Talk

Advanced search

Leon - too common?

(24 Posts)
LetThemEatCake Wed 12-Aug-09 08:02:12

other opinions?

MIAonline Wed 12-Aug-09 08:11:38

Sorry, but the only Leons I have known have come from 'challenging' families.

MIAonline Wed 12-Aug-09 08:13:13

Having said that you soon forget a pre conception of a name when another child owns it iyswim. Don't let it put you off if you love it.

LetThemEatCake Wed 12-Aug-09 08:14:04

define challenging!!??

MIAonline Wed 12-Aug-09 08:35:41

Erm, oh I really don't want to get flamed, but..

You know the shouty type, where anything that can be said is shouted and have a slightly confrontational edge to any conversation. I have known 2 and both came from a family like this. The children were actually lovely though.

MrsBadger Wed 12-Aug-09 08:44:35

as in 'LEON! Stop 'ittin Chardonnay with that ashtray and get over 'ere RIGHT NOW!' ? grin

actually I quite like it, less soft and ineffectual than Leo

MIAonline Wed 12-Aug-09 08:52:43

Well I couldn't have possibly put it like that MrsBadger...

But, Yes grin

letThemEatCake, It is a good name and don't listen to me, I am only going on a personal experience rather than a reaction to the name iyswim

pippylongstockings Wed 12-Aug-09 08:54:52

I like Leon - but that's because I liked the film.

MrsBadger Wed 12-Aug-09 08:58:34

grin

but it is not poncily HaTShIT* either

(Hard To Shout In Tesco)

LetThemEatCake Wed 12-Aug-09 09:10:22

Oh my word.

I only know two Leons, bothi n my age group, both from good families. Don't know any child Leons at all.

I find myself being strangely drawn to it, perhaps more so than Magnus (hitherto my 1st choice) ... possibly sounds a bit less stodgy, a bit more, I dunno, mercurial.

Does it go with Phoenix and Cassian, dyt?

{{wanders off to ponder whether am shouty, confrontational type .. suspect DH would say yes but surely that is only my home, not Sainsbury's, behaviour....??}}

MrsBadger Wed 12-Aug-09 09:17:16

oh if you have a Phoenix and a Cassian there is no danger of the Chardonnay/ashtray scenario

agree Magnus does sound quite serious, but I like that in a name - he could be secretly creative rather than flamboyant, iyswim. Like an architect who wears black polo necks and rimless glasses but designs magnificent flowing curved glass museums. [MrsB gets carried away]

(NB do you not find Phoenix HaTShIT?)

MIAonline Wed 12-Aug-09 09:32:50

It goes really well with Phoenix and Cassian and just from those names I think you will be fine, now if your other two were called Mercedes and Paris I would worry. wink

<MIA digs another hole for herself with MNers with Dc called Mercedes and Paris>

I loved MrsBadgers description of Magnus though, he sounds quite a catch! grin

LetThemEatCake Wed 12-Aug-09 09:34:23

I don't shout in Tesco!! In fact, I don't shop in Tesco!!

But if I do need to shout her name for any reason, well, it's only 2 syllables ... where's the difficulty?? grin

pointydog Wed 12-Aug-09 09:36:25

I don't know any Leons. It's ok.

Heated Wed 12-Aug-09 09:43:46

Leon goes well with Phoenix and Cassian imo

jellybeans Wed 12-Aug-09 13:09:28

I like it. I know two, none are as described.

LetThemEatCake Wed 12-Aug-09 16:53:47

Leon. Leon.

what would be a good second name?

MaggieBelleVirgo Wed 12-Aug-09 17:04:14

i LOVE Leo, not sure about Leon.

I like quite churchy names. Not religious at all.

BitOfFun Wed 12-Aug-09 17:10:42

I knew loads of Leons back in the day. Often with sisters called Rosa, and all of them with Marxist parents from Islington grin

LetThemEatCake Wed 12-Aug-09 17:13:48

i do remember studying the RR at uni and having quite the crush on Trotsky.

Basically I like strong, regal names that sound like they are - or could be - linked to a myth or fable.

so: Leon or Magnus???

gladders Wed 12-Aug-09 17:16:15

definitely Leon. Have only ever know one. he was very sweet - blond hair and blue eys - he must be about 35 now grin

Magnus - ok if you're from Iceland but otherwise meh

LetThemEatCake Wed 12-Aug-09 17:49:40

oh, I don't hold with this "you must be from the country of origin" stuff.

If I did, my kids would be called Shazza, Dazza, Gazza and Kazza.

itburnsitburns Wed 12-Aug-09 17:51:37

There is a MNer who has a Magnus and a Leon

they both suit their names very well

I like Leon a lot, one of my adult friends is called Leon and I often think what a lovely name it is.

LetThemEatCake Wed 12-Aug-09 18:58:50

it's funny. dh suggested it ages ago and I said no, but then Facebook suggested (in that annoying way that it does) a friend for me called Leon Magnusson .... and I've never been 101% about Magnus although it was top of my list .. and all of a sudden I started being irresistibly drawn to the name Leon ... let's see if I'm still keen next week!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now