Talk

Advanced search

Oh dear, curse those twilight books

(9 Posts)
Southwestwhippet Thu 13-Aug-09 10:23:04

DH and I have been set on Isabelle for a girl for months now.

But we are both extraoridarily culturally UNaware about many things and I have only just read the Twilight books. It was only when I mentioned them to a couple of mates/sisters I realised how mainstream/cult popular the series is (and also that there is a film which I guess I kinda new but hadn't registred).

I most upset and concerned that there is about to be born an entire generation of Isabelles/Isabellas. DH seems unconcerned, but he doesn't believe there was a generation of Harrys after Harry Potter either.

am I worrying too much? I don't want my child to have the same name as everyone in her class especially if everyone will then think she has been named after a character in a cult film.

mrswoolf Thu 13-Aug-09 10:56:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Issy123 Thu 13-Aug-09 11:02:02

It is very popular already, I'm an Isabel in her mid 30s did not know any growing up but there are lots now.

boodleboot Thu 13-Aug-09 14:32:15

i know of six isabelle/izabella/isobel variations born in the last 18 months....way too popular a name to consider for me....nothing to do with the film i don't think...it seems to be the new emily....

Stigaloid Thu 13-Aug-09 14:41:21

There are about 6 isabella's/e's in one girls lass at school and i know of 4 under the age of 3 at church. It is increibly popular now. Am gutted as wanted to call my DD Isabella but it is just too common place and DH doesn't want to. beautiful name though.

Cluttergump Thu 13-Aug-09 14:43:22

seems to be the failsafe fallback position for mums at the min.....beautiful as it is it just sounds so tired now to my ears....

MrsMattie Thu 13-Aug-09 14:58:14

It's got to be the most popular girls name already (or variations of it, anyway). Very pretty, but already a top 5 name, methinks.

Southwestwhippet Thu 13-Aug-09 15:14:52

Thanks all, I didn't realise that

Back to the drawing board methinks...

NorkilyChallenged Thu 13-Aug-09 15:18:14

It's a lovely name but HUGELY popular (esp if you count all the variants, Isobel, Isabella, etc). As everyone has said, has been that way for a while.

If keen to avoid popular names then you need to have a look at recent top 10/20 name lists and that will let you know if a name you're considering is already quite popular (can't tell you if it's miraculously about to become popular just as you choose it though wink)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now