Talk

Advanced search

Is this cruel?!

(17 Posts)
RosiePosieFlump Sun 16-Aug-09 15:24:24

Hello there,

I love, love, love the name Edward, but our surname is Murphy - would it be very cruel to call our son this? hmm

LOl no should be fine imo

pranma Sun 16-Aug-09 15:28:08

Why would it be cruel?Eddie Murphy connection wont be made by other childre.

differentID Sun 16-Aug-09 15:30:32

Would get commented on by adults. Maybe by kids when they're a bit older as the actor is still working.

However given my personal opinion on the actor- that he seems to be a dickhead of the highest order- I wouldn't use the name.

PuppyLoves Sun 16-Aug-09 15:32:15

Agree with diff ID.

Its also not worth the hassle of people commentating on it all the time, it will really start to annoy you

FaintlyMacabre Sun 16-Aug-09 15:46:23

Unless you plan to call him Eddie from day 1 I wouldn't give it a second thought. Edward (or Ted/Ed/Ned) Murphy does not immediately call to mind Eddie Murphy.

florence2511 Sun 16-Aug-09 17:27:57

Agree with Faintly there.

I was wondering why it would be cruel to name a boy Edward Murphy!! I didn't even make the connection at first.

I think you'll be fine.

Fillyjonk Sun 16-Aug-09 17:34:46

i think its fine

MamaLazarou Sun 16-Aug-09 17:38:12

Not cruel, no, but people are bound to 'helpfully' point it out at every opportunity.

mathanxiety Mon 17-Aug-09 03:18:37

How about Eamonn, Irish version of Edward? Goes better with Murphy imo. Pronounced Ay-mon, emphasis on the first syllable. I think of Donkey in Shrek when I think of Eddie Murphy. If you go with Edward, then take control of the nn situation early, and avoid Eddie.

ninedragons Mon 17-Aug-09 03:46:46

Eddie Murphy is already washed-up. By the time your DS hits school he'll be long gone in popular memory.

Bumplet09 Mon 17-Aug-09 19:09:02

Does have a slight comedy factor. Ever considered changing your surname wink

RosiePosieFlump Mon 17-Aug-09 22:24:23

Looks like a divided opinion on this! I do love the name and yes I would change my surname if I could!!!

The other name I like is Toby, but IMO Toby Murphy sounds a bit like a womble!

piscesmoon Mon 17-Aug-09 22:29:33

Some names you just have to avoid because of your surname. I wouldn't have Edward and I'm afraid Toby doesn't go either.

lowrib Mon 17-Aug-09 22:39:28

How about Edward as a middle name? You could still use it but the connection wouldn't be so obvious then.

It doesn't help that Eddie Murphy comes across as such an arsehole these days.

MaggieBeauLeo Mon 17-Aug-09 22:39:58

Don't worry. My name is the same name as a writer. It doesn't matter. Sometimes people point it out to me and I say, 'yes'.

That's it. grin

stillfrazzled Tue 18-Aug-09 10:20:30

Just call him Ted. I like it BTW.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now