Talk

Advanced search

6 weeks to go and I think we're settled on....

(27 Posts)
LetThemEatCake Sat 15-Aug-09 11:08:51

Leon Magnus for a boy
Anoushka Emiliana for a girl

dd is Phoenix Isabella, ds is Cassian William.

good? bad? indifferent?

blinks Sat 15-Aug-09 11:11:12

liking Leon, not liking Anoushka Emiliana.

PestoMonster Sat 15-Aug-09 11:11:43

I love your girl names, but I really don't like your boy names.
But, each to their own.

PuppyMonkey Sat 15-Aug-09 11:13:15

They all sound a bit harsh to me!

Cataline Sat 15-Aug-09 11:13:18

Lovely! grin

jellybeans Sat 15-Aug-09 12:12:04

I like Leon, not keen on Magnus but it is OK as a middle name. Not keen on your girls name, sorry. Nothing wrong with it at all, just not one I would choose.

annasmami Sat 15-Aug-09 12:19:57

Leon has been THE most popular (well, at least in the top 3) German boys' name for the past 10 years, so to my ears it is a little too boring/common.... of course, if you live in the UK that may not bother you smile.

Anoushka - not sure how you'd proncounce it actually... A-nush-ka?

LOVE Magnus and Emilia (rather than Emiliana)!!

blinks Sat 15-Aug-09 14:50:25

emiliana sounds like one of those sinister lifelike victoriana porcelain dolls on sale in sunday supplements.

<shudder>

MrsMattie Sat 15-Aug-09 16:13:54

Love Leo and Anouska. Great names.

Emiliana and Magnus = no comment.

MrsMattie Sat 15-Aug-09 16:14:18

Sorry, Leon.

LetThemEatCake Sat 15-Aug-09 17:34:47

We've chosen Emiliana after this singer - we were introduced to her music after the loss (at 20 weeks) of our first dd and associate her/ her music with that time and our whole grieving/ healing process.

So I completely appreciate that it's not everyone's cup of tea, but it's special/ meaningful to us. Definitely a 2nd name rather than a 1st name choice though.

MamaLazarou Sat 15-Aug-09 18:09:35

Lovely names.

blinks Sat 15-Aug-09 18:12:22

wish you'd mentioned that in your OP LTEC... i would have kept my big fat gob shut.

who cares what anyone else thinks anyway.

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Sat 15-Aug-09 18:47:11

I know a Phoenix Leon...how funny, cos they are both unusual names! I love Leon, Anoushka is pretty too. Middle names not my cup for tea, but then they aren't really important and if they are meaningful to you that's the point. My friend (female)'s middle name is Trenchard. Not exactly lovely but meaningful...

TiggyR Sat 15-Aug-09 20:56:44

I think Emiliana is very pretty and elegant.

Love Anoushka. Not wild about Magnus or Leon, but don't hate them. Speaking of popular German names, some German friends recently called their DS Julius. Now to an English ear that is lovely - and unusual.

slowreadingprogress Sat 15-Aug-09 21:06:26

I've always preferred Leo to Leon personally. Think Leo Magnus is a better match and rolls off the tongue more easily!

LetThemEatCake Sun 16-Aug-09 10:15:20

blinks - don't be daft, I was looking for honest opinions!! your comment about the porcelain dolls made me laugh, didn't offend me - and, crucially, didn't put me off. Unlike the person who used the word 'fussy' in connection with Atticus a few weeks ago - put me right off!! All my visions of gorgeous Gregory Peck were replaced by a fastidious little man with a Hitleresque moustache grin

Emiliana is probably a name that I would have cocked an eyebrow at a few years ago, but I have come to love it, iyswim.

I love Leon, don't like Leo at all. Strange how one letter makes all the difference!!

My MiL quite obviously does not like Anoushka and is becoming increasingly desperate in her attempts to suggest alternatives. Yesterday we had Bliss and Savannah. Er, yes, if you would like them to be reality TV stars....

PuppyLoves Sun 16-Aug-09 15:44:54

Love Anoushaka, have done ever since I read a book with the main character called it, when I was little.

Leon is too boring though, esp. next to cassiuis which I also love.

Magnus - horrible and hard sounding.

PuppyLoves Sun 16-Aug-09 15:46:49

Is Emiliana pronounced like Seminilla (sp.)? If so that would put me off

LetThemEatCake Sun 16-Aug-09 21:11:27

it's Em-ill-ee-aa-na

do you mean Salmonella???

my son's name is Cassian, not Cassius (or Cassiuis!!)

PuppyLoves Sun 16-Aug-09 22:39:45

No I mean Semolina, as in the horrible disgusting pudding they used to serve up with school dinners in the 1950's. Sounds very much like Emiliana.

Excuse typos from earlier, I was typing whilst doing Sunday lunch. I meant Cassian, which I would have thought was obvious.

LetThemEatCake Sun 16-Aug-09 22:49:24

no worries - am so accustomed to saying "no it's Cassian, not Cassius" that it's like a reflex.

dunno about Semolina. Never had school dinner, didn't go to school in this country and, fortunately, wasn't around in the 1950s!!

PuppyLoves Sun 16-Aug-09 22:50:58

Its foul

Heated Sun 16-Aug-09 22:54:01

Really, really like Magnus but Leon works very well with your other dcs. I prefer the slightly softer Anusha but again Anoushka fits well with Phoenix and Cassian.

Fimbo Sun 16-Aug-09 22:55:13

I like Anoushka. Not sure about Leon, perhaps because I know one who gets on my nerves.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now