Talk

Advanced search

Opinions on my current top names please

(25 Posts)
MiniMilk0610 Tue 11-Aug-09 19:24:08

Ok, so these are my current favourites names for DC #2, what does everyone think? Or any other suggestions?
I already have one DD who is called Isabelle, quite like some of the French based names...

Girls:
Alexandra
Chloe
Serena (although I would pronounce this with emphasis in middle se-RE-na worried it would get mis-pronounced)
Melodie
Juliette

Boys:
Joshua
Alexander
Thomas
Nathan
Cameron

Thank you x

nickytwotimes Tue 11-Aug-09 19:25:35

All nice names, but I particularly like Alexandra, Chloe and Juliette, Alexander, and Thomas.

macherie Tue 11-Aug-09 19:27:21

Juliettte and Alexander would be my choices.

MiniMilk0610 Tue 11-Aug-09 19:34:27

Thank you I like Alexander as well because that is the name I would've been given had I been a boy so a little bit more significance. Amazingly OH just said that actually he quite likes Juliette - he's pretty much objected to every suggestion I've made so far preferring names like Tyler for a boy & Cadence for a girl hmm hopefully he's beginning to come round to my way of thinking!! grin

notsoteenagemum Tue 11-Aug-09 19:35:12

Serena and Juliette are my favourites, Melodie is quite nice too.

Nathan is lovely followed by Thomas.

lena522 Tue 11-Aug-09 19:37:19

Alexandra- like, and plenty of nicknames form it as well- Alex, Lexie, etc.
Chloe- LOVE LOVE LOVE but only problem is its current popularity
Serena- like. How are you pronouncing it? I would personally pronounce it Ser-ee-na, and I know a girl who says it like this,but do you mean Ser-eh-na (with the sound as in the e in egg?) If so I'd advise against it as my full name is always mispronounced, and it is so annoying. I've even had people argue with me over how to pronounce it as there are 3 ways to say it and mine is probably the least known. I'd try and spell it to make sure the pronounciation is clear if you decide to go with this
Melodie- slightly different...like it.
Juliette- ok but not something I'd choose personally.

And I am a fan of all of your boys' names. I think Cameron is my favourite but IMO any one of those would be a good choice

saadia Tue 11-Aug-09 19:38:11

All nice - my faves are Alexandra and Nathan.

theowlwhowasafraidofthedark Tue 11-Aug-09 19:38:41

Juliette and joshua are my faves

FattipuffsandThinnifers Tue 11-Aug-09 19:39:27

Love all the boys names (especially as two of them are ds's first and middle name smile). Joshua and Alexander very popular atm though.

Love Serena, really pretty and not too popular.

LittleMissBliss Tue 11-Aug-09 19:41:20

favs for me are,

GIRL- Melodie
Serena

BOYS-Alexander
Thomas

piscesmoon Tue 11-Aug-09 19:45:31

Thomas, Alexander, Joshua, Alexandra, Chloe and Juliette-NO to the rest.

MiniMilk0610 Tue 11-Aug-09 19:47:07

Yeah, I'd want Serena pronounced Ser-eh-na, that was my worry, that people would assume it was with the 'ee' sound in the middle instead.
I love the name Joshua but was worried about its popularity (esp as Isabelle is so popular these days as well, oops!) OH hates the name Joshua anyway unfortunately so not sure I'd be able to convince him on that one
Thanks for all the opinions, will hopefully help with decision-making!

deepdarkwood Tue 11-Aug-09 19:47:13

Serena is lovely - and quite like Alexanra and Juliette

Thomas or Alexander for the boys names

Greensleeves Tue 11-Aug-09 19:48:35

none of them are awful

although Nathan, Joshua, Chloe and Juliette aren't to my personal taste - nothing WRING with them though

I really really like Alexandra and Alexander, have always liked them

Greensleeves Tue 11-Aug-09 19:49:03

WRONG not WRING
[crawls back down hole]

yama Tue 11-Aug-09 19:52:48

I've been hankering after Juliette for a while now (for any future dd). I can see it becoming very popular.

I have always loved it.

I love all of the rest of your names except Nathan. Nathan was the lead singer with Brother Beyond so reminds me of a chubby-faced 80's boyband member. That's only me though. wink

mathanxiety Sat 15-Aug-09 03:00:09

Isabelle and Alexandra might end up as Ally and Izzy. I like Juliette a lot though. Alexander I really like for a boy.

LadyMetroland Sat 15-Aug-09 10:01:09

I would only ever pronounce Serena SER-EEE-NA. Had no idea there was even another way of saying it. You'll probably find lots of people are like me! I think it's a lovely name.

For a boy, all of your names are nice apart from Nathan, imho.

MrsMattie Sat 15-Aug-09 10:08:13

Alexandra, Chloe & Serena are nice

Not so keen on Juliette (much prefer Juliet). melodie is pretty grim, sorry.

Your boy's names are all nice, if a bit 'vanilla', with the exception of Cameron - hate it, sorry.

orangehead Sat 15-Aug-09 10:14:54

Favourites Juliette, Alexander and Nathan

nickelbabe Sat 15-Aug-09 10:19:13

Serena is beautiful: whichever pronunciation you go for (although I would have said ser ee na as well)
and Melodie, Juliette, Joshua and Alexander are also lovely.

MaggieBeauLeo Sat 15-Aug-09 10:19:35

same as orangehead. Prefer Juliet to Juliette, but as you've gone for the frill with isabelle better keep it going.

Zoe is nicer than chloe and less popular.

jellybeans Sat 15-Aug-09 13:43:20

Alexandra..Not keen but like Alexa/Lexie
Chloe..nice but overdone
Serena...nice name, never heard it mispronounced
Melodie...like it alot, but not keen on Mel which you may get
Juliette...not keen but Julia is quite nice

Joshua...like Josh but it is sooo common
Alexander..not keen on unisex names (Alex, Sam etc) hate Al too.
Thomas...OK but boring
Nathan...love it
Cameron...OK

My faves are Nathan and Serena or Chloe.

loopylil Sat 15-Aug-09 21:01:38

just a thought that might help if its a factor but the only names there that can't really be shortened are chloe nathan and serena.....

loopylil Sat 15-Aug-09 21:03:48

only read your post not replies and just realised my post is identical to jellybeans... in which case agree with jellybeans !!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now