Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Jasmine or Yasmin

(23 Posts)
oldboiler Tue 18-Aug-09 20:05:48

Partner and I are struggling to agree on a girls name and the only ones he likes are Jasmine or Yasmin. I'm not sure as I think they sound too exotic (and baby is unlikely to have exotic looks with two pasty skinned parents).
What are your thoughts?
Also are they classy or is Jasmine a bit chav?

MrsMattie Tue 18-Aug-09 20:35:00

Yasmin - less common (in this country) and very pretty. Was on our final list of girls names.

WinkyWinkola Tue 18-Aug-09 20:38:51

Yasmin.

msrisotto Tue 18-Aug-09 20:43:16

Oh I love Jasmin. Yasmin reminds me of a brand of pill.

Ineedsomesleep Tue 18-Aug-09 20:46:02

Love both, but would choose Yasmin.

mumtoted Tue 18-Aug-09 20:59:30

I prefer Jasmine.

hester Tue 18-Aug-09 21:05:14

Both are very pretty.

Clary Tue 18-Aug-09 21:05:20

Yasmin le Bon - very nice

Jasmine - more popular. Four in our inf school of 200 kids (prob about 90 girls so that's one in 22 blimey!) I like it tho and not exotic. At any rate the ones I know aren't wink

screamingabdab Tue 18-Aug-09 23:00:38

I prefer Jasmine, especially if DD is unlikely to look exotic. Jasmine is a pretty, fragrant flower. Nowt wrong with that !

No Jasmines round here

QOD Tue 18-Aug-09 23:03:14

Jasmin is the bestest name in the world

LOL

VanillaIce Wed 19-Aug-09 15:28:01

Yasmin is nice, except that it's my brand of the Pill.

shoobidoo Wed 19-Aug-09 17:27:43

I like Yasmina over Jasmine or Yasmin.

GrimmaTheNome Wed 19-Aug-09 17:32:48

Jasmine.

moondog Wed 19-Aug-09 17:42:27

They are both chavvy.

LynetteScavo Wed 19-Aug-09 17:47:40

Yasmin will be weird if you are not dark skinned.

Jasmine is sort of OK...the only Jasmines I know (I know 3) aren't chavvy, infact one is v. posh, but I wouldn't use it now, as I know it is considered chavvy....with DC1 was going to be either Jasmine or James.

CoteDAzur Wed 19-Aug-09 22:02:11

In the English language, that flower is called Jasmine. So go with that name.

Yasmin/Yasmina/Yasemin in Iran, Turkey, various Arab countries, because that is what that flower is called there.

simplesusan Thu 20-Aug-09 11:14:31

I prefer Yasmin but do agree it congers up images of a very dark haired girl.
So if you are pale I would go with Jasmine.

KAEKAE Thu 20-Aug-09 14:37:03

I lived next door to a Yasmin, very chav IMO. Oh and she was very dark skinned and dark haired! I dislike both names...sorry.

mowbraygirl Thu 20-Aug-09 15:24:17

I love Jasmine but then I am prejudiced as that is my GD's name. She has just turned 8 and is the only Jasmine in her school. My SIL lived in Saudi Arabia for years as a child so when they couldn't decide on a name I suggested maybe something that reminded him of his childhood and maybe a version of an Arabic name so Yasmin/ Jasmine.

WinomoreTheFruitbat Thu 20-Aug-09 15:25:26

I love Jasmine - especially Jazz for short smile

QOD Thu 20-Aug-09 17:57:40

LMAO at the comments about it being chavvy - I frequently call my dd

Chavmin

LOL

I love calling her from across the park...
"CHAVMIN! CHAV....... come on Chavvy"

and we really are NOT chavvy nor do we live in a remotely chavvy area

We called her Jasmin and then that Angela Griffiths was in Holby or Casualty and her character name was Nurse Jasmine - she was soooooooo pretty and then bammo - hundreds of Jasmines aged from 10 and under
grrr

pinkmagic1 Thu 20-Aug-09 18:06:41

My daughters Yasmin, how dare anyone say its chavvy! She is half Arab and has dark hair and skin and it really suits her. Jasmine is lovely too and a little less exotic so would be ok for a blonde, blue eyed girl.

hulabula Thu 20-Aug-09 18:21:31

Some people DO consider names (e.g. Yasmin or Jasmine) chavvy. Just like some people consider other names posh. Personally, I don't like that classification but then I'm not British and don't understand the remnants of the UK class system....

The OP is, I assume, asking for honest opinions.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: