavvy area

We called her Jasmin and then that Angela Griffiths was in Holby or Casualty and her character name was Nurse Jasmine - she was soooooooo pretty and then bammo - hundreds of Jasmines aged from 10 and under
grrr

pinkmagic1 Thu 20-Aug-09 18:06:41

My daughters Yasmin, how dare anyone say its chavvy! She is half Arab and has dark hair and skin and it really suits her. Jasmine is lovely too and a little less exotic so would be ok for a blonde, blue eyed girl.

hulabula Thu 20-Aug-09 18:21:31

Some people DO consider names (e.g. Yasmin or Jasmine) chavvy. Just like some people consider other names posh. Personally, I don't like that classification but then I'm not British and don't understand the remnants of the UK class system....

The OP is, I assume, asking for honest opinions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now