Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Stanley

(24 Posts)
KAEKAE Sat 15-Aug-09 14:54:25

What are you thoughts? Anyone considering this name?!

A friend of mine has just named her baby this..its not to my taste, but then it doesn't need to be...I just seem to always think "Stan the man".

cheesesarnie Sat 15-Aug-09 14:54:46

i love it

LaurieFairyCake Sat 15-Aug-09 14:57:59

I like it

but it is Cath Kidston's dog's name and appears on lots of her products

so I wouldn't

pippylongstockings Sat 15-Aug-09 15:15:10

I think it is a fab name - I really wished we had called ds2 this. I think it is really strong name and I like the shortening on Stan.

But I know my mum thought it sounded like a bin-man.

tummytickler Sat 15-Aug-09 16:11:46

I find it a bit boring tbh.

mrswoolf Sat 15-Aug-09 18:35:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mathanxiety Sat 15-Aug-09 19:38:14

V. popular in Polish circles in the U.S., where it's an Americanised version of Stanislaus, which I actually prefer. Barack Obama's mother was named Stanley...

TiggyR Sat 15-Aug-09 20:28:36

My DS2 and DS3 had Stanley on both their shortlists (they are 14 and ten). I was over-ruled by the entire world both times! I still think it's groovy though.

TinyPawz Sat 15-Aug-09 20:33:10

I tend to hear a name and immediately associate the new baby with the traits of an adult with the same name.

For that reason alone, I hate the name Stanley. The is the name of my cheating ex husband.

RetroMum1 Sat 15-Aug-09 21:00:58

I love it and it is wavering between number 1 and 2 on our list but I think next year it is going to be in the top 20 as it has become very popular, especially around here so that has put me off a bit.

lockets Sat 15-Aug-09 21:07:16

Message withdrawn

MummyDragon Sat 15-Aug-09 21:13:02

I love it. Would have called DD Stanley if she'd been a boy.

jellybeans Sun 16-Aug-09 13:01:34

I really really dislike it. Reminds me of old men and 'Stan the Man'.

Thunderduck Sun 16-Aug-09 15:38:22

I'm with Jellybeans. I don't like it at all.

5inthebed Sun 16-Aug-09 15:41:45

My dad is called Stanley, so would assciate it with a short balding old man grin.

MaggieBeauLeo Sun 16-Aug-09 15:44:43

I personally don't like it, I don't like ARthur either. It's like calling a dog a cat to me. iykwim.

But, I know a lot of people disagree, so it's an ok name, just not to my taste at all.

MaggieBeauLeo Sun 16-Aug-09 15:47:16

". Barack Obama's mother was named Stanley... "

I wonder if this is why ck evans (a psychologist with a huge interest in etymology) predicts that STanley (and Finley) will be girls' names in 30 years.

They don't seem feminine to me.

pania Sun 16-Aug-09 16:55:04

I think it's awful, sorry.

mathanxiety Mon 17-Aug-09 02:34:09

I think it's the -ley endings with the long E sound that will cause the change. Barack Obama's mother was Stanley Ann. After all, look at Courtney and Whitney, originally surnames, I think, then boys' names, now overwhelmingly girls', thanks possibly to the long E sound. Ashley and Madison were once popular boys' names (in 19th century America), but Madison has the Maddie/Madeleine connection and I honestly don't know how Ashley made the jump, except there again is the -ley ending with the long E.
Again, if I was going down that road, I'd go for Stanislaus.

MamaLazarou Mon 17-Aug-09 08:30:03

It's a smashing name, and would be on my shortlist if I hadn't recently worked for a well-known American investment bank with the same name!

(Although strangely, a colleague working there recently named his son Morgan... weird!)

simplesusan Mon 17-Aug-09 11:27:13

Well seeing as though you asked..........

I think it is awful.

Madmentalbint Mon 17-Aug-09 11:33:00

I used to hate it and may even have sniggered a little when I heard someone had recently named their baby Stanley. But as so often happens with baby names I now actually love it and would def consider it for mine if I were to have one - which I'm not.

GooseyLoosey Mon 17-Aug-09 11:38:25

To me it still sounds an old fashioned name but I do know at least one little Stan so others obviously like it.

twosofar Tue 18-Aug-09 20:04:58

My Stanley is 3.5 and it works for him. We live in Dulwich, South London and don't know of any others at the moment, although there was a v posho one of about 9 in A&E last time we were there. It never gets shortened to Stan by anyone although I'm sure that will change as he grows up. Everybody always says how lovely it is when we tell them his name, especially the old folk we bump into. It's a grand name!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now