Talk

Advanced search

Elizabeth or Elisabeth??

(26 Posts)
lotspot Wed 12-Aug-09 00:04:42

Which spelling do you prefer??
Are they both "real" spellings?
I'd never seen Elisabeth before but actually i think it looks really nice written down

Is it pronounced the same????

Thanks

gigglewitch Wed 12-Aug-09 00:05:50

Both fine imho smile

cthea Wed 12-Aug-09 00:18:39

Pr. the same. We have Elizabeth.

MamaLazarou Wed 12-Aug-09 08:38:26

Elizabeth is far better, IMO.

norktasticninja Wed 12-Aug-09 08:51:03

Elisabeth is a real spelling but I much prefer it with a z.

Claire2301 Wed 12-Aug-09 08:57:20

Elisabeth is used loads in France.

crumpet Wed 12-Aug-09 08:59:47

My dd has one of each in her class. Each year the mother of the Elisabeth complains that the new teacher hasn't spotted that it is spelled (spelt?) with an s not a z.

I think the s spelling is very pretty, but she would be condemned to a life of "it's spelled with an s not a z"

goodbook Wed 12-Aug-09 09:04:03

Had a friend who was an Elisabeth and it was constantly mispelled.

She signed herself as Lis so you have to think of possible abbreviations, Lis, Lissie, Lissy and decide if you like those.

I like it with an s, but perhaps not so practical outside France?

MrsBadger Wed 12-Aug-09 09:07:11

exactly what Crumpet says

they are pronounced the same

kando Wed 12-Aug-09 09:10:58

DD3 is Elizabeth but I really like the "s" version. DD3 was born in Holland - I think that's the way they spell ("Elisabeth") it there although their version is "Liesbeth" or something like that. Agree that she would be forever correcting someone on the spelling if it's with an s though - just like DD1 who's Katharyn and gets lots of variations of her name!

crumpette Wed 12-Aug-09 14:47:14

DD's middle name was Elisabeth. I liked it much more at the time because I didn't like 'Liz' so much (bad associations!) and felt it looked softer, also it was the original spelling.

For a first name, expect it to be written with a z all the time. I like the s version though smile

waves at crumpet again, excellent name grin

sillyoldfatcatpuss Wed 12-Aug-09 15:05:11

Honestly, you will be condemning her to a life of spelling her name if you with anything other than the 'z', and I speak as omeone with a slightly different spelled name from the 'norm'

mrswoolf Wed 12-Aug-09 15:08:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mrswoolf Wed 12-Aug-09 15:08:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HumphreyCobbler Wed 12-Aug-09 15:13:08

I have a name which is spelled with a less usual spelling and it is a royal pita. Elisabeth is pretty, but I would go with the z.

marialuisa Wed 12-Aug-09 15:47:50

Elisabeth for us, never had any probs with people assuming it's a Z.

jellybeans Wed 12-Aug-09 16:17:34

I would go with Elizabeth. then you can have Lizzy or Liz (I would have Beth).

MaggieBelleVirgo Wed 12-Aug-09 16:25:57

I prefer Elizabeth.

If you wanted to use Elsie or Elsa for short then I suppose Elisabeth might make more sense.

I prefer the look of Elizabeth. You shouldn't really mess with it without good reason.

MaElsie Wed 12-Aug-09 17:07:16

Elisabeth is closer to the original name - Elisheba - and is prettier, but the child would be forever spelling it down the phone.

everlong Wed 12-Aug-09 17:39:06

It's softer with the S I think.

pickyvic Wed 12-Aug-09 18:17:56

my dds middle name is elisabeth after he great great grandma. i like both, but liked elisabeth a little more.

lotspot Wed 12-Aug-09 18:55:03

An Elisabeth would forever be saying 'with an s not a z' wouldn't she? We have a surname that, although short, is always misheard so i think maybe subjecting her to having to say "Elisabeth with an s not a z, __ with a p not a h" might be too much

and it doesnt lead itself as well to lizzie which DH likes so i think the s has been scrapped for us!!!

lotspot Wed 12-Aug-09 18:55:23

An Elisabeth would forever be saying 'with an s not a z' wouldn't she? We have a surname that, although short, is always misheard so i think maybe subjecting her to having to say "Elisabeth with an s not a z, __ with a p not a h" might be too much

and it doesnt lead itself as well to lizzie which DH likes so i think the s has been scrapped for us!!!

dooneygirl Wed 12-Aug-09 18:57:37

DD's middle name is Elisabeth. I agree with everlong in that it looks so much softer with an "s" than a "z". That and it was a family name.

danthe4th Wed 12-Aug-09 19:26:16

My dd is Lizzie as in Elizabeth,I didn't even know about the s spelling, but when saying it I would say its pronounced differently.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now