Talk

Advanced search

If you're naming baby after someone can you change the spelling?

(6 Posts)
AudreyII Sat 15-Aug-09 13:40:15

Obviously you can but does that defeat the point of being named after someone? I can't decide! The original name is a unusual spelling of a common name, but I am not keen on unusual spellings of common names as I think it's annoying to always have to correct people.

ludog Sat 15-Aug-09 14:47:14

When I had dd1 I named her after my sister, but used the Irish version of her name. In my mind she was named for her aunt even if the names sound different. If you prefer the more popular spelling then I would go with that. HTH.

TiggyR Sat 15-Aug-09 21:00:08

I agree about silly spellings - hate them (unless it is the original correct spelling of a gaelic name for example). Have what you prefer and use the 'ease of use' as a perfectly sound reason.

AudreyII Sun 16-Aug-09 16:18:04

Thakns both. Tiggy - the original spelling is authentic, just not the 'default' spelling here in the UK (not even the second common spelling either)

AudreyII Sun 16-Aug-09 16:25:10

oh and the name is v popular at the moment, so in some ways I'd like to keep the original spelling but the popularity of the name will surely just lead to people 'default' spelling it anyway. But then again changing the spelling might look too much like we're trying to change the name to deliberately make it different to the popular version...oh I'm so confused!! It's all so emotive this naming business!

kathyis6incheshigh Sun 16-Aug-09 16:35:36

My ds is Iain, named after his grandfather who was Ian.
I don't think it does defeat the point!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now