Talk

Advanced search

Phoenix for a girl??

(28 Posts)
lixanismapolium Mon 17-Aug-09 15:07:35

DH suggested Phoenix for our DD, but I've only ever heard of boys with that name. Any thoughts? Or do you know girls called Phoenix? What do you think it would be shortened to? Fifi?

Greensleeves Mon 17-Aug-09 15:08:34

could shorten to Phoenie pron.Feenie? like Phoebe

MadameCastafiore Mon 17-Aug-09 15:09:46

Think it extremely chavvy!

AramintaCane Mon 17-Aug-09 15:10:11

love it - I know one and it is shortened to Fee.

AramintaCane Mon 17-Aug-09 15:11:24

chavvy ? Really ?

MaggieBeauLeo Mon 17-Aug-09 15:11:25

As MadameCastafiore said.

Phoebe Beatrix would be an absolute gorgeous name, and you could, if you felt the need, nick name her Phoenix until you came to your senses.

Renee has the same meaning.

Phoebe Renee if it's the meaning you love.

CuppaTeaJanice Mon 17-Aug-09 15:15:30

Isn't one of Mel B's daughters called Phoenix Chi?

AramintaCane Mon 17-Aug-09 15:17:53

Oh i see that would put me off. BTW the Phoenix I know would be horrifed - she would probably fall off her pony. grin

OtterInaSkoda Mon 17-Aug-09 15:20:08

I know a Phoenix and she is most definately NOT chavvy! I like it, btw. Her name doesn't get shortened but I guess when she grows up she might be a Fee.

Megglevache Mon 17-Aug-09 15:46:39

I love it. I know one lady who has a Phoenix and another who has a "Fifi"

Ladyem Mon 17-Aug-09 15:54:36

Sorry, really don't like it, but if you love it then you should go with it as whatever you choose there will be someone who doesn't like it! Otherwise we'd all call our DCs the same name!

logi Mon 17-Aug-09 16:16:07

lovely name my cousins daughter is Jersey Phoenix,i love unusual names.

Fimbo Mon 17-Aug-09 16:23:42

An mn'r has a daughter called Phoenix.

MarshaBrady Mon 17-Aug-09 16:26:21

Not keen, as not really my taste.

But if you really like it you should just go for it.

Bessie123 Mon 17-Aug-09 16:29:25

Phoenix? Ha ha.

Seriously?

MaggieBeauLeo Mon 17-Aug-09 16:44:00

Fimbo, I didn't know that , but I suppose statistically it's inevitable...

I don't think people should reveal what their children's names are on the names board. It makes it difficult to say what you really think, if you know that somebody is going to appear and say 'that's rubbish, my **(*( is not a stripper/showgirl/dog/bottle of wine.

blondissimo Mon 17-Aug-09 17:35:18

Yes there is an mner with a daughter of that name, my cousin also is a Phoenix - both are the complete opposite of chav!!

LetThemEatCake Mon 17-Aug-09 22:15:26

hello I am the Mner with a daughter called Phoenix. She (and we) are almost definitely not chavvy, although I accept that the name could be taken to be a bit chav-tastic, esp with the Mel B connection.

we love the name Phoenix, it suits her beautifully (see my profile if you don't believe me!!!) and of course we've had the odd cocked eyebrow and the occasion "Oh... That's ...unusual" but for the most part reactions have been positive.

We chose it because of the mythical meaning of the bird rising from the ashes rather than any celeb-stalkerdom - we felt it was a really positive name with overtones of immortality. Also imp't for us was the fact that we'd lost our first daughter at 20 weeks pg so we liked the connotations of rebirth and hope that the name holds.

She's Phoenix Isabella, btw.

(Hello megglevache and thank you!! xx)

LetThemEatCake Mon 17-Aug-09 22:17:28

oh, and she doesn't get an abbreviations - except that her little brother (20 months) can't say it and calls her Eeeeeeee

MiL tried Feenie once and never tried it again. why would you take such a strong beautiful name and make it sound so twiddly and pathetic?

Occasionally I call her Nixietrixiebelle.

Megglevache Mon 17-Aug-09 22:26:53

LTEC! I didn't think you lived here any more ! grin

LetThemEatCake Mon 17-Aug-09 22:28:04

are you mad, I am due in 5 weeks!! have to get opinions on my chavvy name choices!!

Megglevache Mon 17-Aug-09 22:32:09

LOL, you still set on A for a boy?

LetThemEatCake Mon 17-Aug-09 22:33:06

FBing you now ... x

mathanxiety Tue 18-Aug-09 02:50:37

I like it but fear it would be shortened to (K)Nickers.

LetThemEatCake Wed 19-Aug-09 19:54:26

Knickers!!! classic. I will be on the listen-out for that one!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now