Talk

Advanced search

Anita?

(38 Posts)
KleineMaus Mon 10-Aug-09 23:18:46

I'm 33 weeks and I'm finding that not knowing what we're going to call the baby is making me feel really unsettled (actually we don't know the sex, but I want to have a name decided for each sex). For some reason I'm drawn towards names beginning with A. Top of my list is Astrid (but DH worried about the whole Ass thing...) I also like Anna, Anneka, Anya and have just started thinking about Anita. What do people think? Please feel free to suggest other A names.

snice Mon 10-Aug-09 23:21:15

Alice
Alicia
Andrea
Amelia
Ailsa

KleineMaus Mon 10-Aug-09 23:21:32

I forgot to mention Alys. For some reason, although they are the same name I find I like this spelling, but not Alice, which seems a bit twee in comparison. I think Alys is the Welsh version?

Heated Mon 10-Aug-09 23:39:24

Anna and Anya are simply lovely.

Please avoid Anita, it always reminds me of Tudor and Anita Bush of XRatedProductions (a TOG ref).

Rindercella Mon 10-Aug-09 23:46:58

Aine. Pronounced Awn-ya. Very pretty imo.

watsthestory Mon 10-Aug-09 23:51:34

Message withdrawn

Rindercella Mon 10-Aug-09 23:54:08

Aine is not awful. Sorry, you have just really upset me by saying that. Stupid me.

brimfull Mon 10-Aug-09 23:59:01

I like Aine-although I wouldnt have had a clue how to pronounce it.

I am not keen on Anita .

I like

Annabel
Anna
Annise
Andrea
Alexandra

watsthestory Tue 11-Aug-09 00:11:55

Message withdrawn

MamaG Tue 11-Aug-09 00:13:21

Alice and Anna are great

jauntinthesurf Tue 11-Aug-09 01:28:47

Anthea?

Rindercella Tue 11-Aug-09 09:22:46

My apologies too watsthestory. I shouldn't have posted that name. The Aine I knew was one of the most beautiful women I have ever met. She was bright, funny, kind and warm. She died earlier this year following a long illness - she was diagnosed with breast cancer while on maternity leave with her 2nd daughter. She was in her 30s with 2 under 5 DDs.

lotspot Tue 11-Aug-09 12:27:26

I love anita but then it was my Granny's name so that's why i love it - I'm not sure whether i would like it so much otherwise wink

I don't like Aine written down - sounds very pretty though

Annetta
Amber (not so keen on this myself but it begins with A)
Aislinn (I know an Ashlyn which i think is a beautiful spelling but depends whether you're a traditional spelling type (which i usually am!) or not)
Abigail

Fimbo Tue 11-Aug-09 12:29:33

Althea

MaggieBelleVirgo Tue 11-Aug-09 15:50:22

I know it's just fashion, but Anita sounds a little jaded.. not very glam. Anthea and Annabel sound more contemporary. Anna and Anya are nice too. Not sure about Anastasia. TOO long, so unless you'd be happy with jus Ana for short, don't do it.

I really don't like Astrid. I think of a seal.

MaggieBelleVirgo Tue 11-Aug-09 15:52:05

oh Althea, that's nice.

rasputin Tue 11-Aug-09 15:54:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

brimfull Tue 11-Aug-09 16:05:09

Agnes

screamingabdab Tue 11-Aug-09 18:13:50

I really like Anita, but I find when I mention that, other people tend not to agree....

I think it sounds quite glamorous, Latin American (Maria's friend in West Side Story)

Anna is nice

BottySpottom Tue 11-Aug-09 21:13:48

Rindercella - sad so sorry.

Sorry also that everyone else has just gone of posting after such a sad story!

bellissima Tue 11-Aug-09 21:36:57

Dunno about contemporary - to me Anthea is either ms chirpy Turner or, even older, 'give us a twirl...'. Having said that I like 'old' names like Anne, Anna, Alice. Always think of Annabel as somehow a would-be posh fairy on top of the Christmas tree...just trying too hard....

bellissima Tue 11-Aug-09 21:40:24

and Annetta to me also sounds like you are just trying to be posher than Annette - surely that's the proper name....

bellissima Tue 11-Aug-09 21:43:05

Although with Abigail I would enjoy sending out invitations to the party every year....

(okay, I'm done now and will shurrup. enough posts???)

Rindercella Tue 11-Aug-09 22:38:43

Botty, thanks smile. It was a totally inappropriate place to post that story though.

And sorry to KleineMaus for the rather odd hijack smile

Anothe A name to consider is Abitheah. Very unusual.

Firawla Wed 12-Aug-09 12:10:22

how about anisa? i think its got a softer/prettier sound than anita, but is quite similar

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now