Talk

Advanced search

Maddeleine.

(31 Posts)
pamelat Sun 16-Aug-09 09:51:22

Out of interest (only ttc) but do you think its acceptable/"allowed" to use the name Maddeleine nowadays with Maddeleine Mc Canns disappearance?

I love the name but worry that it has negative connotations and that its a bit like taking her name?

In my real life, people are saying its not really acceptable to use it.

FritesMenthe Sun 16-Aug-09 09:56:46

Tricky one. My DD is Madeleine and I sometimes feel a bit awkard if I call her name in public.

pamelat Sun 16-Aug-09 09:58:53

Its just such a beautiful name. How old is yours?

piscesmoon Sun 16-Aug-09 10:01:09

I think it is a pretty name and quite acceptable. I would spell it with one d.

GrimmaTheNome Sun 16-Aug-09 10:02:42

hmm I think you know some odd people IRL. A name is a name. It doesn't belong to anyone in particular.

I dunno, I'd guess if you were thinking of their feelings the McCanns wouldn't like it if there would be no more Maddies for years to come because of what happened to theirs.

seeker Sun 16-Aug-09 10:09:44

Fine to use the name - but spell it properly. With one D.

GirlsAreLoud Sun 16-Aug-09 10:12:16

No idea why you wouldn't use it.

screamingabdab Sun 16-Aug-09 11:32:07

I think it's a lovely name, but it's spelt Madeleine

hippipotamiHasLost55lbs Sun 16-Aug-09 11:34:52

One 'd', only one 'd'
A lovely name with one 'd' smile

Yes, use it. What happened to MMC is tragic but don't use the name because of that. Of course it is acceptable /allowed. hmm

hippipotamiHasLost55lbs Sun 16-Aug-09 11:35:21

Gah!
But don't not use the name etc...

mamadoc Sun 16-Aug-09 11:51:17

I named my DD Madeleine and then 10 days later Madeleine McCann was abducted. I still don't regret it though. It is my DDs name to me and has no other connotations.
Tragic though it is eventually people will forget about the McCann case.
The only thing I don't like is people assuming Maddie is short for Madison which seems to be more popular round my way.

pagwatch Sun 16-Aug-09 11:57:30

My DD is also the same age as Madeleine McCann and other than in the first months after her disapperance when ( lets be honest) the world was full of weirdos freaking out, the connection is not an issue any more.And she is nearly 7 but remains Madeleine - no one shortens it.

If you have people in your real life that feel it is unacceptable then don't use it. But FWIW I think that the people you are talking to are very odd and mawkish.

And do spell it properly won't you smile

MaggieBeauLeo Sun 16-Aug-09 11:59:33

My daughter is only 6 months older than Madeleine McCann, and it was on my list too. She has mousey brown straight hair and although she doesn't look like her, like FritesMenthes says, calling out the name in public TO a child of the same age wiht light brown hair, well, that'd be enough to have some loons called 999. If my dd was Madeleine, I think I would have shortened it to Ellen..

pointydog Sun 16-Aug-09 12:11:16

Lovely name. Perfectly acceptable. One d

TheHappyCamper Sun 16-Aug-09 12:39:26

My dd is Madeleine. She is 4 months old. It was really the only girls name we both absolutely loved.

We did think about the Madeleine McCann connecection but felt it would be awful for there never to be any more Madeleines in the world after her. It is very tragic but life goes on.

We didn't tell a soul before she was born what names we had picked and no-one has said anything negative since she was born. Most people just say it's a gorgeous name. She sometimes gets Maddie, but I like to call her Madeleine mostly smile - it really suits her.

(oh, and def one d only wink! - MIL says it's the French spelling?!)

suwoo Sun 16-Aug-09 12:46:07

My dd is called Madeleine, it is a beautiful name. She is 7.5 though so was named well before the disappearance. My Madeleine is always very interested in Madeleine McCann and scours the papers for stories about her hmm.

Go for it!

thedailyfemale Sun 16-Aug-09 12:58:56

"I love the name but worry that it has negative connotations and that its a bit like taking her name?"
but MmC was a pretty little innocent girl. I find it hard to negativity in that.

Its a pretty name. If you like it, use it

katiestar Sun 16-Aug-09 13:11:20

So would you not use Sarah ,Holly , jessica Shannon as well ?

zookeeper Sun 16-Aug-09 13:16:56

the name for me will always make me think of the Mcann Madelaine - whether that's good or bad I don't know.

fishflange Sun 16-Aug-09 13:19:14

Ummmm, my baby was going to be Kirstie but she was born the week of that dreadful case of the father slaughtering his animals and then his wife and daughter. I couldn't use it after that.
Don't hate me.
Pamelat, I think that the fact you have worried enough to post means it's on your mind and always will be. Nothing to be ashamed of.

Nighbynight Sun 16-Aug-09 13:36:09

Very beautiful name, I don't see why it should be not acceptable.

pamelat Sun 16-Aug-09 13:36:26

sorry one "d", not concentrating today, lack of sleep last night.

Madeleine went missing the weekend of our wedding day so maybe its more on my "mind" that Shannon, Holly, Jessica etc.

When DD was born I voiced using it and was greeted by cries of "you can't, how awful" etc etc.

It would be interesting to see what has happened to its popularity since then.

Consensus seems to be its ok, thats good smile

pamelat Sun 16-Aug-09 13:44:07

Sorry just re read my last post and the etc is badly placed. I did not mean the girls names and then etc.

I meant that my reasons were "etc" for it meaning more, with the timing of the wedding.

Its all getting a little too complicated! I will keep quiet. Had 3 hours sleep last night with a fractious 18 month old DD!

Meglet Sun 16-Aug-09 13:55:14

I think it's fine. My dd has the same name as a girl who was killed and the story is still in the news, doesn't bother me.

merlin36 Sun 16-Aug-09 18:22:23

i love the name and always wanted it my dd was born last year but i just couldn,t go through with the name as i feel the name is for ever associated with madeleine mcann

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now